Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRSAMS FPS issue
I just ran a couple of races via the new srsams app and experienced a much lower framerate than I usually get. Between races I dropped my graphics settings to a minimal level from the maximum levels I ran in the 1st race and I still got a low framerate. It was a few frames better, but not really playable comfortably. Changed from 24fps to 28fps.
After the 2nd race I connected to a random AMS public server, which had as many opponents connected as I saw in either of the SRS races, for a test and my framerate was fine. Back to at least the 60fps my tv/monitor uses.
Any ideas what is happening? Is the srsams app opening AMS in windowed mode, or something like that? I usually run in fullscreen mode.
Thanks in advance for any guidance,
JimG
Were you running against AIs on our server?
(12-24-2017, 01:18 AM)simracingsystem Wrote:  Were you running against AIs on our server?

No, it was real people. I hope Wink 

It was the Boxers at 20:30 23-12-17, and the Petrobras series race at 22:30. The results show it.

I was just saying that I went to one of the servers in the list of multiplayer servers in AMS to check if I was having some issue with connections to online servers in AMS, in general, as I haven't connected to many AMS server games before now. Usually they are empty, but I found one with several people connected, so I joined them just to test if I was getting low fps. It turns out all was fine.

I just re-configured AMS and ran it in windowed mode and the in-game fps counter (CTRL-F) reports 120fps so this isn't a problem with my system (as I've mentioned I've had recently, in another thread.)  When I run AMS normally it's in full screen mode and the in-game fps is reported as 60fps, which is fine as it's my monitor's refresh rate. I usually set the in-game framerate limiter to 90, anyway. I just this evening re-adjusted that to 120 to help diagnose this issue and my system can run AMS at that rate, it seems.

I'm going to try for a third time in the next Boxer race, in half hour or so. I will pre-configure AMS in windowed mode this time, and see how it goes and report back.

Post-race edit: Yeah, I still only get 27 or 28 fps on the SRS server. And yeah, I'm that much of a noob, I spun 90 degrees right and hit the wall at the start of the race. lol
JimG
I am happy to report the srsams app is now fully functional for me and the in-game fps counter now reports up to 150fps, after following the advice given to Paulo Gomes (suffering similarly low fps woes) in the Automobilista App thread.

see here... http://www.simracingsystem.com/showthrea...04&page=15

JimG
(12-28-2017, 01:23 AM)Jim Gorman Wrote:  I am happy to report the srsams app is now fully functional for me and the in-game fps counter now reports up to 150fps, after following the advice given to Paulo Gomes (suffering similarly low fps woes) in the Automobilista App thread.

JimG

I've had this issue in 2 races (both AMS boxer) I've done, I checked that thread but didn't see the solution that Paulo and you found (guessing it is the one in portuguese but the translation isn't that clear. Is it to set AMS to use my card, because I am on a desktop and it only uses my Nvidia card. It set to is pretty distracting running at 30fps when i should be at 100+. It runs perfectly fine in the garage like Paulo stated too. I know it is running my GTX as I use MSI overlay and the specs are appropriate.
(12-30-2017, 09:25 PM)Mike Fertitta Wrote:  
(12-28-2017, 01:23 AM)Jim Gorman Wrote:  I am happy to report the srsams app is now fully functional for me and the in-game fps counter now reports up to 150fps, after following the advice given to Paulo Gomes (suffering similarly low fps woes) in the Automobilista App thread.

JimG

I've had this issue in 2 races (both AMS boxer) I've done, I checked that thread but didn't see the solution that Paulo and you found (guessing it is the one in portuguese but the translation isn't that clear. Is it to set AMS to use my card, because I am on a desktop and it only uses my Nvidia card. It set to is pretty distracting running at 30fps when i should be at 100+. It runs perfectly fine in the garage like Paulo stated too. I know it is running my GTX as I use MSI overlay and the specs are appropriate.
Rather than MSI Afterburner (or overlay as you call it - the same thing, I think), I was using Open Hardware Inspector and like you, all seemed well. I installed NVidia Inspector (NVI), which I didn't have previously. Its sensor monitors also appeared to show my GTX was 'in control' and running.

