Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020)
(11-30-2020, 07:09 AM)Austin Ogonoski Wrote:  Strategy for this series is pretty simple.
Hard tires, 99L + 3-5L at the pit stop. Will work at most tracks.
Nurburgring, Hard tires, 60L+60L at the pit stop.
Haven't tested Le Mans yet. Will probably just use Monza set with different gearing.

Setup is pretty basic. Very low power (10%-15%), 40-50% coast, no preload. Camber I think -1.1 front, -1.4 rear. Make 1st and 2nd gear a little longer so you don't spin the tires out of low speed corners. The easier you make this car handle, the faster you go.
Yeah I probably should have had more faith in my results from Imola as that one had one set of hards with a quick splash and dash for the pitstop as the quickest by a few seconds. I just wasn't confident enough in the consistency of my own driving to say it was definitely the case, and when I wrote that post I had been put off a bit from starting on hards after my slow start in the first race. Even though I don't think we've raced each other I know just how good a driver you are, I've been subbed to your Youtube channel for at least two years I think, so I really appreciate your input.

I'm assuming you are referring to Nordschleife when you say Nurburgring, it couldn't be anything else, sorry if I sound pedantic. I'm curious as to why you say to start with 60L of fuel and add 60L in the pitstop. It will take 36 seconds to add that amount of fuel (0.6 seconds per litre). That's 35 seconds longer than a pitstop with 1L fuel added with no tyre change and 26 seconds slower than a pitstop that changes tyres and adds up to 17L of fuel. Would you really save that amount of time in the first stint on a lighter tank? It requires to average the first stint (4 laps) at least roughly 7 seconds a lap quicker than a strategy that changes tyres and adds up to 17L of fuel. If its possible I'm guessing that it would require a driver to really be on the limit and push hard, I'm not confident enough with that track to try something like that. Also if it is possible, why would you use it for that track and not others?

[Edit: It seems this post is tying itself to my previous response to Austin because I'm writing it so soon afterwards, so just to make it clear this part is separate to the thing I wrote above and is more directed to everyone]

Le Mans 1967 (or Le Grand Circuit 1967 if you prefer) is the track this week for the Euro series. If  you haven't seen the Le Mans 1971 movie with Steve McQueen, I highly recommend it. There's not much story, the film is basically watching the cars from this era going around the track. The sounds of the engines are just amazing and there's no CGI, the camera's are strapped to the cars. What more could you want.

Unfortunately I didn't get much time to test this circuit this weekend, I only got to try it for about 20 minutes at most. I hadn't driven the circuit much before, I think I've done at most 5 laps in a GP legends car over a year ago, so most of my time was spend just using the Imola setup so I could relearn the track. I then took off all the aero since topspeed will be crucial here, but I spun out all the time as the rear got so light. At the time, I had forgotten that setups by Patrick Brown (which I linked to in my first post) had one for Monza, so from now I'll probably use that as my base and add some adjustments to gearing and possibly aero if required, just like Austin said. I think Patrick's setups only change the gearing and aero from track to track, the suspension, differential, etc. settings are all the same from what I could tell. When I get some more testing and practicing done, I'll throw up anything new I've learnt, but I reckon all the previous posts by everybody on this thread contains all the necessary information that can be applied to this track. Maybe test fuel usage before doing a race, I think it might be higher at this track since we'll have the accelerator planted most of the time.

Oh, one thing I noticed during my short practice at Le Mans (and last week along the long straight in Nordschleife) is that tyre pressures and temperatures get very low along the straights, since there are long time gaps between brake zones and there isn't as much lateral loads on the tyres over the course of a lap. So cold tyre pressures will need to be increased by a few clicks. 

I'm not going to be able to do the first race tonight, so good luck to everyone in that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020) - by Donnchadh MacGarry - 11-30-2020, 08:01 PM