Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit of Qualification Etiquette
I see the point you are making, and I agree when it's literally the final turn, or very close to it.

But elsewhere... please imagine a mediocre driver whose main weakness is inconsistency. OK, you don't have to imagine, that's me ;-). Anyway, this driver is inconsistent, so sometimes he does this turn not so good, sometimes another. Every additional quali lap is important because maybe this will be that lucky lap when he will get most turns OK, and thanks to that will start midpack rather than at the very end.

So now imagine the mediocre driver trying to do 10-min quali on a long track, his hot lap is around 2 minutes. The quali starts, he spends some time fiddling with the setup, waiting for clear track, he goes on his outlap and finishes it at 2:30. Starts hotlapping, first hot lap should be done by 4:30. but at 4:00 he goes onto grass. The car is not damaged, but the lap is.

So you want him to go back to pits now, right? He would start his new outlap at say 4:10. Hotlap 6:20-8:20, another one 8:20-10:20, end. 2 hot laps - assuming nothing else happened.

If he safely rejoins and finishes that lap when he lost it at say 4:50, he will have a 4:50-6:50 hotlap, then 6:50-8:50 and 8:50-10:50. 3 hot laps. See my point?
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians

Messages In This Thread
RE: A bit of Qualification Etiquette - by Pawel Kusmierek - 04-15-2018, 12:29 AM