I couldn't see an option in the Profile Inspector section of  NVI to 'force' my graphics card so I had a closer look at the NVidia Control Panel in Windows' Control Panel. (Edit: That's because I didn't load Automobilista's profile at the time. Do that in Profile Inspector and an option to select a GPU is there and the options are 'Auto-select' or an obscure HW identifier, presumably one's GFX card. In fact I only discovered that function of the Profile Inspector after posting this reply. I'm not only new to sim-racing, I'm a noobie to PC gaming also, so I ain't done no GFX card-game-profile-fiddling. Also note, I'm on Windows7 so the following steps are possibly different on Windows 8 or 10)

In the 3D settings section, select Manage 3D Settings. On the right hand side there are 2 tabs.
Select the Program Settings tab. The 'Select a program to customise' drop-down box lists all your installed programs.
Select 'Automobilista (AMS.exe)'. It may take a moment to populate the drop-down box as it scans for all your programs.
I changed the 'Feature' setting, 'OpenGL rendering GPU' from 'Auto-select' to "Your Graphics Card", which should be listed.

That's all it took, if I remember correctly. I don't know for sure as I didn't write it down but back stepping through it just now, I think that's how I did it.

Good luck.

JimG
(12-31-2017, 12:23 AM)Jim Gorman Wrote:  
(12-30-2017, 09:25 PM)Mike Fertitta Wrote:  

JimG

Rather than MSI Afterburner (or overlay as you call it - the same thing, I think), I was using Open Hardware Inspector and like you, all seemed well. I installed NVidia Inspector (NVI), which I didn't have previously. Its sensor monitors also appeared to show my GTX was 'in control' and running.

I couldn't see an option in the Profile Inspector section of  NVI to 'force' my graphics card so I had a closer look at the NVidia Control Panel in Windows' Control Panel. (Edit: That's because I didn't load Automobilista's profile at the time. Do that in Profile Inspector and an option to select a GPU is there and the options are  'Auto-select' or an obscure HW identifier, presumably one's GFX card. In fact I only discovered that function of the Profile Inspector after posting this reply. I'm not only new to sim-racing, I'm a noobie to PC gaming also, so I ain't done no GFX card-game-profile-fiddling. Also note, I'm on Windows7 so the following steps are possibly different on Windows 8 or 10)

In the 3D settings section, select Manage 3D Settings. On the right hand side there are 2 tabs.
Select the Program Settings tab. The 'Select a program to customise' drop-down box lists all your installed programs.
Select 'Automobilista (AMS.exe)'. It may take a moment to populate the drop-down box as it scans for all your programs.
I changed the 'Feature' setting, 'OpenGL rendering GPU' from 'Auto-select' to "Your Graphics Card", which should be listed.

That's all it took, if I remember correctly. I don't know for sure as I didn't write it down but back stepping through it just now, I think that's how I did it.

Good luck.

JimG

Thank you for going through all that. I am pretty familiar with NV Inspector but I couldn't find where to select GPU, it is odd to see that you tried OpenGL, since AMS is an DX9 game. In NvInspector, I only have autoselect as an option. But as you wrote out in the NV control panel I found it, pretty odd. I hope it works, and maybe we will have a race together Wink.
Well, that did not fix it, must be something else. It isn't really low fps it is just locking my fps to 33 ±1. then it down clocks my gpu since it doesn't need to push hard. 33 is weird number to lock the fps at, it's not a half of refresh rate of 144. I might try rolling back to a non 388 series driver. As I mentioned before it works fine in the garage pretty strange.
(12-31-2017, 05:13 PM)Mike Fertitta Wrote:  Well, that did not fix it, must be something else. It isn't really low fps it is just locking my fps to 33 ±1. then it down clocks my gpu since it doesn't need to push hard. 33 is weird number to lock the fps at, it's not a half of refresh rate of 144. I might try rolling back to a non 388 series driver. As I mentioned before it works fine in the garage pretty strange.

Ok, this is definitely the same problem I had. While in the garage you can 'monitor' the other cars on track and the display is running at your normal fps rate. And then you pull out of the garage to go on track and.... 'Hey, where have most of my frames gone?'

I shall try and re-set my system back to the 'faulty' state to see if I can pin down how I cured this. Unfortunately, the only test that can confirm it is faulty again is to register for a race so that's only one test every 2 hours...  could take a while. Maybe I'll have the answer by next year. Wink

Edit: <4 hourrrrs laterrr> Two races completed and I can't break it. After re-setting the 'Feature' setting, 'OpenGL rendering GPU' from "GTX760" back to 'Auto-select' I ran 1st race at full fps with no problem. So that wasn't the only thing I must have changed it seems. Before the 2nd race I re-configured AMS back to 'Fullscreen' mode, which was the original mode I ran when first using the amssms application. It still ran with full fps with no problem, though there were a few 'stutters' but I think that's simply the infamous stuttering issue some people's systems have with AMS. It's possible I may have adjusted one of the Anti-Aliasing settings also, but I can't recall. Again, this forcing of AA settings was mentioned in the other thread as being some sort of 'necessity'. Originally, the only thing I thought this was referring to was the Advanced settings checkbox in the AMS config app. for NVidia systems only. So I will try to tweak one of the AA settings for Automobilista's profile in the NVidia Control Panel before the next race as a final attempt.

