Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Subject: Suggestion for a brand new SRS Series.
Subject: Suggestion for a brand new SRS Series.

Hello fellow racers.

I've been racing here in SRS, for a while now and for the most part, i've been having a lot of fun.
I used to have a lot more time than now, to be able to, before races, practice, make my own setups for each track, test the sets with fuel for the race length and so on and that way i could easily be wining races or at least top 3, in worst case top 5. And this was a necessity in order to be competitive.

Nowadays, i don't have a lot of free time, but since i still enjoy and miss sim racing, i've decided to do a test and just do some random SRS races, even if i don't have any time to practice, make setups or do any testing whatsoever, relying only on my experience.

The result wasn't bad...same incidents rate or even lower, managed to stay in or near top 5 or lower in best of cases, but using default setups when everybody are using track specific faster setups, can make the experience although very very challenging, also makes it very hard and frustrating, when you know that it's the setup that it's making you slow. At least for someone used to be faster.
I'm sure the lack of practice can make you a bit slower in quali, but on the race, the pace is there in 2 or 3 laps if you have some experience.

So this got me thinking...
" There gotta be more people in the same situation as me..."

There should be a lot of people in the same situation as myself, that like to sim race, but the lack of time, to test, build a good setup, practice hard and all this for each track of the series, makes them race slower than they will normally, there for frustrating or even that this fact makes them don't even race at all.

And a normal open setup series on SRS at the moment, kind of fails to really show who's really faster imho, it shows mainly who's got the most time and talent/experience to make a very good setup for each track and who's spends the most time to practice. Of course you got to be fast enough still to win or top 3, but the setups and practice does make a huge difference. And now i know this personally, because i've tested it.
And of course there are some fixed series most of the times...one or two if i'm not mistaken, but still not enough to be able to find something you like racing...and you will still find racers that will practice until their wheels fall off, every day.

And all this gave an idea.... Idea

A brand new concept for two SRS Series... Dedicated to all sim racers without a lot of free time.

The all new " Inopinatus series " ( unexpected, sudden, unforeseen, unaware in Latin ), a new series bringing something new to SRS and dedicated to show the driver's pure talent to simply drive and their quick adaptability to any circuit and car, where lots of time to practice or to make better setups won't be a factor to determine who's really the best and the faster driver.

The Inopinatus Basic series, would be a 20 minutes race, 10 minutes qualify, 5 minutes practice, once a week, fixed setup, one car model only that would be known, but all tracks would be hidden and unknown...a surprise. You will only know the track once you're on the server.

And The Inopinatus Extreme series, that would be also a 20 minutes race, 10 minutes qualify, 5 minutes practice, once a week, fixed setup, to drivers who have all AC DLC's, unknown cars and each one different for each track, all tracks would be also hidden and unknown. You will only know the track and the car once you're on the server.

I though about the name "Inopinatus" series and also on "Russian roulette" series...can't decide yet, hehehe. Big Grin

Well, this is just an idea, a suggestion...but i personally think it would add something new, interesting and practical for people lacking free time.

Feedback would be great. Wink

Cheers.
This idea sounds fun and could show who is best at adapting to new situations. I think the Isolation eRacing Series for real world drivers did this concept on iRacing for their most recent races; the drivers only knew the car and track combination an hour or two before the race.

I think from the technical side you would need to know the track before joining the race to make sure everyone has it installed and up to date, but maybe only release it an hour before? Another problem would be the potential for a lot of incidents if people get to a race not knowing if it goes left or right.

The execution and implementation might need some adjustments but I really like the concept! Great name as well!
If I got an hour of notice before the race, that'd be about as much practice as I usually have before each race each week, so this would pretty much change nothing for me. Big Grin

Sounds like a great idea for a closed league, and a nightmare of mishaps for something like SRS.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(07-28-2020, 10:17 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  If I got an hour of notice before the race, that'd be about as much practice as I usually have before each race each week, so this would pretty much change nothing for me. Big Grin

Sounds like a great idea for a closed league, and a nightmare of mishaps for something like SRS.
Quite possibly a nightmare! The point is that it would change something for you because everyone would have that amount of preparation instead of you playing catch up.
This a pretty cool idea. I really like the name Inopinatus, sounds classy and sophisticated. The idea reminds me of the competition server for ACC, where sometimes the track is revealed only when the registration period for the race is over and the weather could be set to anything. I'm definitely one person who benefits from having a lot of free time for practice and setups at the moment, so a series like this would definitely knock me down the pecking order a bit I reckon.
(07-28-2020, 08:09 PM)Dominic ORourke Wrote:  This idea sounds fun and could show who is best at adapting to new situations. I think the Isolation eRacing Series for real world drivers did this concept on iRacing for their most recent races; the drivers only knew the car and track combination an hour or two before the race.

