Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F1 1970s (Ferari vs. Lotus)
(10-09-2020, 12:57 PM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  I can access the server again, thanks
Excellent
(10-08-2020, 06:56 AM)Matteo Venuti Wrote:  That's great! But i think that uploading this file on something like Google Drive it's better, so everyone can see the changes made by other people (if it's possible, of course)
I had only really intended the workbook as a thing for personal use. So I intended to use it to compare my setups in my practice stints, compare where I was slow to others in a race and finally to track my progress if I did five of the daily races in a week, that's why I have up to five stint slots. Then I'd make a new copy of the file when going to a new car and track combo.

I hadn't thought of having a version that is more collaborative with the data collection, but now that I think about it that seems like a really good idea. A file that multiple people could upload lap data to that then compares the lap times, so there's a communal access to people's practice sessions (for those who want to share) before the weekly race. I know with Sharepoint, multiple people can access and edit an Excel file as I have done that in a group project at university, but I understand not everyone has Excel. As you suggested Google Drive/Sheets is an option and that is free. It is possible to open the current file in Google Sheets but from what I remember when I tried doing so with an earlier version of the workbook, that some of the information like the cell formatting/graphs/formulas didn't carry over properly (colouring the best time in a row was in issue I recall). I'd probably have to make a Google Sheet specific version.

The major issue I see with a communal file for this workbook is that five stint slots is too little (so six people can't contribute lap time data for example). Since the maximum stint slot is a hard cap, I'd have to manually modify the workbook to allow for more stint slots which takes quite a deal of time. With the way it's written there is no automatic way of doing so. Just thinking about it now if I were to make a communal version, I'd probably make some big changes to the workbook structure so that it could allow for any number of stint slots to be added (there actually would still be a hardcap, but I could set it to a number that wouldn't be reached, 200 for example, where I could still easily increase that number with much less updates required). I do have an idea of what changes I'd need to make so I might do that in the future (the sheets would probably be broken up much differently), but if I decide to do so it would be a while before I'd get it done. Maybe it might end up that I prefer the structure of that type of workbook to what it currently is.
(10-08-2020, 09:10 AM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  Wow, that's remarkable work.

You should put the tabs with the results first though so people can see immediately what's the result of putting in data. It took me a while to find out what I was actually supposed to look at.
I see what you mean, definitely confusing for someone seeing this for the first time without the full tutorial document. However there is a reason I have ordered the sheets the way I did, as that's the order you use them when collecting laptimes, uploading them and finally analysing them. It was late when I wrote up the post and the intermediate tutorial document, so I forgot to add a quick explanation on the sheets. Here is a quick one in order of sheet placement, which will hopefully show why they are arranged in that order.
  1. "Retrieve_Lap_Times":    This sheet is used to grab the lap time data from places like the standings page on SRS (using copy and paste), or the csv file generated by Assetto Corsa when you hit the PRINT lap times button in game. I didn't give an explanation on the latter but the workbook can do so and the final tutorial document will have an explanation.
  2. "Stint_Collection":    I then copy and paste the times from the "Retrieve_Lap" into the desired stint slot here. You can also manually write them into the desired stint slot of this sheet. The times in this sheet are accessed by the comparison sheets (“Key_Information_Comparison”, “Full_Lap_Comparison”, “Sector_1_Comparison”, “Sector_2_Comparison” and “Sector_3_Comparison”). This sheet was created so users could copy and paste their times into the workbook and prevent the possibility of them breaking the formulas in the comparison sheets, since they are pasting the times directly into those sheets.
  3. "Setup_on_Stints":   This sheet is used to write in information of the car setup, type of stint (race, practice) and any other useful information. I just realised I should add in track and weather conditions too. It is completely optional but it is a good way of tracking what was used in each stint as one might forget a few days later.
  4. "Key_Information_Comparison":     This sheet takes the most important information from the other comparison sheets (“Full_Lap_Comparison”, “Sector_1_Comparison”, “Sector_2_Comparison” and “Sector_3_Comparison”) and presents it in a more easy to digest manner. Perhaps technically this sheet should be placed after the other four comparison sheets, but I think it makes more sense to put it here. Show the most important information first, then show the more detailed analysis afterwards for those interested.
  5. "Full_Lap_Comparison":    This sheet has a complete breakdown of the times of the whole laps (not the sector times, they are in their own corresponding sheets). It shows all the summary information of the stint like the fastest times, trimmean times, etc. It calculates the deltas between the summary times of a stint and an individual lap times and shows whether it was good or bad with its colour coded shading (e.g. delta between lap 10 and the average). It can also do all the above for multiple stints (e.g. delta between lap 11 of stint 3 and the fastest lap time out of all the stints). Scatter plots of the lap times for each stint and bar charts of the stint's summary data are also in this sheet, as a visual way to see all the data in a more easy to read manner.
  6. "Sector_1_Comaprison":    Same as "Full_Lap_Comparison" except for sector 1 times instead of the whole lap.
  7. "Sector_2_Comaprison":    Same as "Full_Lap_Comparison" except for sector 2 times instead of the whole lap.
  8. "Sector_3_Comaprison":    Same as "Full_Lap_Comparison" except for sector 3 times instead of the whole lap.
  9. "Strategy":    Currently empty but I plan to add some functionality that could compare strategies using the summary data for the comaprison sheet. I would also like to add other features like fuel calculator, expected time loss from pitstop (including time lost in inlap/outlap), etc. So as an example using the trimmean lap time and expected time loss to pit, this sheet could compare a 1 stop strategy that uses soft tyres in both stints with a 0 stop strategy on medium tyres. Since the Wednesday F1 races are back to 20 minutes there isn't really a need to compare strategies like this anymore, there is only one. I might decide that I would rather have this sheet as its own workbook instead, I haven't really decided yet.
  10. "Trimmean_Laps_Requireds":      A table that shows what percentage parameter should be used in the trimmean formula. I'm not going to explain it here, I think I gave one in the intermediate tutorial document and will definitely put one in the final tutorial document. I wasn't sure where to place this sheet in the workbook, so I just put it at the end so its out of the way but easy to access if needed.
So I hope you can see why I ordered sheets 1-8 that way (I'm referring them by number in the list above for convenience). I think the order that makes most sense, depends on how you use the workbook. When I am uploading times for a new car and track combo, I use sheets 1-8 (and 10 if needed) in the order they are given. If I were to access the workbook where someone else uploaded the times and I just want to see the results, so the F1 70s race at Silverstone in this example, I would go straight to sheets 3-8 in that order (skipping 1-2). Since the latter example was your case, where you also had no explanation about any of the sheets in the workbook, I can see why ordering those sheets first made more sense.

