Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Points for the championship
Hi.

I don't know if this has been discussed before.

When you do up to 5 races, your best result counts. If you do 6 or more, the average off all races will get your score. I think this could be unfair? And also may prevent people from doing a sixth or more race. For example. I got these point results: 95, 84, 90, 61, 62, 90. This averaged to 81.8. If I would not have done that last race, I would have 95 points, correct?

So wouldn't it be better to just count the best result? No matter how many races? This way everybody would keep trying to get a better result, and maybe more people would join a race. Or maybe take the best 3 results and average that. 

What do you all think?
(09-24-2020, 02:18 PM)Maurice Klerken Wrote:  Hi.

I don't know if this has been discussed before.

When you do up to 5 races, your best result counts. If you do 6 or more, the average off all races will get your score. I think this could be unfair? And also may prevent people from doing a sixth or more race. For example. I got these point results: 95, 84, 90, 61, 62, 90. This averaged to 81.8. If I would not have done that last race, I would have 95 points, correct?

So wouldn't it be better to just count the best result? No matter how many races? This way everybody would keep trying to get a better result, and maybe more people would join a race. Or maybe take the best 3 results and average that. 

What do you all think?
It may be discussed but I don't think it's unfair.
This rule rewards the players that can achieve their best result with the lesser amount of races, which is certainly a skill. Were they 6 or 4 or 7, it would be the same, but I wouldn't like for sure counting the best result regardless from the number of races, since this 1) would be a great advantage for those who have time to race all day long 2) would incentivate screwing up races if you don't like how it started ("Ok, the hell with that, let's go with the next one") or risky behaviours since you'll always have one more try.
Maybe 7 races instead of 5 - one race a day - could be considered, but not as many races as you like in my opinion.
I survived lap 1. Now I can deal with anything in life.
I get what you're saying.
For me I try to do as many races as I can, that fit in my schedule. But if my first 5 races are really good, then doing a sixth or more would be risky, because my score would go down. So I could potentially be punished for having some fun. Especially when I or another guy/girl messes up. But on the other hand, I agree that some would just quit, when the result will be bad. And then try another time, untill the result is good.
And in real life you only get one chance, which is even harder.
Probably there is no 'perfect' solution.
How about your best race if you do 5 or less, and an average of your best 2 if you do between 6 and 10? I think that's what iRacing does.

For weekly series I think best 5 out of 6 is a better format because then if life gets in the way you can still be in the championship.
One reason for the 5 race limit is that many drivers end up tied with 612 points (6*102) at the end of a series and the determinant for a championship is number of 1sts, 2nds, 3rds... If they could all race unlimited races, the win would go to the driver with the most free time, who could rack up the most wins.

Same problem with counting only 5 of 6 events, then you get even more people tied at 510 points and the one week where they can run as much as they want to rack up wins. That's not a great way to decide championships.

Gotta think these things through.

There's always room for improvement at SRS, but there's lots of stuff that works fine here too. No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
The REAL solution here is simple: Just race as often as you enjoy, and if the 6th race averages all of your non-102 finishes down a bit, give a big ole' shrug because it's just Internet Points. Smile
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Some people will always take the competition past the point of being fun, dragging everyone else in contention down the same path.

If you want to prevent that, eliminate championships altogether. Otherwise it's going to happen and it has to be managed.
(09-25-2020, 04:40 PM)Martin Smith Wrote:  Some people will always take the competition past the point of being fun, dragging everyone else in contention down the same path.

If you want to prevent that, eliminate championships altogether. Otherwise it's going to happen and it has to be managed.

Why be so negative? Smile Every game gets with competition, and competition is fun as long as you respect the rules and the other players. 
I survived lap 1. Now I can deal with anything in life.
It wouldn't be fun if winning championships required running every race in a series to score as many 1sts and 2nds and 3rds as possible. The 5 race limit is what keeps it fun, or at least reasonable.
I hadn't contacted the tiebreaker when I suggested that. Using my system that would need to be changed as well, maybe to average finish position instead. The current system works quite well but I would do things slightly differently. 

Where competition becomes more important than fun is different for everyone. The system just needs to allow for different approaches.