Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea: average points calculation
hello, this is an idea and not a criticism. 
This is an idea.
I repeat: this is an idea, and i have placed it in the suggestion box thread, as a suggestion. 
Ok, here is my idea, here goes: 
"the current rules are
  • Up to 5 Races - Counts the best result (points including incidents);

• More than 5 races - Average of all your races.
Because of this, you can have driver A scoring, 89,99, 102, 102, 102.  5 races, 3 wins, total points of 494. 

Driver B does 1 race. And scores 98. 
At this point, driver A is ahead. 
The moment driver A does a 6th race, and wins it, his score flips to an average, of 99.3. 
Driver A is then placed behind driver B in the standings, despite having done less races, scored less wins, and less points. 
This is a suggestion only and not a criticism: Would it not make more sense to take an average from the 5 best results? 

This would allow driver A to continue racing for fun, and participate more.

I repeat - this is a suggestion only, and not a criticism, so please do not ban me.
I see your point, yet I think the system in its current state is quite sensible since I think that racing should be about performing when needed rather than being awarded for trying until it eventually works.
So I think it's silly to punish the driver who manages to score better with fewer attempts (this is what your suggested system would basically do).

Moreover, the current system is the same for everyone and everyone has to read the rules before competing, so there is no excuse for not knowing and unintentionally only getting the average in the standings(this is why most people usually complain about the system, but I don't know why you do).

And if you want to compete for fun you can still do this in other series here or on public servers somewhere else.
Your point is clear, but for the sake of accuracy 99.3 is still more than 98 Smile
Yeah, the whole point is to make it so that people with day jobs can still compete with folks with way more time on their hands. But even outside of that, I recommend not paying so much attention to the results of Daily Races. It's just Internet Points, after all. Race if it is enjoyable, and don't if it ain't. With this approach, you can race way more than 5 times a week if your heart desires! No ill effects!
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
This topic was already discussed in this thread:
https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=9469
You might find here most of the pros and cons to your suggestion.
I survived lap 1. Now I can deal with anything in life.
"Would it not make more sense to take an average from the 5 best results? "

Well, if you get taken out in a race or get hit (both rending points deduction) due someone else's mistake you would need to do a lot of races to try and raise the average and repair the damage.
If you have limited time to race that might be really hard/impossible.

On the other hand, if you get a really good result in one of the five races you can't do a sixth one without lowering your score due to the average calculation.

Well, racing six or more races is an active choice you do.
Ending up in a crash/contact that's not your fault is not your choice.
Based on that I think it's good the way it is.

Also, if the rules would change according to Ted's suggestion you can choose to be super aggressive and more or less count on people getting out of your way trying avoid penalties from contact even if it's not their fault.
That behavior should not exist regardless but it's possible.
If the best 5 out of all your races count I could race 15 races a week to get 5 102s. This would be such a grind-fest even more than it currently is.
Basically if you fight for the championship its "I need to get 102 in my 5 races this week or I'm out". I actaully would like an approach of best 3 results out of X races a week. Like that some particularly bad races where you get crashed out dont count.

imo the championships system is pretty good here