Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus)
Yes, and tire pressure goes absolutely crazy, 3psi difference between certain parts of the track.

I only did a couple of practice laps yesterday and have no time to practice until the race, I'll just choose the same tires as the majority of you guys then Big Grin
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Hi guys. Just out of curiosity, are some of you, top pilots and others, driving with an H shifter and clutch pedal?
Certainly better for immersion, but as I am already quite slow with pads, I never dared to race with my H shifter...
That said, I love vintage F1 series. So much fun...
I don't know about the people here, but I was in a league with one of the fastest guys I know (Michal Ringes fast) and he drove with an H shifter and clutch. So it definitely is possible to be fast that way.

I personally don't like sim racing H shifters so I don't use them and I snapped my brake pedal's cable a few months ago and didn't get around to repair it, so I use my clutch to brake -> no clutch either at the moment Smile
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
There is not much difference in speed i think, if you can drive real car and use clutch and shiftstick then you should have no problem in sim Smile The only problem in sim is no mechanical feedback and lack of precission compared to normal car unless you get some really expensive equipment, the feeling of moving piece of plastic without any force or feeling anything when shifting is just horrible. As to clutch my pedals are only 2 Smile so no clutch, its prety big disadvantage on starts, some cars are not so bad but with some you will be loosing a lot on race starts (either too low revs or too much wheel spin). As to immersion the only thing that really makes big difference in my eyes is VR, and it will make you faster because all the time you can see your oponents, you can race them very close, you have much better judgement of distances, you can brake by distance feel not some marker and overall you just are in the car Smile
(10-27-2020, 09:14 AM)Stephane Homke Wrote:  Hi guys. Just out of curiosity, are some of you, top pilots and others, driving with an H shifter and clutch pedal?
Certainly better for immersion, but as I am already quite slow with pads, I never dared to race with my H shifter...
I'm using the Thrustmaster TH8A in H-pattern and the clutch pedal from the 3-pedal set that came with the T300RS wheel I'm using. I would recommend the SHH shifter instead, to anyone thinking of buying a sim gear stick in this price range. The SHH shifter can switch between the H-pattern and sequential modes much quicker (no screws required depending on the face plate you use) and there's also a bit more feeling/resistance when making gear changes, although it still doesn't feel like a real gear stick. I need to rearrange my rig again to get that shifter setup, but I'm lazy so that's why I'm using the TH8A right now.

The clutch is definitely an advantage for race starts, I remember in the Estonia 25 series (which also used a H-pattern) I got a huge advantage off the line as that car required good clutch management or else the car bogged down heavily. I don't really care if its quicker or not to use a H-pattern and clutch over the course of a race. I got into sim racing to pretend I'm driving these type of cars, so using the H-pattern for the appropriate cars adds to my enjoyment. I still use the flappy paddle for the modern cars that use flappy paddles in real life. Luckily AC has a setting that enforces this automatically, so I don't need to look up which one is meant to be used.

One thing that I find funny in AC is when gearing up with the H-pattern and clutch, as I don't need to take my foot off the accelerator when I engage the clutch. The engine revs increase dramatically and max out as expected but the engine receives no damage, no matter how long I hold this (unless I set the engine limiter to be greater than 100%, but I don't do this at the moment). I'm not sure why this happens, I would have thought for sure this would damage the engine no matter the engine limiter setting but maybe there is something that I don't properly understand on how that stuff works. I definitely wouldn't do that with my car in real life, that's for certain. For gearing down I engage the clutch and do my best to use the heel and toe technique for braking and blipping the throttle, its a lot of fun when it goes well.
(10-27-2020, 09:14 AM)Stephane Homke Wrote:  Hi guys. Just out of curiosity, are some of you, top pilots and others, driving with an H shifter and clutch pedal?
Hi,  if the ‘car’ was built that way, H+clutch.  More fun and intense, when an errant 5 to 2 shift can end your race! gl hf  Big Grin
(10-27-2020, 06:36 PM)Donnchadh MacGarry Wrote:  One thing that I find funny in AC is when gearing up with the H-pattern and clutch, as I don't need to take my foot off the accelerator when I engage the clutch. The engine revs increase dramatically and max out as expected but the engine receives no damage, no matter how long I hold this (unless I set the engine limiter to be greater than 100%, but I don't do this at the moment). I'm not sure why this happens, I would have thought for sure this would damage the engine no matter the engine limiter setting but maybe there is something that I don't properly understand on how that stuff works. I definitely wouldn't do that with my car in real life, that's for certain.

That's called "power shifting" and doesn't hurt much, I do it every now and then with my real car. It's probably not good for your transmission if you do it every day though.

And you engine doesn't get damaged because the rev limiter is set that it cuts out before the engine can get damaged. So both of those things can be considered "real".
(10-28-2020, 07:34 AM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  
(10-27-2020, 06:36 PM)Donnchadh MacGarry Wrote:  One thing that I find funny in AC is when gearing up with the H-pattern and clutch, as I don't need to take my foot off the accelerator when I engage the clutch. The engine revs increase dramatically and max out as expected but the engine receives no damage, no matter how long I hold this (unless I set the engine limiter to be greater than 100%, but I don't do this at the moment). I'm not sure why this happens, I would have thought for sure this would damage the engine no matter the engine limiter setting but maybe there is something that I don't properly understand on how that stuff works. I definitely wouldn't do that with my car in real life, that's for certain.

That's called "power shifting" and doesn't hurt much, I do it every now and then with my real car. It's probably not good for your transmission if you do it every day though.

And you engine doesn't get damaged because the rev limiter is set that it cuts out before the engine can get damaged. So both of those things can be considered "real".
Interesting, still never doing it real life though.
Ehm sorry for the start crash guys, had Michal in dead angle so i could not see him in the mirror and turned into him ...
so, so upset, prepared a lot for race

and very upset from Q, 2 times car went from pits fighted me for position instead make clean room for drivers in timed laps and my best laps with green delta to PB destroyed