Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Distribution of many registered racers...
As a low rating player, I tend to agree with what Pierre is suggesting, even if Rob Russo made a valid point when talking about points. I love to race with a lot of cars on the track, even if I'm also terrified by potential contacts (especially because I - as a beginner - am likely going to be the cause).
I support what is said in this post...

Currently, if there are 20 slots in a circuit and 22 drivers register, a server is created with 20 drivers and another with only 2 drivers.

I think it would be more fun and better to distribute the number of pilots as follows:

(Number of pilots on each server) = (Total number of pilots) / (Number of servers required) and the rest of the division is distributed one by one among the servers starting with server 1

In this way, in the previous example (circuit with 20 slots) there would be 2 servers with 11 pilots. If there were 40 registered drivers there would be 2 servers with 20 drivers. If there were 41 registered drivers there would be 3 servers with 14, 14 and 13 drivers respectively.
Quote:"The system works as it works for a reason, not because I woke up one day and decided it was a good idea."
Digging this again, with a bit of a twist.

I might getting this wrong but when I register two years ago maybe, there were races with 3, 4 splits at times. Now it seems that the amount of people racing lowered a bit.

Still, there are people coming in all the time by the look of the "introduce yourself".

When I race, the level is high and I see that some of the people is the same.

So, if I'm not seeing this wrongly, there are people arriving but not staying.

If so, couldn't be the splits and the rank calculations one of the reasons?

Iracing has a lot of people and the skills level is well distributed. Cause there's a lot of people. Sure. And also a lot of splits.
In a lower level player base, shouldnt the scale the same? Smaller grids and more splits?

In Iracing you have lower skill level in their bouble split racing for podiums. It's fun for low level too. That's the thing that keeps people there.

If the grids are distributed like the op mentioned but also smaller grids and consequently more grids, it's fun for everyone. High level fights for podium and low level fights for podium. Keeping the interest level there for most of the people at in all races.

Like it is now is not lower skill level friendly. So people might arrive, make a few races, keep racing aline and being lapped and leave, not coming back again.

Just look at tatuus two split race. A grid with 23 people with a different of more then 8 seconds between first and last place. And then you have the second split with two people.

What's the difference between a 23 people split and 2 people split AND for instance splits with 9 - 8 - 8?

In the first exemple the top group is having fun but will never see the lower group, only when they're lapping them.
The second exemple you have 3 groups with different skill level fighting for podiums and all having fun.

Big grids are nice if the skill level is balanced, but with few people, the skill level is all over the place and that's suck for new people or low skill level ones.

5 seconds off pace it gets low skull level people racing alone, fighting not to be lapped more then 3 or 4 times. It's not fun.

Not keeping the interest for the low level, we stay with the highest level only. It's not a bad thing, but it's hard to keep the numbers and even harder to increase it.
I wouldn't mind a different split, if that improved the racing for everyone. But with all great ideas here, it seems a lot of people can agree on it, but it seems that the man in charge is not willing to change anything unfortunately. Let's hope this place doesn't die because of that.

And I also see less people then when I started. Part Covid I guess. And people may lose interest over time. This is also a thread with some nice proposed improvements: https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthre...?tid=10673 But to no avail.
One of the problems with smaller splits is that only the top split will count for official wins/podiums. And you also get less points. So if you're always in second split, people might lose interest. And obviously, races are more exciting with more drivers. I can definitely see both sides of the argument. All this wouldn't even be an issue if we had as many drivers as we did last year.
Low skill level players won't care much about official wins or less points for the championship. Ending up in 100th or 500th it's the same.
They will have bad results anyway in the top split. But at least with more splits, they could see a podium more closely in races. It makes them keep coming back chacing a podium. Official or unofficial. It's the carrot in front of the horse.

The ones more interested in championship points are the ones on top level. The rest just want to race and have fun.

Racing alone and being lapped by the usual house residents (high skill level players) is what makes them loose Interest.

Look at the results on the mx5 cup from 2019.
1632 players.
Now look at the mx5 cup from 2021
119 players.

And it is said that there was a boom in Sim racing due to people staying at home.

If the new low skilled are pushed away, we end up only with pros that eventually move to other places.

Big grid are more exciting if the levels are balanced. Usually it's not. There's a fast group racing each othet, a few lost in the middle racing alone and the lowest skill racing alone too and being lapped.

WorldSimSeries has the same system, more modern and actually easier to race cause the mods are installed automatically and also has more features. Still there's less and less people there.

Of course I have the notion that this is a free platform with limited resources
Something came into mind. If lower split less points system is a problem, why not having the same amount of points in all splits. BUT! Having a parallel extrapoints using the total race times from all splits. Giving extra points for the total time for all

Split 1
P1 - 15:00 10p
P2 - 15:02 9p
P3 - 15:05 8p

Split 2
P1 - 15:04 10p
P2 - 15:11 9p
P3 - 15:12 7p (he had 1 taken due to crach)

All Splits by total time extra points
P1-P1sp1 - 15:00 6p
P2-P2sp1 - 15:02 5p
P3-P1sp2 - 15:04 4p
P4-P3sp1 - 15:05 3p
Etc

Total points race points
P1-P1sp1 - 16p +2* = 18p
P2-P2sp1 - 14p +2* = 16p
P3-P1sp2 - 14p +1* = 15p
P4-P3sp1 -11p +2* = 13p

And keeping the top placement in every race like it is now.
If I'm not missing anything, almost everyone was racing for a win and every was was competing for the global equally, and the motivation to repeat races trying to improve the score was still there.

If raking is a problem then, give 2 extra points to all-in split 1 and 1 extra point for all in split 2, and so on.*
[quote pid='48923' dateline='1632096518']

Look at the results on the mx5 cup from 2019.
1632 players.
Now look at the mx5 cup from 2021
119 players.

[/quote]

There's a difference between those championships though. The first one had more than one race per day (like the current Lotus/Tatuus/Mini championships)
The second one had 1 race per week
By the way, the participation since the start of the summer of this year and decreased a lot
Oh, didn't notice that. Thanks