Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A list of rules?
After a couple of months here in SRS, I became more and more convinced that a large number of newcoming players and even some more experienced players are unaware – or at least not aware as they should be – of some of the basic rules for racing on a server in a rewarding and pleasant way and without harming other players with inappropriate racing behaviours. 

(I surely was unaware of a lot of things when I joined SRS, learned something every day, and still learning.)

I guess that a short and concise list of the main racing rules in the section Rules/Instructions would do a great service to newcomers and even to more experienced/skilled players.
It may be structured like this:

1)     Basic racing rules: Meaning of flags, how to safely get out of the pits and stop after a race, how to safely rejoin the track after getting off, how to manage penalties, what is allowed/forbidden in attacking/defending…
2)     (optional) Racetiquette: How to act in case of unintentional harming other players, when/how to communicate with other players, how to share infos…

It would be even better if this list is sent in an automatic email when a player registers on SRS, since not everybody reads the forum.

I guess that this would have two major benefits in reducing the amount of protestable behaviours and encouraging newcomers of being active and aware part of the community, avoiding dishearting and unpleasant punishments and frustrating situations that may induce some in an untimely dropping out.
If SRS would support this, I’d be happy to collect all suggestions from contributing racers and submit them to Admins for implementing. If not, maybe a sticky note in one of the forum sections would do at least a part of the job.
What do you think about it?
I survived lap 1. Now I can deal with anything in life.
Those things are in the welcome message when you join a server.

An additional e-mail after a sucessful registration might help a little as well, yes.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
The message says, for instance, "Respect blue and yellow flags", but in my experience many racers don't know what blue and yellow flags are for, or what exactly means to respect them.

Moreover, the screen appears just one click away from the race you impatiently waited for, I'm not sure that people reads it carefully, and it should be better, I guess, that you don't become aware of a rule just seconds before starting a race.

Furthermore, not every case is contempled in the rules summary. How to behave with penalties, for instance, or how to get out from pits or rejoin the track.

SRS is joined by many people that is new or relatively new to simracing - me included when I registered - and I think it shouldn't be taken for granted that everybody knows all the stuff since the very beginning.
I've been here for nearly 3 years and I don't think the regulation page has been changed once in that time. There have been a number of threads suggesting that the regulations page get some love. The most replied to that I could find with a quick search is this one: https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=6416

That one even mentions that Henrique was contacted about sprucing up the rules and he politely decided not to. He DID fix the MOTD on the servers, however.

So what I'm saying here is, "Good points," as well as,"Don't hold your breath."
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
[quote pid='41695' dateline='1600234196']
That's fun: I even read this thread months ago. Well, history repeats itself, and that's good since most of the job is already done. I'll read that again and try to sum it up and resume it. Could be worthwhile.
[/quote]
The people that don't read the rules, will never see and read the thread about not reading the rules.
(09-16-2020, 05:21 PM)Jay Gabriel Wrote:  The people that don't read the rules, will never see and read the thread about not reading the rules.

Sure, and that's why I suggested an automatic e-mail sent after the registration. But many guys I talked with simply don't know things but learn likely (as I do), and a concise but exhaustive summary of rules would help.
(09-16-2020, 06:36 PM)Gianluca Roncaglia Wrote:  
(09-16-2020, 05:21 PM)Jay Gabriel Wrote:  The people that don't read the rules, will never see and read the thread about not reading the rules.

Sure, and that's why I suggested an automatic e-mail sent after the registration. But many guys I talked with simply don't know things but learn likely (as I do), and a concise but exhaustive summary of rules would help.
This is a pretty good idea. The email on registration with basic rules is something that would help a bit with newcomers.