Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Servers with SRS, possible?
What I like about SRS, is the "register/sign up" Service for Races at a certain Time.
Would it be possible to allow "private/own" Servers with the SRS System?
Like a private Section in the SRS app, where non official Races are running.

I am thinking about to rent a 24 Grid Sever for AC , but  there are so many other(mostly empty) servers in the online Lobby , i don´t think it would be very populated.
But if i could run the Server within SRS, i am sure it would be much better.

There are Limits how much Races/Servers SRS can do on its own,
but with private Servers there could be much more Races(with more varieties of Race length,car/track combos etc...)
and i think this would help SRS to grow and will also be good for the Official Series, because the People still have to register to SRS first...
so its not really a thing of competition or rivalry to the official series of SRS.
Its just about having more "structured,easy useable" Online Racing, without the need of a own Website/Forum/communitie...

I would like to know what  SRS and the Users think about this...
SRS only runs on its own servers.
Regarding capacity, we could run much more series at the moment but there is a reason why we are not, it would not improve the numbers.
In fact we got the worst results when overlaping sessions.

There are new types of competitions coming and should be announced soon, but following the same logic, no overlaping.
I think having a server running 24/7 changing daily with cars and tracks from the current, or upcoming series would be a good idea. You could give the server a password and then just put password on here.

be good for people to be able to practise races together and have some less serious "fun" races
(11-21-2017, 09:33 PM)Gavin Ranson Wrote:  I think having a server running 24/7 changing daily with cars and tracks from the current, or upcoming series would be a good idea. You could give the server a password and then just put password on here.

be good for people to be able to practise races together and have some less serious "fun" races

I'd love something like this. Between races on here when I still want to be on with other "warm bodies" I join the 24/7 Spa Track Day server. Pretty chill guys on there, but it'd be more interesting to see others I race with on here outside of actual races.

For the SimPit series, someone started up a server racing that week's race conditions for us to practice on. It's used on and off throughout the week, but Wed. night it gets quite a bit of traffic since it is the day before the races start for that week.

I imagine if you had a practice server running with whatever the next race is would get plenty of traffic.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Why do you need a server before the actual races? You can set the practice or hotlap offline, with the same temperatures as on the servers etc., there you are alone and you can practice hotlaps or even laps with full fuel and other compound
NEVER GIVE UP!
(11-22-2017, 08:34 AM)Marek Vons Wrote:  Why do you need a server before the actual races? You can set the practice or hotlap offline, with the same temperatures as on the servers etc., there you are alone and you can practice hotlaps or even laps with full fuel and other compound

A few points here to make.

Firstly, I have yet to find out how to get the server's exact settings before the race actually starts (weather, time of day, temps). Where is that information shown? All I see in the race specifications is like the following example:

Code:
Start / Finish: 2017-11-19 - 2017-12-31
Session schedule: 00:00,06:00,09:00,12:00,17:00,22:00
Starting Mode: FastStanding // Fuel Usage: 100 // Tire Usage: 100 // Mech Failures: 1 // Race Start Time: 23:58:00 // Race Time Scale: 1
Driving aids: TC: 1 // AB: 1 // SC: 0

If time of day, temps, and weather specifics are available, I'd love know where to get them, as going into a track full of people TOTALLY blind is a truly awful idea, so I might as well have it set up right to start with.

Secondly, I believe that part of the reason many racers on here are struggling is that all they do is hotlap on the track alone (if that!) and have zero idea how to deal with someone right on their tail or right in front of them. Getting good and consistent lap times is a big part of racing, but that's not 100% of it*. You likely won't learn how to alter your brake zone for an overtake, how to safely protect position, how to re-enter the track without t-boning other cars... the list goes on and on. 

Thirdly, watching other drivers' POVs from the pit is an invaluable resource. Doing so can allow you to immediately pick up the nuances of a particular car/track combination that you would have to spend hours and hours on privately to discover... if ever. When I do this I can typically shave a couple of seconds off of a track I'm not familiar after watching just one lap of a talented driver.

And finally, you can actually meet and have conversations with other people you are competing against. I think many people would be less apt to knob things up in T1 if they could internalize that there are actual human beings (and some aliens) across the Internet wires when they are racing on SRS (or anywhere).

