Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rules and Racetiquette 0.2
Sorry for reposting this but I'd like to come to an end (even if a dead end). I added Juan's points and reformulated the one on qualifying laps after Martin's comments.
If there are no further comments, I will submit the list.
------------
BASIC RULES

• NEVER drive the wrong way.

• NEVER hit/bump/ram someone on purpose.

• If a BLUE FLAG appears in the upper left corner of the screen, you’re going to be lapped. Never try to fight for keep the place, leave space for the oncoming racer as soon as possible and it is safe to do so and let him pass. Yield the racing line, be predictable (e.g., don't brake while driving on the racing line at the pit straight) and never interfere with the race leaders or faster cars.

• If a YELLOW FLAG appears in the upper left corner of the screen, there is trouble ahead (incidents, one or more cars off the track…). Be careful, pay attention to what’s happening and slow down accordingly if necessary.

• You need to pass at least the rear of the car in front of you on the straight to gain the right to dispute on the braking. Don't try to dispute the place if you’re completely behind, especially entering the corners at high speed (“divebombing”).

• Always leave space for an opponent that is flanking you. Don't cut or push him out of the track.

• Don't make multiple sideways moves to defend your place. You’re only allowed to change racing line once in a straight.

• If you get off the track, always rejoin safely without interfering with oncoming racers. Use runway areas if available.

• If after a contact or a mistake you end up in the road, keep your car steady and wait for the traffic to come out and then rejoin the racing line safely. If you do this, people coming from behind in race speed can predict your position and then try to avoid you.

• Incidents after the finish line counts, so stop safely when the race is ended. Slow down gradually, or get out of the track as soon as possible. Do not stop right after the finish line since other racers may be approaching at high speed and hit you.

• On serving penalties, you may slow down standing on the best racing line only if no other racers are approaching, otherwise you have to leave the best racing line to the oncoming racers.

• Get out from the pits safely, checking that no other cars are approaching. Don’t cross the pit lane. Consider installing apps like Car Radar or Helicorsa in order to be always aware of the position of other cars.

• Always give space to others in qualify if you’re in a invalid or cool down lap. If you’re behind a slower car, consider slowing down yourself to create a convenient gap before starting a hotlap in order to be not involved in traffic.

• If you have to leave the race, do not sit down with the car neither on the track nor off the track. Get back to pits instead.

• Check your ping before racing. If it’s over 200, check your connection.
Do not race if your ping it’s too high.

• Chatting during the race is forbidden.

RACETIQUETTE

• Apologize with other racers via personal messages if you cause any harm, even if not voluntarily.

• Avoid verbal abuse in public chats. Check the replays before complain.

• Practicing is essential. Do not start a race if you aren’t used/confident with a car and/or a track since major inaccuracies may cause trouble to other drivers.

• If you overtake by hitting another car from behind, it would be appreciable to wait for your opponent and give him back the place if it is safe to do so.

• It's hard to win a race on T1 at the race start, but it is easy to lose it. Be extra careful on T1.
I survived lap 1. Now I can deal with anything in life.
Nice work, gives the noob like me a guideline how to not be an (unvoluntary ) jerk.

Shame i found it only after one week of competing.

One thing I think could be better:

One should ALWAYS clear the racing line when not going full tilt.
Especially serving a penalty and stop on the racing line is exceptionally dangerous.
I`d compare that to stopping on the highway. Even if you are shure that nobody is following, they will come at you very fast through the last corner.

MFG Carsten
I´d rather drive a slow car fast   Big Grin
(11-01-2020, 09:35 AM)Carsten Meyer Wrote:  Nice work, gives the noob like me a guideline how to not be an (unvoluntary ) jerk.

Especially serving a penalty and stop on the racing line is exceptionally dangerous.
I`d compare that to stopping on the highway. Even if you are shure that nobody is following, they will come at you very fast through the last corner.

MFG Carsten
Thanks for your comments, Carsten! We published this list on out team's site, and sent it also to SRS admins, it would be useful for all to take a look at it, I guess.

As for your comment, in my opinion leaving the racing line if no opponents are in the area should not be necessary. With charts and apps you can always be aware of other racers' position so you can serve the penalty accordingly, taking care that under no circumstances you obstacle other drivers.
Great Post, would be good for this to be pinned in all race threads and maybe others.
(11-01-2020, 10:14 AM)Gianluca Roncaglia Wrote:  
(11-01-2020, 09:35 AM)Carsten Meyer Wrote:  Nice work, gives the noob like me a guideline how to not be an (unvoluntary ) jerk.