Final Edit: <1 yearrrr laterrrr> Before my 3rd race a moment ago, in NVidia Ctrl Panel, in the Automobilista custom profile I manually re-set 'AA - Mode' to 'Application controlled' (from 'Override any application setting) and also re-set 'AA - Setting' to 'Global setting Application-controlled' (from 4x) and pressed 'Apply'. I then went to the race and my fps count was all good. Upon re-checking these settings post-race I noticed they had either been re-set to their original values by the amssms app or the 'Apply' function didn't apply the settings. I'm kinda mystified by this. As far as I can recall, this is my system back to the state when I had low fps on track.
So, basically, I've gone round in a circle trying to re-create this issue without success. Once again, Mike, good luck finding your solution. I'm no longer definitely sure we have the same issue. Happy 2018!!
(12-31-2017, 06:56 PM)Jim Gorman Wrote:  
(12-31-2017, 05:13 PM)Mike Fertitta Wrote:  Well, that did not fix it, must be something else. It isn't really low fps it is just locking my fps to 33 ±1. then it down clocks my gpu since it doesn't need to push hard. 33 is weird number to lock the fps at, it's not a half of refresh rate of 144. I might try rolling back to a non 388 series driver. As I mentioned before it works fine in the garage pretty strange.

Ok, this is definitely the same problem I had. While in the garage you can 'monitor' the other cars on track and the display is running at your normal fps rate. And then you pull out of the garage to go on track and.... 'Hey, where have most of my frames gone?'

I shall try and re-set my system back to the 'faulty' state to see if I can pin down how I cured this. Unfortunately, the only test that can confirm it is faulty again is to register for a race so that's only one test every 2 hours...  could take a while. Maybe I'll have the answer by next year. Wink

Edit: <4 hourrrrs  laterrr> Two races completed and I can't break it. After re-setting the  'Feature' setting, 'OpenGL rendering GPU' from "GTX760" back to 'Auto-select' I ran 1st race at full fps with no problem. So that wasn't the only thing I must have changed it seems. Before the 2nd race I re-configured AMS back to 'Fullscreen' mode, which was the original mode I ran when first using the amssms application. It still ran with full fps with no problem, though there were a few 'stutters' but I think that's simply the infamous stuttering issue some people's systems have with AMS.  It's possible I may have adjusted one of the Anti-Aliasing settings also, but I can't recall. Again, this forcing of AA settings was mentioned in the other thread as being some sort of 'necessity'. Originally, the only thing I thought this was referring to was the Advanced settings checkbox in the AMS config app. for NVidia systems only. So I will try to tweak one of the AA settings for Automobilista's profile in the NVidia Control Panel before the next race as a final attempt.

Final Edit: <1 yearrrr laterrrr> Before my 3rd race a moment ago, in NVidia Ctrl Panel, in the Automobilista custom profile I manually re-set 'AA - Mode' to 'Application controlled' (from 'Override any application setting) and also re-set 'AA - Setting' to 'Global setting Application-controlled' (from 4x) and pressed 'Apply'. I then went to the race and my fps count was all good. Upon re-checking these settings post-race I noticed they had either been re-set to their original values by the amssms app or the 'Apply' function didn't apply the settings. I'm kinda mystified by this.  As far as I can recall, this is my system back to the state when I had low fps on track.
So, basically, I've gone round in a circle trying to re-create this issue without success. Once again, Mike, good luck finding your solution. I'm no longer definitely sure we have the same issue. Happy 2018!!

Thanks, glad you can enjoy a race or two. I have that same annoyance with only being able to try a fix so very infrequently. Still stuck at 33 fps when I'm in control, but now I noticed that out of the car watching through the replay it is locking the fps at 125, no variability at all. Tried fullscreen and windowed, AA and no AA, tried the older 385.69 drivers all the same. I am still leaning towards it being the Fall Creators update + Nvidia drivers bug for me. I have a GTX 1080 so there are no potential lack of power. Works fine when connecting to a race through the in game browser.

EDIT: I might have found a semi fix, go to UserData/<name>/<name>.plr (mine is in the My Documents folder not game directory) in this file change Delay Video Swap to 1 from 0. However, is still running at a locked fps, just is 125 instead of 34 now. But more than good enough to race.