Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Wheeler's Problems
Hi, people. 

I really love open wheel cars, they are my favorite type of racing cars and they are very difficult to drive most of their series. People who compete with this kind of car have to think a little bit different from the mindset of touring car's drivers, because the contacts may cause more accidents and they need a time consuming preparation to get safe to drive, mitigating risk not only for your race, but the race of your fellow drivers. 

For a long time, I have avoided racing this kind of car on SRS because of people who gets into the race  but they are not prepared to manage, most of the time, a single lap without spin out. Now I'm trying to get good results on F2 championship that has a prize for the winning and I still seeing such horrible things. 

Back then when I gave up on these series, I thought the "solution" could be a minimum driver ranking to get into some races. Those for 600+ wasn't enough for avoid such things happen. So, we should think on a different way to mitigate this problem on forward series, hopefully with your beloved drivers here that like to participate on discussions like this. I bring here one suggestion, since I didn't see anything before on this forum I have search: 

1. Why not a new driver and national rating for Open Wheeler series that could count as a parallel counting to general road rating? We see some divisions that are too sub-used like oval and off-road. We could use a fraction of the road rating to decide who would get into the race for the series, but season by season, the weight of the open wheel rating could be increased.

2. We could increase the time of offline practicing of a driver for ALL SERIES by implementing a sort of a lap simple counting and analysis on a update of the SKIN APP, that could be renamed by some other than this. I'd really love to help on such a thing.

What do you think, mates?

Best wishes for all.
Eduardo Sá (ºLº)
Tim gave some ideas not a long time ago
https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=9464
Shaun Clarke Racing team.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXFr32FURbIpcY7IAMUaO7A
There is really not a good solution for this. rating limits do not work as we have seen in previous season of f1, the only result was lower number of drivers in those races withou any possitive effect on the skill involved. I do only drive these kind of series and its mostly the same all the time, there is only few people who can actually drive these types of cars fast and keep it under control, then there are few more who might not be as fast but still handle these cars very well (all those people are the ones i meet in practice), but the rest of the field is not really prepared for these cars, resulting in massive speed differences (10s per lap is a lot)and many difficult moments in quali and in race. The only thing you can really do is try to apeal to the rest of the field to try a bit more practice so they are not so off the pace and can do a lap without spin or crash. And then when racing just keep in mind you are racing drivers with varying skill, so when catching slower cars keep in mind they are having trouble controling the car, that they will be much slower even in places where you do not expect it, and try to overtake them with extreme caution in places where it will be easy for them, you might loose a bit of time but it is better than crashes. Think ahead, for example if i see i will catch him before slow difficult corner where it will be difficult for him to even try to make extra room i just loose few tenths in a way so i get close on the exit and overtake him on the next straight. As for the slower drivers the best thing you can do is keep going like you are used to, the faster car will avoid you if you behave predictable, worst thing that slower can do is try to make room in some unpredictable way that will result in both cars going for the same space with massive speed difference and very little time to do anything. Any limits on drivers based on skill or speed will finally result in low number of drivers attending the race, and to be honest i do preffer racing against full grid, not just few people. If there was for example 107% limit rule, in some races i have done that would result in only first 6 or7 drivers being allowed to race. So the solution is easy, if you are fast and good try be more carefull and tolerant to slower drivers, and if you are slow and have trouble controling the car do some more practice before the race and on the server try to be predictable and it will work out fine.
IMO, open-wheeler series should not be fixed setup. Working on the setup can really make the car more manageable, maybe slower, but this can help drivers stay on track more. Skilled drivers, on the other hand, can tune their setup to their driving style and benefit.
(12-07-2020, 08:35 AM)Sergio Mendez Wrote:  Tim gave some ideas not a long time ago
https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=9464
Thank you. I think I did only search on suggestion box.
Eduardo Sá (ºLº)
No worries! And I’m sure there are some other topics with nice ideas like yours are!
Shaun Clarke Racing team.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXFr32FURbIpcY7IAMUaO7A