Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Four seconds off the pace - technical analysis
That's normal you don't see everything, otherwise you would fix it. Turn 1 isn't too bad, slight hesitation on the throttle, that's maybe 0.1/0.2 here. Turn 3 you are clearly not catching the apex and worse you are trying to catch a very late one, which is too late and that makes you loose even more time (if you don't get the apex first hand don't try to catch it too late "just to catch it", turn quickly your focus on the exit instead),  but that's a a couple tenths there easily, cause you carry that deficit all the way in the straight. Turn 7 and 8, you are far from them, and you track out yourself, so not enough speed (the car should go to the exit curb naturally because of the speed, not you turning so it goes there).

We could go on and on but the bottom line is that the guys who are a couple of seconds faster, they really put some perfect or nearly perfect laps. As an example, i was looking at it yesterday for some reasons, a lap of the mx5 by some pro in iRacing on Laguna Seca, just to show you the level of perfectionism you need to put in a lap to make those kind of best times you see around and clearly on SRS you have some amazing drivers who can repeat that kind of laser sharp driving lap after lap or at least for one flying lap, it's really one minute and a half almost in apnea sometimes.

(guess what i has been improved almost a second since then)

You shouldn't worry too much, you ll get there eventually and in a year or two you ll look at your early driving differently. I ve watched back for example my quali lap i did a year ago on Silverstone with the same car, same setup, im now exactly 1s faster, and i didn't change much my driving, it was just more agresssive/smooth and more refined lines, you would have hard time spoting the difference in video but while driving you feel it. 

Lastly to be honest simracing at some point is not pretty at all, yes there are the naturally fast guys who get on the track and figure it out quickly, some have track or racing experience which helps of course, and then there are those who are also very good and put insane amount of practice, trying every combinations to shave off a tenth there and there with setups or even exploit the physic engine, have telemetry, use some ridiculous FOV, no FFB, no brake inertia, etc... at some point it isn't driving anymore, it's guitar hero. Besides it's a lot more fun to be in the middle in the pack.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Four seconds off the pace - technical analysis - by James Blint - 03-04-2019, 03:11 PM