Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems
After 10 minutes of fiddeling about trying to start AMS2 in VR (P3 on Kansai) in different ways using
  1. the Join VR button in the app (nothing happens, the first 5 minutes or so, but after a while a pop up suggests it tries to start AMS2 using -forcevr, but it just starts on the monitor),
  2. my normal way of starting AMS2 in VR with a shorcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" steam://launch/1066890/othervr -silent -sportsplay 85.10.198.91:27015 (I am using Oculus Rift S, so this is the way) (starts AMS2, but not in VR, and it always starts VR when I am not registered to a race, so it's not the shortcut that's wrong),
  3. adding the -forcevr to the shortcut (same as without forcevr, it starts but only on the screen) or
  4. starting with and without forcevr in Steam (as above),
suddenly it decides to work. I have no idea what triggered it. It was the above shortcut that worked. Maybe I just have to be patient and wait for 10 minutes...? Anyway, now there is almost no time left of qualification.

And, to my big surprise, it's raining. I have not seen any info on that (am I missing something?), so all my preparations was for clear weather. Never mind. Rain is fine. I just would have liked to know up front. But that's like in real life I guess. Tongue 

Then the race starts and I end up 9th, second to last, no surprise there, as one of the slowest driver in the slowest, but coolest car (the Rocco) Rolleyes . I wait until the screen with "Vote to start" comes up, and then I log of. Now I find that my race is not registered in the standings.

This was my third AMS2 race. I have had the same starting problems every time. And now I am also not registered. Can anybody tell me if I am doing something wrong? Or is it just the combination of Rift S, SRS and AMS2 that just isn't compatible?

Will I get banned for not racing now, even though I have spent an hour on it, and finished the race...?
Lars Erik Christensen - 4 Poter Racing Team - Norway // SimXPro X80 cockpit, Thrustmaster TS-XW base with Sparco R383/Ferrari F599XX/OpenWheel rims, Heusinkveld Sprint 2-pedal set, i5-10600k/2080 Super, Oculus Rift S, Buttkicker Gamer 2
the championship has real weather prediction, it gave light rain but I didn't check if the broadcast was correct just before the race.

The "-forcevr" command in your launch parameters (right click the game name under steam) doesn't start the game in VR?

Not sure if you left before the server took you back to the fist menu but if you did, the name doesn't show on the results.
Yes I tried -forcevr, but it did not work. It just started on screen. I both used the shortcut
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" steam://launch/1066890/othervr -silent -forcevr -sportsplay 85.10.198.91:27015
and tried to start it from Steam with -forcevr -sportsplay 85.10.198.91:27015

It only started on the monitor, not in VR.

When I try now, when I am not registered to a race, it works fine. Starts in VR. With or without -forcevr.

I didn't leave until I got to the page where it said "Vote to join". Should I have waited even longer?

...and now I see that I have turned up on the list. :-)
Lars Erik Christensen - 4 Poter Racing Team - Norway // SimXPro X80 cockpit, Thrustmaster TS-XW base with Sparco R383/Ferrari F599XX/OpenWheel rims, Heusinkveld Sprint 2-pedal set, i5-10600k/2080 Super, Oculus Rift S, Buttkicker Gamer 2
It was possible to recover the result.

I'll see the button.
Next time, try to refresh the race page and press "join vr" after the refresh.
OK, thanks! I'll try that.
Sometimes I have trouble hitting the "Join" and "Join VR" buttons (I've raced on both VR and triples) and resorted to inputting the launch command. I'll remember to try refreshing the page to see if that helps me too. Michael Martin also told me that you can use your keyboard too, just hit tab on your keyboard until you get onto the Join or Join VR button and hit enter to launch, so try that if refreshing the page didn't help. One thing I have to remember and keep forgetting is that when in VR the popup after hitting Join VR appears in my VR headset only, I keep expecting it to show on my monitor and wonder what is going wrong until I realise what is happening.
I have a Lenovo Explorer WMR headset, and basically get Steam to see it as a SteamVR headset so I haven't had the issues you mentioned. And I've never made a separate shortcut for launching the game, I always open steam to do it. Perhaps the order in which you put extra parameters makes a difference? So maybe have -forceVR before the -sportsplay one? Or maybe you need to do something in that shortcut to specify that you want to launch the oculus version of the game with those parameters (or the SteamVR version if you'd rather that)?