You can always drag the sheets around to change the order if you want (so put the sheets 1-2, after sheet 8), it won't break the formulas in the sheets. Maybe the next time I upload a new version of the workbook I'll do it in the order you suggest. You can also rename the sheets too if you want, just don't delete and then repaste the sheets as then the formulas inside break.

(10-08-2020, 09:36 AM)Michal Ringes Wrote:  i am not able to open this file in open office lol just keeps loading and nohing  Smile
I just tried opening it there in Open Office myself and am also having that issue. A quick Google search check seems to say there's some macros in the workbook that could be causing it. I didn't think I used any (I've never used them before) so unless I used one without my knowledge, it might be something else causing the issue. I'm not sure but maybe it could be because of certain values I used in formulas. For example when looking for the fastest time of a stint which has its lap times placed in a column, I said to check all the times from row 21 to row 1048576, where row 21 is slot for the fist lap of a stint is and row 1048576 is final possible row in Excel. The number 1048576 might be causing an issue in Open Office if that exceeds the maximum and it doesn't know what to do or how to load this. It also could be due to certain cell formatting options or graphs/bar charts I used causing the issue when loading.

I'm guessing you don't have Excel, so perhaps try LibreOffice as another free alternative. The file opens on that (after giving a warning about the maximum row/column numbers). Most of the information has translated over but there are a few issues. Some of the cell formatting has gone wonky, so there are coloured cells when they should be blank and non-coloured cells when they should be coloured. Some of the barcharts are more squished, and you can't edit what information they show (e.g. show only stint 1 and 3). The scatterplot graphs of the lap by lap times aren't updating at all when I change the data (e.g. I deleted the times for stint 2 but they were still shown in the scatterplot). You can also upload it to Google drive and open it with Google sheets, but like with LibreOffice there are a few things that have gone funny but not as many I think.

I'll try and keep this in mind with future versions of the workbook, so I can eliminate as many of the issues with the alternatives to Excel like Google Sheets and LibreOffice. There probably will always be some issues though, but hopefully they'll only be minor ones.
I won't be able to make the race tonight unfortunately, I've a football training match that got switched from Tuesday to Wednesday. Enjoy it without me, hope it goes well.
(10-14-2020, 09:52 AM)Donnchadh MacGarry Wrote:  I won't be able to make the race tonight unfortunately, I've a football training match that got switched from Tuesday to Wednesday. Enjoy it without me, hope it goes well.

That's 'round' football right? Your team needs to reprioritize! Angel Angel  Cya in Belgium. 
I lost my connection, i can't believe it. I hope that no one was "killed" by my car.
damn what a shame, i was wondering why did you disapeared
That sucks. Marco had his race ruined by a backmarker ...

Otherwise that was a great race. I didn't give 100% during L1 because I wanted to give you guys room on that demanding track, but you simply used it to hand me down the ranks Big Grin Still an okay result in 5th, even though I had the chance for a podium for like half the race.

The pace and quality of racing for the top 10 in general was great again. Had a lot of fun.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Anyway great race, all well behaved very good and respectfull driving mostly on a very difficult track. Smile
no mistake today, can be 2nd but overtaken only when i try awoid spining and unpredictably moving backmaker

btw , very hard track for this car, u must move car a lot higher not hittyng ground as it caused big bottoming and high understeer and spins