Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formula 1991
Well let me start this one  Smile
Anyone tried those cars yet ? have to say they were changed massively compared to last time we raced them, from agile fast formula f1 cars to slow bricks . Seems like some kind of unlucky balancing act, all the cars behave almost the same which is kinda super weird, how can minardi feel the same as fw14 or brabham. Also the cars are much slower than they used to be and the handling is kinda shit also lol. Brutal understeer on entry, unstable midcorner and ugly oversteer on exit. The only difference seems to be that some are a bit slower ... Maybe it can be changed with some setup modifications but not so sure about that.
(07-11-2020, 07:45 PM)Michal Ringes Wrote:  Well let me start this one  Smile
Anyone tried those cars yet ? have to say they were changed massively compared to last time we raced them, from agile fast formula f1 cars to slow bricks . Seems like some kind of unlucky balancing act, all the cars behave almost the same which is kinda super weird, how can minardi feel the same as fw14 or brabham. Also the cars are much slower than they used to be and the handling is kinda shit also lol. Brutal understeer on entry, unstable midcorner and ugly oversteer on exit. The only difference seems to be that some are a bit slower ... Maybe it can be changed with some setup modifications but not so sure about that.
I haven't really driven them much before and can't remember how they felt so I don't really have an opinion on it. I do remember seeing a video by Ferrariman601 from a month or two ago talking about updates to the mods  that he didn't think were improvements, you might find it interesting. It was a response video to another youtuber Boneyard who also felt the same way. It got a bit fiery between them and the ASR team, make of it what you want. Not sure if there were updates to the mods between those videos and now.

Ferrariman601: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPIg1MecCaw&t=648s
Boneyard Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehR2CZSwykU
Boneyard Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVcHKi2D9zM&t=416s
They were a bit too fast before but really fun to drive, now it feels like some kind of punishment Smile lol
Fastest lap so far of course with almighty minardi as it should be according to all historical records Smile
Yes, the base setups of those cars are pretty much worthless. I just spent 3 hours with those cars and kind of got the Benetton to behave like you'd expect a car to behave in a corner. After that I tried the same with the Williams. I'm still far from being quick (I guess), but at least I get them around the track consistently now. Will be very interesting to see how the pace is spread out in the first race with everyone having to make their setup completely from scratch.

The Minardi appears to be quite good, yes. I let the AI do a qualifying to get an idea how balanced those cars are and the Minardis were the fastest. Williams and Ferrari were fast too, then the Brabhams and Benttons and then the rest.

And to answer Marco's question in the other thread: only people with a rating of at least 600 can join the races. It might happen that we'll start a race with less than 10 people. We will see.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Well, I didn't expect SRS to run these cars much soon, especially not pretty much all at once Smile Last year when we ran them, there was a lot of updates and changes to those cars, starting to feel a bit odd. I came then to the same conclusions as Ferarriman601 and Boneyard about those 1991 cars behaving much like the modern grippy F1 cars. Except the FW16 that Ferrariman talks about in his analysis is a 1994 car but was suffering from same inflated performance. As much as ASR received flaming on internet about their classic F1 mods in the last months, I also sent them my thoughts about it all. The ability to run low wings on pretty much any track at little to no grip cost while gaining massive top speeds and laptime improvement was mind boggling, to me at least. That was 1991. Now the other thing is if the car is fun to drive or not. And also historical accuracy between teams in F1... well if a league went for that, who would then run a Minardi or a Fondmetal or anything else than Williams, McLaren and Ferrari in an online race? And that's the best case scenario, probably one car would be best. Where's the fun in running a historically accurate backmarker car online, when simracing is actually a dream for every real race driver - to run a definite same car as his rival is? On the other side, it's F1, and balancing it out would be some kind of blasphemy. Even running two different cars in an online series has people driving one car complaining about the other car. It's tough to find the balance and make everyone participating online happy. I would just drive or not.
(07-11-2020, 11:17 PM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  Yes, the base setups of those cars are pretty much worthless. I just spent 3 hours with those cars and kind of got the Benetton to behave like you'd expect a car to behave in a corner. After that I tried the same with the Williams. I'm still far from being quick (I guess), but at least I get them around the track consistently now. Will be very interesting to see how the pace is spread out in the first race with everyone having to make their setup completely from scratch.

The Minardi appears to be quite good, yes. I let the AI do a qualifying to get an idea how balanced those cars are and the Minardis were the fastest. Williams and Ferrari were fast too, then the Brabhams and Benttons and then the rest.

And to answer Marco's question in the other thread: only people with a rating of at least 600 can join the races. It might happen that we'll start a race with less than 10 people. We will see.
I’ve not tried yet the car. But about the rating, I think that a 450 of rating would be a good starting point. But, we will see what happen. Ciao
Well as to the cars being very different, some slow, some heavy, some really fast other agile or powerfull that used to be the case grand prix legends, and in every race we always had all the cars and it was fun, guess would be much less fun if everyone just took the lotus Smile
As to these cars okayama is first, what kind of laptimes with what car you guys doin so far ? (q tyre and maybe 20 litres)
Haven't chosen a car, let alone done proper testing yet hahh I'm interested in one of the H shift cars. Will get to it soon.
I'll take the Williams or Ferrari, I'm too afraid of ruining the engine over a whole race distance with my moronic rev matching skills Big Grin

I've spent five hours with those cars so far but still have no idea which tires last how long. The C tires seem to last at least 15 laps.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
yeah the engines will be problematic lol, especially for those of us who have no clutch lol, i can kill benetton and jordan in 3 laps Smile So the choice will most likely be which engine can take the most punishment, and even then 1 hour seems kinda not doable so far Smile
laptimes so far on q tyre: benetton 1:20:5, fondmetal 1:19:8, larouse 1:19:6, jordan 1:17:5, tyrel 1:17:1, williams 1:16:6, brabham 1:16:4, minardi 1:16:1