We are using real weather for the P3 championship as the admin said, set to 13:00 of the current date of the race. One thing to note is that for SRS we are using a plugin for getting real weather data which is different to the one that is built into the game for real weather. So there could be discrepancy between what the two predict if they are getting data from different sources, which could possibly have local variances. When I made an online practice session the hour before hand, I used the in-game real weather for that day and the clock set to 13:00 both for the practice and the 1 lap race (I have to set a race so I just chose a 1 lap one, but leave before then since the SRS even t has begun). Interestingly enough I could see in the forecast that the game had decided to have cloudy weather, then some light rain followed by cloud for the practice session, but only cloudy weather for the race sessions (no rain), even though both sessions had been given the same in-game start time. So not only was it different to the SRS real weather which just had light rain, but the in-game real weather setting had a discrepancy with itself for the practice and race from the same session with the same date and time. 
The real weather data that AMS2 has in-game often lines up with real life weather in my experience, but sometimes it can be a bit off especially when the real life weather is very changeable. From what I understand it doesn't update its checks for changes too frequently (so not every 5 minutes say, so if it was dry at 13:00 and then wet at 13:08, AMS2's real weather might have it dry for the next half hour or hour if the session started at 13:00). I am not 100% sure on this so take what I said with a good pinch of salt. I did look up the real world forecast afterwards again and it did show that it had light rain at the time, although it was scattered I think. So in the future I would be on your toes to expect either dry or some rain when the real world weather forecasts on the internet are expecting something like light/scattered showers.

Waiting until we are back in the lobby is correct (or when it says that you have been disconnected from the server). Sometimes though there is an issue where a person's data isn't transferred to the standings even though it was recorded. You can tell this has occurred as when you see the standing's, there will be a position missing (e.g. it may go 7th then 9th, and 8th is missing). If this is the case its fairly easy to recover, as in your case. If it happens to you in one of my championships again, don't be afraid to send me a message either here or on discord and I'll contact the admin to fix it (or just send a post in the race series discussion thread I made for the P3 championship).
The bigger issue is if you leave the server before you have been returned to the lobby (or before it says you have been disconnected from the server). In that case your results aren't recorded at all and so there won't seem to be a position missing from the standings.

Hope to see you race next week. You are champion for going with the Rocco even though it struggles compared with the MetalMoro with the turbo, especially at high altitude tracks. I thought the P3 cars were a bit more balanced, but it seems that only occurs in long distance endurance races where the MetalMoro turbo is less fuel efficient and needs more stops. Or maybe they are closer together at tight twisty tracks with short straights, like a some of the Brazilian ones. I might consider going with just a single vehicle for classes that offer more than one car next time, unless I know for sure there is a decent balance.
Donny MacGarry Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@DonnyMacGarry
The join button has been fixed.
the steam popup appears once you click on it.
Thanks for your replies guys! I'll try again next week and expect whatever weather :-) And I will be sticking with the Rocco. It is a joy to drive!
Today I am not able to get in at all... So I won't be able to participate. Hope I dopn't get suspended for not showing up...

I think the -forcevr option does not work for Steam Oculus mode. Only for SteamVR.

So the JoinVR button will not work for Oculus mode.

I have tried starting with the -sportsplay 85.10.198.91:27015, and I get up and running in VR, but there are no Simracingsystems server in multiplayer mode.

Tried starting it in SteamVR and now I am in, but I am only able to spectate...

I am giving up on this. After several hours of preparation I am not able to join. What a waste. This is not working for Oculus Rift S. This was my last attempt of AMS2 until someone tells me that it is tried and tested successfully on Oculus Rift S and gives me a detailed description of how to get it to work. Sorry.
(02-28-2022, 06:15 PM)Lars Erik Christensen Wrote:  Today I am not able to get in at all... So I won't be able to participate. Hope I dopn't get suspended for not showing up...

I think the -forcevr option does not work for Steam Oculus mode. Only for SteamVR.

So the JoinVR button will not work for Oculus mode.

I have tried starting with the -sportsplay 85.10.198.91:27015, and I get up and running in VR, but there are no Simracingsystems server in multiplayer mode.

Tried starting it in SteamVR and now I am in, but I am only able to spectate...

I am giving up on this. After several hours of preparation I am not able to join. What a waste. This is not working for Oculus Rift S. This was my last attempt of AMS2 until someone tells me that it is tried and tested successfully on Oculus Rift S and gives me a detailed description of how to get it to work. Sorry.
That sucks, sorry I can't be of more help about the Oculus stuff but I don't have that type of headset. I saw you had joined the server, but that was after the race session started. In online racing in AMS2, once there is about a minute and a half left in qualifying, then no one else can join and race (unlike in AC). They can only join and spectate, its a carry over from PC2 as it was the same in that game. Its a bit annoying and means if someone's game crashes midrace, they can't rejoin and continue again. It caught me out in a previous SRS race, where I was having control issues. By the time I got it sorted, qualifying had just finished and I couldn't do the race.
Donny MacGarry Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@DonnyMacGarry