Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020)
So I just did the race at MoSport today and unfortunately had a few incidents so it didn't go too well for me unfortunately. It was my first time racing at this track, so while the race didn't go too well for me I still enjoyed it quite a bit as the track is a real fun challenge in these cars. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to race again this week, hopefully I can as i'd like to finish the series with a good race.

Fuel on the setup I used is about 1.9L per lap, the race is 49 laps so that's 94L, pretty much the same as tracks like Spa and Imola. One thing to note is that Austin and Simon were about 9 seconds off from causing the race to be an extra lap, so maybe its better to use fuel for a 50 lap race just in case. The two of them were flying it and I'm not sure if they or anyone could have gone any quicker, so I think its very unlikely that a 50 lap race is possible, but it only requires 2L of extra fuel to be safe which shouldn't slow the car by a noticeable amount.

I feel tyre wear is the highest its ever been in this series at this track, due to the medium/high speed corners being very tough on them. I switched to softs at the 45:00 mark as I needed to repair damage so it was worth changing tyres. They went to the yellow medium grip zone after 5 laps, which is roughly 2 to 2.5 minutes earlier than at Imola (they went yellow after 5 laps at Imola too but that track takes nearly 30 seconds longer to complete a lap than at MoSport). By the end of the race after 15 minutes driving on them, they were nearly in the red low grip zone and my times really began to fall off, this was much sooner than my experience at Imola for example. 
I feel that not changing tyres and just adding 1L of fuel is by far the best strategy at this track and is more powerful then it was at tracks like Spa or Imola because it is really hard to overtake here. 
If you are really not comfortable at making hards last the full hour, then I'd recommend putting on fresh hards after the 30:00 mark as you'll have good grip throughout the race. 
Perhaps putting on softs might be better than fresh hards, I'm not sure and I don't have time nor want to test it out, but if you put on softs then don't do it any sooner then the 45:00 mark. The last few laps on softs will be a bit lower on grip so really if you are considering this strategy option, I think you'd be far better off not changing tyres at all as I said before.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020) - by Donnchadh MacGarry - 12-21-2020, 11:42 PM