In conclusion, doing nothing but private hotlapping is a really boring and not-all-that-useful way to practice racing.

*Unless, of course, you are so fast that you never have to pass anyone that isn't blue flagged to you.  Tongue
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Time of the day doesnt really matter, only in the matter of sun height and light. Weather is random (from what I heard), and the temps, air is always 21 and track is I think 6 degrees more. But, being as you said totally blind is the thing from real motorsport too.. they can practice on friday with nice weather and good temperatures, but then the race day comes and the weather and temps can be a lot different.

Secondly - well there are also public servers to practice driving in traffic. Or you can practice with your friends like I do with mine. I create the server and we drive free and practice in traffic. Or you can try also AI, but I think thats not really good.

Thirdly - youtube, youtube, youtube Big Grin I have learned a lot from the videos about what line to take, how to enter and exit corners.

I am not saying your ideas are bad, they are good, I just dont know if SRS would like to accept these ideas and have some practice servers.I am just saying what I did when learning how to drive etc., I am not saying practice server would be a bad thing. Just giving you some tips.
NEVER GIVE UP!
Russell said pretty much everything I was going to say, but I'll add some more. I hate hotlapping, I get bored pretty quick, I get fast in car/tracks by racing them online in pub servers, I get fast but have fun while doing it. Another thing was Bernd was saying he was thinking of renting a server, anyone could rent a server, put a password on it and put what cars/tracks they want, then just let people on here know the password, if someone did this I would join the server. If the people on the discord server jumped in people would be able to offer advice, setups etc. One more thing, when I used to play gt5 there was always voice chat, I must say tbh it put me off driving as Im male and can only do 1 thing at a time but between races we had a right laugh, that is the only thing I miss about console gaming.

Basically, if SRS or anyone else wants to set up a server with srs races I'd be happy to join for some light hearted racing and to offer advise through discord, if I can figure out how to get the voice bit to work

Something else I just thought of is if it wasn't password protected it could attract new people to the official races, I joined because I kept seeing srs servers running combos I liked in the main ac server list
(11-22-2017, 01:56 PM)Marek Vons Wrote:  Time of the day doesnt really matter, only in the matter of sun height and light. Weather is random (from what I heard), and the temps, air is always 21 and track is I think 6 degrees more. But, being as you said totally blind is the thing from real motorsport too.. they can practice on friday with nice weather and good temperatures, but then the race day comes and the weather and temps can be a lot different.

Secondly - well there are also public servers to practice driving in traffic. Or you can practice with your friends like I do with mine. I create the server and we drive free and practice in traffic. Or you can try also AI, but I think thats not really good.

Thirdly - youtube, youtube, youtube Big Grin I have learned a lot from the videos about what line to take, how to enter and exit corners.

I am not saying your ideas are bad, they are good, I just dont know if SRS would like to accept these ideas and have some practice servers.I am just saying what I did when learning how to drive etc., I am not saying practice server would be a bad thing. Just giving you some tips.

Right on. Thanks for the response!

Time of day and weather matters a bit to me because I'm a bad and I like to have everything as samey as possible. Given that I'm not a professional race car driver (I'm not if even sure 1% of the folks on SRS are), the fewer variables the better for giving everyone involved the best chance at efficient preparation for a race. 

Public servers aren't typically going to host car/track combos being run on SRS races, so that's mostly out. Except of course public servers set up specifically for this purpose, like the currently running "The Simpit Battle of the Beamers SRS Series practice server".

And yes... youtube has been a useful resource in a few cases. Much like the public servers issue, unless it is a really obvious combo (GT3 @ Spa or something) you probably aren't going to find a similar example to what you'll be racing. For general race craft, it's invaluable (I've been digging on Driver61's Driving University... everyone should check it out, btw). But being able to just watch someone fast through their cockpit cam is almost immediate and requires zero research assuming this practice server exists, of course.

I have tried hopping on the Discord for voice for races, but it has been empty every time I've tried. Likely for the best, as, like Gavin, I have a hard time doing more than one thing at a time... at least when that one thing is trying to go fast in a car. Big Grin
Today I was on the discord too when I raced, had a nice talk with Javier. We all can meet again next time
NEVER GIVE UP!