MFG Carsten
Thanks for your comments, Carsten! We published this list on out team's site, and sent it also to SRS admins, it would be useful for all to take a look at it, I guess.

As for your comment, in my opinion leaving the racing line if no opponents are in the area should not be necessary. With charts and apps you can always be aware of other racers' position so you can serve the penalty accordingly, taking care that under no circumstances you obstacle other drivers.

Getting rid of those time penalty's would be even better. Because they cause more harm than good. There should be another kind of penalty, if that is possible.
(04-11-2021, 12:25 PM)Maurice Klerken Wrote:  
(11-01-2020, 10:14 AM)Gianluca Roncaglia Wrote:  

MFG Carsten

Getting rid of those time penalty's would be even better. Because they cause more harm than good. There should be another kind of penalty, if that is possible.

A time penalty that is added to the total race time could work, but I don't think AC supports that.
I like this rules very much.

I don't know if it is the correct post to ask that but, as a beginner, I would like a clarification about "divebombing": what's the correct behavior when the car in front of you brake very early?

Looking on YouTube videos I understood that the best way to avoid the car in front of you is to go for the outside of the corner, because the other car will "close" the line and going for the inside will cause a collision. But the closest you are to the car in front of you, the higher probability that it is already braking on the outside of the next corner (where the racing line is). So you have two way to avoid it, going for the inside or go offtrack on the outside (the third way being braking straight and punt it).

For what I can understand going for the inside in case of early braking by the car in front you is considered "divebombing", so what to do in this scenario?
(04-11-2021, 12:25 PM)Maurice Klerken Wrote:  
(11-01-2020, 10:14 AM)Gianluca Roncaglia Wrote:  

MFG Carsten

Agree, but I guess Kunos won't rewrite the code of the game Smile

(04-12-2021, 09:09 AM)Giovanni Michelini Wrote:  I like this rules very much.

I don't know if it is the correct post to ask that but, as a beginner, I would like a clarification about "divebombing": what's the correct behavior when the car in front of you brake very early?

Looking on YouTube videos I understood that the best way to avoid the car in front of you is to go for the outside of the corner, because the other car will "close" the line and going for the inside will cause a collision. But the closest you are to the car in front of you, the higher probability that it is already braking on the outside of the next corner (where the racing line is). So you have two way to avoid it, going for the inside or go offtrack on the outside (the third way being braking straight and punt it).
For what I can understand going for the inside in case of early braking by the car in front you is considered "divebombing", so what to do in this scenario?

I found this summary on how to move in a disputed corner very helpful:

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/...of-racing/

As you can see, there are still grey areas where it's difficult to determine who's in right in case of contacts. As for your question, I'd say: if possible, learn the driver before you, and keep a safe zone in terms of distance and racing line to prevent bumps/hits. This is certainly a racing skill.

Braking at the proper braking point is never to be marked as divebombing in my opinion, although especially at start when in the middle of the pack everyone must be (or at least should be) very careful and adapt the approach to a corner if necessary. To me, it is certainly divebombing when the chasing car tries to dispute the corner being fully behind the leading car at the braking point. 
Thank you Gianluca!

[Edit]

Sorry to bother you again and thanks for the link that I read carefully... And now I'm more confused than before! Big Grin

In the "5. Disputed over the apex" section is written that "if the attacker is less than half-way alongside" at the apex the defender as the right for the racing line (image below).

As the blue car, I will leave the space for the red car and not close the door. Instead it is considered a red car fault 

[Image: f1_apex_b.png]

In the section "7. Going around the outside" the rule said that "If the driver on the inside is ahead at corner exit, it is the duty of the driver on the outside to back out or take evasive action to avoid a collision." Again, as the red car, I will not take all the width on the exit, instead it is the blue car that has to slow down because it is not ahead at the apex.

[Image: f1_outside_behind.png]

Last but not least, at the end of the case studies this is defined a "brilliant overtake" but it seems "divebombing" by your previous definition 

link to the video

Am I leaving too much space to opponents or we race differently?
For our style of racing, normal you need to be at least halfway alongside at the turn in point to dispute a corner. So looking at number 5, the red car should be backing out as the blue car has the corner. In real racing you need to decide whether as the blue car you want to stack to your guns, as you're in the right, or not aim for the apex as if you do, you will get spun.

Looking at 7, again for us, you need to leave space all the way around the corner. No mater where you are on a track you are not allowed to run other cars off the track.

20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

Remember that it is stated that there aren't any actual ruse written down for the corner portion of a track in F1 rules, also F1 drivers are the best of the best whereas we are racing all comers.