Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Estonia 25 Setup
Hi all,

Here is my setup that I am currently using for the Estonia 25 at Tor Poznan, which is attached as a file to the bottom of this post so you don't need to read all my waffle if you don't want to. I did a race today with this setup using 19L fuel and medium tyres and I ran in the low 1:32.XX per lap when I had clean air. After watching the replay, I did some practice where I tidied up my braking points and driving line a bit. I can now run at a mid to high 1:31.XX with the same setup and possibly could do better with more improvements to my driving. I then tried the default setup (with 19L fuel, medium tyres) for a few laps as a test and I could only run in the high 1:34.XX to low 1:35.XX. I would thus say that my setup has saved me about 3-3.5 seconds per lap which is pretty significant. For qualifying I use soft tyres and reduce the pressure on all the tyres by 1 psi compared to what I use on the mediums.

I found the default setup understeered a lot, especially at mid to late part of medium and high speed corners, forcing me to lift slightly on the throttle. I wanted to change the gearing ratio, as it was too long and when I went to the fifth (last) gear the engine didn’t produce enough power (or is it torque, or both) and the car actually lost speed. I also thought about increasing top speed since there are long sections of the course that can be taken flat out.

Here are the main changes I made and the reason why for those interested. I did not spend too long creating this setup, but I knew most of these changes would have a big effect. If you have any input on how this could be improved or if I say something that is incorrect then let me know.

Suspension
I lowered the stiffness of the front wheel rate (symmetrically) and anti-roll bar to reduce the understeer at the mid corner. Like wise I also stiffened the rear wheel rate and rear anti-roll bar which also has the same effect.

Aero    
I reduced the wings to FW=2, RW=1 to improve top speed since I am flat out for long sections of the track. Keeping the FW higher than the RW should reduce understeer too. So while there is less downforce produced then by the default wings, the balance should be nicer. I might tweak this in the future.

Alignment (toe)
I reduced front toe out from -15 to -5 (so it’s really toe in since its negative), to help increase top speed as I didn’t feel I need extra turn in on mid part of slower corners due to the changes in suspension and ARB. I might change this in the future.

Differential
I reduced the differential to their minimums, which is 5%. Reducing diff coast should aid with turn in and reduce understeer. Reducing the diff power should improve acceleration out of the corner. I don’t see why diff power should be anything but the minimum, since the torque produced by this car seems low compared to its weight and I have never spun out when I touched the accelerator as I always had enough traction. If you spin out when getting on the power, then I think its more due to your weight management and steering inputs.

Gearing
I lowered the gearing and balanced it out. I kept enough length in final gear to have extra speed when drafting at the fastest parts of the course. I only use first gear at the start, so I kept that at the minimum to give good acceleration at the start.

Fuel
If there is a very fast person in your race (high 1:30.XX to low 1:31.XX), then you need 14 laps of fuel and so 19L is good enough for that with this setup. If you increase the wings from the ones I have given, then you might need more fuel.

Tyre pressure 
Mediums: LF = 15, LR = 16, RF = 17, RR =17
Softs: LF = 14, LR = 15, RF = 16, RR =16
As I said earlier, the softs are one click lower then the mediums on all the tyres. I don’t think softs would last the race, not sure though I didn’t test it.

There were some things that I didn’t change from the default that perhaps I should. I would really appreciate any recommendations on this end if you have any.

Dampers
I made no changes to the dampers, as I really did not know what to change. I’m pretty sure I understand the theory behind them, but it’s definitely one area of making a setup that I struggle with when trying to make effective changes. The car seems to take bumps and kerbs well and doesn’t continually oscillate afterwards so I think the default fast dampers are acceptable.

Alignment (Camber)
Same goes with the camber, no changes. Again, I understand the theory behind the changes but never really know if my changes have improved the car, or if I just happened to be driving better anyway, so I left them as they are.

Brake Bias
I made no changes to the brake bias as it seemed okay to me since I was not locking up constantly at one end. Might change this from race to race to see what works and what doesn’t, which luckily can be done while driving without needing to pit.

Attached Files
.txt   Estonia25_TorPoznan_DonnchadhMacGarry.txt (Size: 1.51 KB / Downloads: 296)
Wow, that helped a lot, my times went down just like yours. Thanks for sharing.

I entered in two races today with your setup, managed to get two second places with it. Just need to work in my consistency and try not to get off the track again, lol.

And I really need to learn how to setup cars, I always end up using the default one, but there are some cars that the time difference is massive when you have a good setup.
(07-17-2020, 01:15 AM)Alan Braz Wrote:  Wow, that helped a lot, my times went down just like yours. Thanks for sharing.

I entered in two races today with your setup, managed to get two second places with it. Just need to work in my consistency and try not to get off the track again, lol.

And I really need to learn how to setup cars, I always end up using the default one, but there are some cars that the time difference is massive when you have a good setup.
That's awesome to hear, well done. I managed to get a win just now myself so I'm pretty satisfied with the setup.

I've only started trying to do setups recently so I'm no expert. One tip I would give is to take one component (like front Anti-roll bar for example) and test the highest and lowest setting to see what effect it has on the car. That way you can get a real feel at what each setting for that component does. Just try things one component at a time to begin with. If it works then great, if not you can also go back to the previous value. I make a new separate save after each adjustment and write it down in a copy, so its easy to reverse changes if I'm not happy with what I did.

I'll add a link to the end of this reply to a playlist video series that I think is brilliant at teaching how to setup a car. The first two videos explain the settings. The next videos then go through a process of setting up the car. It creates a base setting at an oval, then moves to a track you are comfortable with that has a good mix of corners (Spa in his case) and finally goes to the actual race you will be racing where the final tweaks are made. The videos are pretty lengthy but I prefer that compared to a short brief video. He properly explains what each setting does and his thought process of what adjustments need to be made depending on how the car behaved at a corner. You don't need to follow all the steps as its way too time consuming. For my setup, I didn't bother going to an oval and Spa, I just started at Tor Poznan as I knew a few quick adjustments was all I needed to get big improvements.

Playlist: "Sim Racers Performance Guide" by David O'Reilly
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXBEcGqA...IACtnYp-mc
sorry how do I download the file..I only get a link that opens a text file?
(07-17-2020, 03:44 PM)Troy Beachem Wrote:  sorry how do I download the file..I only get a link that opens a text file?
I'm actually not sure how to download directly, or if that's possible.

What you can do is open a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++. Copy the contents from the text file of my setup that you opened and paste it into Notepad. Then save the file in notepad giving it a name, and make sure you save it as an .ini file instead of a .txt file. For example: Estonia25_TorPoznan_SRS_20min.ini .   I put up a .txt file as you are not allowed attach a .ini file here for some reason, not sure why but I'm sure there's one. Then place your saved file in the setups folder.
The general location is:    C:\Users\<user_name_here>\Documents\Assetto Corsa\setups\<car_name_here>\<track_name_here>
In this case its:    C:\Users\<user_name_here>\Documents\Assetto Corsa\setups\zizh_estonia_25\tor_poznanl
You can right-click on the link and select "save link as..." and rename it.
HTH Smile
Thanks guys..i'll try that.
Many thanks for this setup.
Great setup, thanks.

How do you guys avoid getting bogged down at the start? I seem to get overtaken left and right every time the lights go out. Sad
Thanks Donnchadh, nice setup, made quite a bit of difference to my times, I wish I'd found it earlier!