Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020)
Congrats to all on a great season; this is a monster of a car and everyone who stuck with the full six race schedule deserves to be commended.

I got to rediscover AC all over again this season thanks to my good high school buddy finally getting into sim racing, and me having to slowly walk him through the basics. Stuff we take for granted and do instinctively like how to download mods, how to build a setup, and how to race in a pack, had to teach him completely from the ground up. Didn't do too bad considering this is the most difficult car in the game and he even won a race in the North American timeslot but it's really cool to hear his feedback as an "outsider". AC's little quirks (and sim racing as a whole) still has a long way to go if we want our hobby to be approachable to the masses.

Obviously participation was a problem in the N/A races as many discovered the car to be well beyond their skill level and there was a drastic drop in car count even by the midway point of the season. It's definitely frustrating as a long-time sim-racer because we keep begging devs to put cars like the 787B in each sim, yet they are only driven once or twice for a giggle before being permanently parked. I think if you start seeing devs cut back their car roster to just the "heavy hitters" in the future (ACC being GT3 only, for example), this is why. It's a lot of resources to divert to something used by just a handful of people. Thankfully I was on vacation practically the whole month of December and able to drop into the EU events, run the car a bit more, & meet some of you guys.

Alright so the major setup thing Tyler and I found was related to differential. The 787B has ungodly levels of torque and requires laser precise throttle control but there's a way to counteract that and make it so you don't die on exit which is probably the issue a lot of you have when really pushing for good laptimes. What a lot of the IndyCar guys are doing IRL is running super low power (like 10-15%) and then super high coast (45% and above) so you can stomp on the throttle like a retard on exit. I just applied that here since prototypes are basically 2-seater open wheel cars. If you want more rotation through the corner or need to dial out excess oversteer, just mess with the sway bars to your liking.

The Kunos default setup is laughably bad and pretty much sets people up for failure. It's honestly too much to list but the two things that came to mind for me were how bad the default differential and camber values were. The car was over-cambered by over double the amount which made it stupidly erratic and had too much diff power + preload.

Le Mans was just a matter of NASCAR-style Daytona setups. You want the rear wing out of the air because you really don't need it here so raise the nose as high as possible, put it on max packers and min travel so it doesn't move, then lower the rear and do the same (max packers, min. travel). Think I topped out at 358km/h by myself.

The killer strat, as it has been on SRS for several years now, is just running hards and taking 1L of fuel at the pit stop. It's kind of not fun but until they change fuel/tire rate this will continue to be an easy way to pull 18+ seconds on your competitors.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020) - by Austin Ogonoski - 12-27-2020, 04:07 AM