Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
I'd like to say you thanks. Williams FW31
(07-07-2020, 09:11 PM)Dominic ORourke Wrote:  That is thorough preparation! Thanks for sharing. I had a look at the setup and I don't think I'm doing anything particularly different.

One thing I would question is trying to get the suspension right before setting the wing values. Wings essentially add weight down through the suspension so will change how the suspension reacts when adjusted. In most situations we probably won't notice but going from super low down force to high down force it could matter. I heard that when John Surtees ran a team in the early days of wings he tried to get the suspension set up, then attach the wings to the car and for the reason I just mentioned it never worked.

On another note, I've made a video talking about the technical side of the car which hopefully I can upload tomorrow. Should be interesting for any F1 obsessed drivers!
It was from this video that had suggested to remove the aero at the start of making a setup so you can get an idea of the chassis balance first, so that's why I mentioned it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8g-BgbEAQ&list=PLgcDMRxB3syMC3PqE0EtDAHIACtnYp-mc&index=3

From what I understand, creating the zero wing setup should give you a strong idea as to what effect each setting of the chassis has on the car, which might have been not as noticeable if you had lots of aero downforce. Once you increase the wing later on you can then make appropriate adjustments to the chassis to prevent things like bottoming out at top speed (since downforce has increased), it doesn't mean that you should use the exact same chassis settings. One thing to note is that the zero wing base setup he demonstrates is on an oval track. He does then add wing and make three balanced aero setups (low, medium and high downforce) before proceeding to non-oval tracks.

Of course you might disagree and find it easier to make a setup with some aero from the get go, there's no real correct answer just whatever suits best. The thing with sim racing is that it is easy to make adjustments to the suspension if you know what you're doing, you just click a few buttons and poof... it changes instantly. So its not too much trouble to make quick adjustments to the chassis once the wing is added. In real life it would not be as easy to make a suspension setting for a zero wing setup, then increase the wing and make changes to the suspension afterwards and would take much, much longer. You would realistically not have the time to do so on a track weekend.

I found the video playlist very interesting when I watched it about two years ago. As far as I know, the guy  who made it has worked with top level sim races in the FSR league for Rfactor 2. I never got time to work on setups after I watched it, real life got in the way and I had to take a break from sim racing for a while, so I really need to watch it again. The first two videos just explain what each setting does to the car. The third video (the one I linked) starts making a base setup on an oval track, where you start form the ground up to get a good idea of how the car behaves. So initially there's no wing, no differential, etc. until you make a balanced chassis setting, then you can add the aero and differential. The fourth video moves to the "home track", i.e. a track you are comfortable on with a variety of high, medium and low speed corners, so Spa, Susuka or Barcelona are good choices. Use the base setup you made from the oval and make appropriate adjustments (I think the oval setup tends to oversteer on a regular track, can't remember though I could have it the wrong way around and it actually understeers). The setup you get here is a good base setup to start with from any track. The fifth video then moves to the track you are racing that week, where you make the final adjustments.

It would be very time consuming to go through these steps when making a setup initially, but if its done properly then one would have a very solid setup that could easily be adjusted for each race after the first one. 
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8g-BgbEAQ&list=PLgcDMRxB3syMC3PqE0EtDAHIACtnYp-mc&index=3][/url]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'd like to say you thanks. Williams FW31 - by Donnchadh MacGarry - 07-07-2020, 10:34 PM