I think from the technical side you would need to know the track before joining the race to make sure everyone has it installed and up to date, but maybe only release it an hour before? Another problem would be the potential for a lot of incidents if people get to a race not knowing if it goes left or right.

The execution and implementation might need some adjustments but I really like the concept! Great name as well!

[quote pid='40490' dateline='1595966943']
Hi and tks for the feedback.

Regarding the "technical side" you have mentioned, there's really a easy fix...On SRS forum there's a Thread dedicated to supply the links to all the tracks and car mods that are not included on the original Assetto Corsa. You just have to make sure to download all of it...and i'm sure most of SRS users have most of that content already if not all of it on their computers.
On the incidents matter...well the 5 minutes practice + 10 minutes qualifying sessions can give you the time to know a track in my opinion, if you haven't driven on it before and for those that had, well is just a quick adaptation i requiem.
Maybe a 300/400 minimum rating could be also a good idea. With that rating SRS have between 7000 and 4000 register drivers, so lots of people.

Cheers.
[/quote]

(07-28-2020, 10:17 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  If I got an hour of notice before the race, that'd be about as much practice as I usually have before each race each week, so this would pretty much change nothing for me. Big Grin

Hi and tks for the feedback.

Well, the "one hour before" would conflict with the core of this series goals, because as you've mentioned, people will be able to practice and prepared themselves in advanced.
This series would be aimed to racers with already a bit of experience and by using a 300/400 rating minimum i really don't think there would be anymore incidents than on the others series.

Cheers.

(07-29-2020, 09:58 AM)Donnchadh MacGarry Wrote:  This a pretty cool idea. I really like the name Inopinatus, sounds classy and sophisticated. The idea reminds me of the competition server for ACC, where sometimes the track is revealed only when the registration period for the race is over and the weather could be set to anything. I'm definitely one person who benefits from having a lot of free time for practice and setups at the moment, so a series like this would definitely knock me down the pecking order a bit I reckon.

Hi and tks for your feedback.

Oh yeh? Well, i don't use ACC that much...so i didn't know. I though i was being quite original lol, since it came from my on personal experience and testing. 
But that just confirms that it mite be needed and interesting.
In your case...you still have two great choices...or you choose to drive on all the other normal series with open setups...or you can join this ones to maybe test yourself in a different way, like your own adaptability, instead of setup making skills or your practice capacities.
Who knows, it mite make you a more complete driver... Wink

Cheers.
I like this idea a lot, particularly as someone who doesn't have a lot of free time either. Someone has to finish last!

I think the key to this is to make sure that it uses fairly well-known tracks (Spa, Silverstone, Imola, etc) and not outrageous cars. I would love to participate in something like this once I get my rating up a bit. I'm still very new and trying to figure stuff out.
Hey, it sounds really great! How about active series? Is there any place for same car/track combo in your series that will be running in each other series?
Signatures? Like in good ol' days Big Grin
(07-30-2020, 02:03 PM)Jason Chamberlain Wrote:  I like this idea a lot, particularly as someone who doesn't have a lot of free time either. Someone has to finish last!

I think the key to this is to make sure that it uses fairly well-known tracks (Spa, Silverstone, Imola, etc) and not outrageous cars. I would love to participate in something like this once I get my rating up a bit. I'm still very new and trying to figure stuff out.

I agree with most of the content being well-known, although i would also like to mix it up with a coupe of "curve balls", if you catch my drift.
Rating tip...just race...a lot...don't get hit...or hit someone...and finish all races as high as you can. I mean on the time tables of course. Big Grin

(07-30-2020, 04:17 PM)Dawid Jadwiszczok Wrote:  Hey, it sounds really great! How about active series? Is there any place for same car/track combo in your series that will be running in each other series?

I'm not sure if i understand your question...
But for starters, having two series with the same combos doesn't sound practical or logical.
Besides...if using the same combos...if the "normal" series shows the cars and the tracks to be used, then you will know the content used on this one too, which kind of goes against the all purpose of this new series.

But maybe i didn't quite get your point...

And by the way....I don't think we can call it "my series" just yet, because for the time being, this is just an idea, an concept and a suggestion.
I just hope that more people likes the idea and if i get enough positive feedback, i will try to get in touch with SRS administration and make the suggestion personally.
I'm thinking on maybe creating a poll...or something like that...but i 'm not sure if it is possible to do it on this forum.
I like this of course Big Grin no time to practice something in particular = more challenge

I'm just curious how can hiding this car/track info be achieved in the UI and CM when joining it?