Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audi TT Cup
Is anyone else having trouble figuring out how to handle the Audi TT? I hope to get my first race in tonight as I've been busy but I've had a few practice sessions at Nurburgring GP and am really struggling with it after the perfectly balanced MX-5.

I've tried tweaking the setup but nothing gets around that strong on-throttle understeer. The car just feels like it would be happier on the motorway on cruise control.

I have found that it seems to reward trail breaking right to the apex to get it turned in. But as soon as I get on the gas it drives wide. Makes me want to oversteer in to allow for understeer on exit.

Has anyone found a way to work with, rather than against, this car? Setup tweaks? Driving style?
You just cant go full throttle on the exit, you have to go gradually
NEVER GIVE UP!
Have you tried some (or a lot of) toe-out on the front wheels ? Loosening up the rear is also a solution.
(02-15-2018, 12:59 PM)Marek Vons Wrote:  You just cant go full throttle on the exit, you have to go gradually

That makes sense, like how with the Audi you really need to very gradually trail off the brakes to the apex to keep the front loaded. Maybe I've just been too impatient.

Do you get to full gas much later in the turn than you would with a RWD car? Or do you just focus on very slow throttle application?

(02-15-2018, 01:49 PM)Pierre Caillet Wrote:  Have you tried some (or a lot of) toe-out on the front wheels ? Loosening up the rear is also a solution.

I've tried setting toe to zero on all wheels but not toe-out. What do you mean by loosening up the rear?
I would say that I just focus on very slow throttle application, it just needs more and more practice
NEVER GIVE UP!
I guess it's just having the patience to crack on a little maintenance throttle, then very slowly increase until the exit opens up. Ok I'll focus on smoothing my exit throttle. Thanks Marek.
Try setting the front toe to -0.1 and rear toe to +0.1 ish. Refer to the setup actual values on the right opposed to the values you click on. Neg value at the front helps the car turn in.
Pos value at the rear helps keep the rear stable under braking entering a corner. Both cause more tyre wear/heat and will slow you down on straights very slightly.
You could also try softening the front ARB or alternatively stiffening the rear ARB. Either has the same effect, it's just a matter of balancing the car.
Always do at least 5 or 6 laps after each setup change before you decide if you like it or not. I usually try to do 10-15 laps between changes keeping a close eye on the delta app to see where I'm losing/gaining time.
(02-15-2018, 03:21 PM)Gianni Gentles Wrote:  Try setting the front toe to -0.1 and rear toe to +0.1 ish. Refer to the setup actual values on the right opposed to the values you click on. Neg value at the front helps the car turn in.
Pos value at the rear helps keep the rear stable under braking entering a corner. Both cause more tyre wear/heat and will slow you down on straights very slightly.
You could also try softening the front ARB or alternatively stiffening the rear ARB. Either has the same effect, it's just a matter of balancing the car.
Always do at least 5 or 6 laps after each setup change before you decide if you like it or not. I usually try to do 10-15 laps between changes keeping a close eye on the delta app to see where I'm losing/gaining time.

I'll give the toe settings a go thanks. What about camber? I tend to aim for about 6C temperature difference between inside and outside of the tyres but the Audi is set up with loads more negative camber than this. Is it a FWD thing?

I already tried lowering front ARB a notch, any more and it gets a bit sloppy. Likewise with spring rate at the front, may try again but it was too undersprung to me on the lower setting. Admittedly I was only giving it 2-6 laps at each setting change.

Also, I appreciate that people are willing to share advice. Thanks.
Camber is very much down to your own driving technique IMHO. High neg camber makes for longer braking distances but earlier on the throttle on corner exit. Personally I use high neg camber on tracks with more slow tight turns, Zandvoort is a good example where you can gain lots of time and get good exits onto long straights.
I don't worry too much about temp differences between outer and inner tyres. Sometimes it's up to 15°c difference on some setups. So long as overall tyre temps aren't too high (or too low) I'm usually ok. Again that's more to do with my own driving technique and what I'm comfortable with and may not suit everyone.
I should put a disclaimer in here. I'm not the fastest guy to be taking advice from. There are lots of guys much faster than me, but I'll usually qualify in the top 5 if that makes any difference.
What a perfect series to boost incident rating Smile Tight fight though, this car is perfect for contact racing.