Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More weight to recent results
I think the gist of this has already been suggested somewhere, but I couldn't find it. So here is my suggestion. 

Rating and Incident Average are currently a running, historic tally. I think that more weight should be given to recent results, to better represent what a driver is like now (or rather, what h'e been like lately). 

Historic results mean that people who ran a lot and achieved a lot in the past, but are not currently active anymore, rule the standings and will never get down from there. Hypothetically, a driver could be somewhere around #100 in the overall standings, yet he could be the best guy around these days. 

Or, someone who got a bad start with lots of incidents and now is a much more careful driver could have a high IA, even if his last races have been cleaner than that. The reverse is also true: if someone was very careful and he raced a lot in the past, he can easily look good while having an aggressive behaviour these days. 

So, what I suggest is to give a lower weight to results older than, say, a month, and maybe even lower weights for other thresholds. For example, 0.7 if older than a month, 0.4 if older than a year, 0.1 if older than two years. Of course this would need to be adapted to the actual Rating algorithm, which is rightfully kept secret. 

I realize that this may not be possible due to how Ratings and Incident Averages are computed and stored. But if it was, I think it would help people understand who they're racing against.
As someone who mainly races the 1hr races, I would love to see the incident race to be per 20 minutes rather than per race.

I also know what you mean about the averaging as well. Having raced 600 races it has taken me almost a year to come down from 2.7 to 1.8, and any race where I get 0 incidents lowers it by about 0.003.
(12-03-2020, 04:55 PM)Tim Cullingworth Wrote:  As someone who mainly races the 1hr races, I would love to see the incident race to be per 20 minutes rather than per race.
Incidents per race is more representative of each drivers safety than incidents per time. A couple of drivers I’ve tracked show very close to identical incidents per race for both 20 and 60 minute races.

That means if it were changed to incidents per hour, then someone who runs only 20 minute races would be expected to be 3x more dangerous than he really is when joining a 60 minute race, and vice-versa for a driver who only does 60 minute races.

Now, incident rating isn’t currently used for anything on SRS, but if it were then it needs to be a reliable metric that can be used to roughly predict drivers safety level, and that seems to be what the current method does, at least as far as counting inc/race anyways.