Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General discussion on setups from a beginner
Today I was playing with setups, trying some "very effective pro setup" I found on a Youtube video, promising impressive lap times at Spa (2:16, my best laps are around 2:25 - yeah, quite slow).
As a total ignorant, and a bit lazy too, I expected to take my timing down a little (definitely not to 2:16, of course), but with my partial surprise the "pro setup" is a nightmare to drive. That's something I already noticed in the past, with a couple of setups kindly shared by the experienced drivers in this community, but I somehow fell again for it.
Ok, I try to explain a little more: it's not really been a "nightmare" to drive, but all that oversteer in the hand of the youtuber looked quite easy to manage and, in the end, in my hands that setup gave me less than a second advantage on my best times, losing a lot of safety / consistency because of how difficult was to keep the car steady, especially in fast turns (which are key in that track).
Anyway, I'm losing the subject of the thread like my Mercedes at Eau Rouge (and I'm writing it myself!), so I conclude with a beginner suggestion from beginners: don't trust too much a pre-built setup of a very experienced driver, because you're probably going to have a worse performance than the one you get from your safe, "stability first", setup.
I'm trying to work on that for now, and I humbly suggest you do the same, even if the effect of some of the options and how to apply them to a specific track is not completely clear to me, yet (bumps, rebounds, ... I'm looking at you, mostly).

Any consideration from the drivers who have raced for years?

Messages In This Thread
General discussion on setups from a beginner - by Andrea Piovanelli - 01-09-2021, 06:02 PM