Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus)
(10-08-2020, 06:56 AM)Matteo Venuti Wrote:  That's great! But i think that uploading this file on something like Google Drive it's better, so everyone can see the changes made by other people (if it's possible, of course)
I had only really intended the workbook as a thing for personal use. So I intended to use it to compare my setups in my practice stints, compare where I was slow to others in a race and finally to track my progress if I did five of the daily races in a week, that's why I have up to five stint slots. Then I'd make a new copy of the file when going to a new car and track combo.

I hadn't thought of having a version that is more collaborative with the data collection, but now that I think about it that seems like a really good idea. A file that multiple people could upload lap data to that then compares the lap times, so there's a communal access to people's practice sessions (for those who want to share) before the weekly race. I know with Sharepoint, multiple people can access and edit an Excel file as I have done that in a group project at university, but I understand not everyone has Excel. As you suggested Google Drive/Sheets is an option and that is free. It is possible to open the current file in Google Sheets but from what I remember when I tried doing so with an earlier version of the workbook, that some of the information like the cell formatting/graphs/formulas didn't carry over properly (colouring the best time in a row was in issue I recall). I'd probably have to make a Google Sheet specific version.

The major issue I see with a communal file for this workbook is that five stint slots is too little (so six people can't contribute lap time data for example). Since the maximum stint slot is a hard cap, I'd have to manually modify the workbook to allow for more stint slots which takes quite a deal of time. With the way it's written there is no automatic way of doing so. Just thinking about it now if I were to make a communal version, I'd probably make some big changes to the workbook structure so that it could allow for any number of stint slots to be added (there actually would still be a hardcap, but I could set it to a number that wouldn't be reached, 200 for example, where I could still easily increase that number with much less updates required). I do have an idea of what changes I'd need to make so I might do that in the future (the sheets would probably be broken up much differently), but if I decide to do so it would be a while before I'd get it done. Maybe it might end up that I prefer the structure of that type of workbook to what it currently is.

Messages In This Thread
F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Simon Meisinger - 10-04-2020, 11:16 PM
RE: F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Donnchadh MacGarry - 10-12-2020, 02:29 PM
RE: F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Michal Janak - 10-14-2020, 07:49 PM
RE: F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Simon Speth - 10-15-2020, 08:15 AM
RE: F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Michal Janak - 10-28-2020, 09:05 PM
RE: F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Michal Janak - 10-29-2020, 08:33 AM
RE: F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Michal Janak - 11-11-2020, 09:36 PM
RE: F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Rob Russo - 06-17-2021, 08:08 PM
RE: F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Rob Russo - 06-18-2021, 12:03 AM
RE: F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus) - by Rob Russo - 06-20-2021, 07:12 PM