Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Four seconds off the pace - technical analysis
Same old story, as told by myself and others, so not much in a way of introduction. If you have two spare minutes, kindly look at this video of myself doing my PB at Zandvoort (1:59.2, which is nearly four seconds off the top of the server 1 crew I usually compete with). I have watched replays of all the top guys, and I fail to see major differences. Same line, same gears... Yes, I could tail brake more. I generally do, less so in this particular lap, and still it was my PB. We are not talking about a few tenths. We are talking about four seconds, guys.   
https://youtu.be/nnZh1GLlWsI
PS: I am not whining. I am delighted to be where I am, in the lower half of Server 1. My rating keeps growing and I am having loads of fun. I just wish I could understand. Thanks.
Hello! I think that’s just the magic (and frustrating) of racing. I admire people in 1:55 and 1:56, and trying hard to get close of them.
Greetings and good luck!
Shaun Clarke Racing team.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXFr32FURbIpcY7IAMUaO7A
(02-28-2019, 06:44 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  Same old story, as told by myself and others, so not much in a way of introduction. If you have two spare minutes, kindly look at this video of myself doing my PB at Zandvoort (1:59.2, which is nearly four seconds off the top of the server 1 crew I usually compete with). I have watched replays of all the top guys, and I fail to see major differences. Same line, same gears... Yes, I could tail brake more. I generally do, less so in this particular lap, and still it was my PB. We are not talking about a few tenths. We are talking about four seconds, guys.   
https://youtu.be/nnZh1GLlWsI
PS: I am not whining. I am delighted to be where I am, in the lower half of Server 1. My rating keeps growing and I am having loads of fun. I just wish I could understand. Thanks.

Pete, you need a discord link so we can talk.  try this link   its an SRS discord voice/chat server    https://discord.gg/rjXQJBQ
Pete, how many hours have you got on AC? How long have you been playing racing games with a wheel?
this car need to be smooth on wheel, brake right, better little sooner and then accelerate as soon as possible , as i saw for example on turn 6 i dodnt use brake, only litle lift gas pedal ,if taken right almoust on full gas is possible , so only here you can lose 0,5 to 1s
I agree with Michal. In general, it seems to me it still lacks aggressivity. I think you're a bit late on the gas in all corners except turn 3. And your acceleration is often hesitant because you're keen on staying well on track, but if you have to hit that curb, you have to. That goes for the inside curbs too. Zandvoort is not the kindest for those, but try cutting more in turn 6, first one in turn 9, and turn 10.
(and that shifting up to 5th gear right before turn 9 is superfluous)
(03-02-2019, 12:57 PM)Gavin Ranson Wrote:  Pete, how many hours have you got on AC? How long have you been playing racing games with a wheel?

Hi Gavin. I started 8 months ago, with a wheel right away. Between Iracing where I started and AC where I happily continue I must have around 600 hours on track, perhaps a little more.

(03-02-2019, 04:35 PM)Michal Janak Wrote:  this car need to be smooth on wheel, brake right, better little sooner and then accelerate as soon as possible , as i saw  for example on turn 6 i dodnt use brake, only litle lift gas pedal ,if taken right almoust on full gas is possible , so only here you can lose 0,5 to 1s

Thank you Michal. I understand what you say, but still I cannot see how relatively small details could make such a huge difference. My own experience is this: being relatively a beginner there are inevitably many small variations in the way I go around any turn: brake a little late/early, stay close to the apex or off a little, accelerate super-early or a little later. This happens at every turn, over hundreds of laps. Apart from obvious mistakes, these small variations NEVER result in differences of more that one tenth, maximum two. More often, the delta bar only shows 20, 30, 50 milliseconds. Proof is that, regardless of the car and the track, I am generally within half a second of my PB, lap after lap, race after race.

(03-03-2019, 11:24 AM)Pierre Caillet Wrote:  I agree with Michal. In general, it seems to me it still lacks aggressivity. I think you're a bit late on the gas in all corners except turn 3. And your acceleration is often hesitant because you're keen on staying well on track, but if you have to hit that curb, you have to. That goes for the inside curbs too. Zandvoort is not the kindest for those, but try cutting more in turn 6, first one in turn 9, and turn 10.
(and that shifting up to 5th gear right before turn 9 is superfluous)
Bonjour Pierre. Merci bien pour vos commentaires. Voyez svp ma reponse à Michal.
Well, if you gain only hundredths of second, it must be these variations are not enough. And it would be surprising if they were, since you're applying the same method and therefore should get the same results. For example, I don't know if you're in the habit of doing this, but in turn 1, when you press the accelerator twice before really going for it ? That's several tenths right there, garanteed.
Rather than a variation on the same theme, what you need is a new score. Try to reassess every corner completely with the objective to accelerate as early as possible, without hesitation and without gap between the end of your braking and the beginning of your acceleration.
(03-03-2019, 01:54 PM)Pierre Caillet Wrote:  Well, if you gain only hundredths of second, it must be these variations are not enough. And it would be surprising if they were, since you're applying the same method and therefore should get the same results. For example, I don't know if you're in the habit of doing this, but in turn 1, when you press the accelerator twice before really going for it ? That's several tenths right there, garanteed.
Rather than a variation on the same theme, what you need is a new score. Try to reassess every corner completely with the objective to accelerate as early as possible, without hesitation and without gap between the end of your braking and the beginning of your acceleration.

Sorry Pierre, I respectfully disagree. "Several" tenths seems to me an enormity for a brief, partial lift of the throttle. In the hundreds of laps I've done at Zandvoort, there will be many, many times when I totally floored the gas coming out of turn 1, for example, and I never ever saw a gain like that. What I am saying is that I am sure that my technique is far from perfect - otherwise I wouldn't be asking here... - what I still do not understand is the magnitude of the consequences of my errors. Moreover, say that I lose systematically 0.2 per turn - which is really a lot, every turn, every lap... That would put me 2 seconds behind (interestingly, that is where I was with the Seat Leon). Here there are ANOTHER TWO SECONDS beyond that! That' A LIFETIME! I really appreciate your taking the time to listen to my doubts.
You say 0,2 but it could also be 0,3 or 0,4 or 0,5 in other corners. It adds up... How many times did I find myself going "Wait what ? I gained 0,300 there ?! What did I do?!" ? Many times. All i can tell you is what works for me (and others, it would seem).
My PB is 1.56.2, that's still one second behind the best. So I have the same question as you : where do I find it ? Hell if I know. More training (and better training) ? Probably. Better gear ? Possibly. Better motor control of my limbs and a cooler head ? Most probably.