Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit of Qualification Etiquette
If you lose your car at the final turn during a qualification lap, please just reset to pits. There's absolutely no reason to try and recover your car at the final corner. You won't have the speed to set a good lap after that one, so you might as well pit and not get in the way of other drivers, who are potentially on hot laps.

I have a gif of this exact thing ruining my and 2 other's hot laps, but I'm scared to post it as it could be considered "discussing race incidents." I made this post to try and get newer people to realize the polite procedures during qualification.
I pretty much don't ever re-enter the circuit during qualifying if I lose it entirely. Which happens often. Because the grip is not 100% at the start of qualifying for zero good reasons. But yeah... teleport to pits instead of coming back on track unless you are 100% sure there is no one coming for 30+ seconds. And even then you probably want a new car because if you REALLY lose it into a wall, you are going to lose your aero or something. Smile
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(04-14-2018, 12:15 PM)Caleb Clifton Wrote:  If you lose your car at the final turn during a qualification lap, please just reset to pits. There's absolutely no reason to try and recover your car at the final corner. You won't have the speed to set a good lap after that one, so you might as well pit and not get in the way of other drivers, who are potentially on hot laps.

I have a gif of this exact thing ruining my and 2 other's hot laps, but I'm scared to post it as it could be considered "discussing race incidents." I made this post to try and get newer people to realize the polite procedures during qualification.

If they don't have RACE etiquette, then we can put QUAL. etiquette right in there somewhere Big Grin
I drive it like I would in real life. If I can recover it, I will, and make the safest possible rejoin. If it hurts someone else's time, too bad, that's racing.
Return to pits is right there behind the escape key. If you screw someone out of a good lap time trying to rejoin in a qualifying period that lasts only TEN MINUTES* then you are just being a jerk. That's not racing. That's you being a jerk.

*In real life qualifying lasts way more than 10 minutes. This is still pretend race cars, my good man. You should adjust accordingly.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
I see the point you are making, and I agree when it's literally the final turn, or very close to it.

But elsewhere... please imagine a mediocre driver whose main weakness is inconsistency. OK, you don't have to imagine, that's me ;-). Anyway, this driver is inconsistent, so sometimes he does this turn not so good, sometimes another. Every additional quali lap is important because maybe this will be that lucky lap when he will get most turns OK, and thanks to that will start midpack rather than at the very end.

So now imagine the mediocre driver trying to do 10-min quali on a long track, his hot lap is around 2 minutes. The quali starts, he spends some time fiddling with the setup, waiting for clear track, he goes on his outlap and finishes it at 2:30. Starts hotlapping, first hot lap should be done by 4:30. but at 4:00 he goes onto grass. The car is not damaged, but the lap is.

So you want him to go back to pits now, right? He would start his new outlap at say 4:10. Hotlap 6:20-8:20, another one 8:20-10:20, end. 2 hot laps - assuming nothing else happened.

If he safely rejoins and finishes that lap when he lost it at say 4:50, he will have a 4:50-6:50 hotlap, then 6:50-8:50 and 8:50-10:50. 3 hot laps. See my point?
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
I see your point... it's a point I kind of made myself. "But yeah... teleport to pits instead of coming back on track unless you are 100% sure there is no one coming for 30+ seconds." If you can safely rejoin... great. But on a crowded grid it is very likely you are going to slow someone else down getting on... even if you get on clean they'll be trying to overtake you almost immediately.

And if you are struggling with consistency, then perhaps qualifying towards the very back of the grid is where you SHOULD be so you aren't taking out half the field on lap 2 because you got a halfway decent qualifying lap and it happened to be a fluke.
when he goes from pits then he can easily spoil start of your lapthen, what some times makes fast drivers too to the other on fast lap, theymust overtake and cost their fast lap instead make some gap
A real problem is slower drivers coming out of pits when there's a faster driver behind on a fast lap. They stay on racing line and hold up the faster driver. If ur on an out lap u have no priority and should get off the racing line. Had this terribly at VIR in GT3's last night, cost me pole.
(04-15-2018, 03:06 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  And if you are struggling with consistency, then perhaps qualifying towards the very back of the grid is where you SHOULD be so you aren't taking out half the field on lap 2 because you got a halfway decent qualifying lap and it happened to be a fluke.

Good point... Although I don't really have much of a history of taking people out, especially compared to the number of times I was taken out. I may be not very consistent, but as a result I am slow, not dangerous to others. Even if my race starts from the back, whether due to poor quali or because I was crashed by someone in lap 1, I usually gain positions throughout the race mostly because of other people crashing out.
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians