Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RSS Formula Hybrid 2017
Star 
I think this will is be a very enjoyable series with a high quality mod. The field was a bit spread out today so I will post my setup tomorrow. Would it be helpful if I wrote a post explaining hybrid settings?

How was the first race for everyone?
Thumbs Up 
(08-26-2020, 09:27 PM)Dominic ORourke Wrote:  I think this will is be a very enjoyable series with a high quality mod. The field was a bit spread out today so I will post my setup tomorrow. Would it be helpful if I wrote a post explaining hybrid settings?

How was the first race for everyone?
Yes please Dominic, I'm hoping the more I learn to understand the less reliant I'd be on you kindly posting your set-ups in the forum! Smile

Thanks again for kindly posting and explaining your Estonia 25 setups.

Kev.
I ran out of time to do a proper guide before today's race but here is the basics of the hybrid system.

The bar on the far right of the steering wheel is the amount of energy allowed to be used in that lap. The bar to the left of it is amount of charge in the energy store. You need to balance the amount of energy harvested (amount the batteries are charged) against the amount of energy used. The MGU-K recovers kinetic energy lost under braking and is the main source of charge while the MGU-H recovers energy lost as heat and can also generate charge.

The different MGU-K deployment settings use different amounts of charge and have different benefits. I used the Top Speed mode for Spa because it deploys more power at high speeds, while the Balanced Low setting works better for a lot of other tracks.

The MGU-K harvesting setting changes how much energy is recovered under braking. The higher the setting the more energy is recovered, but the longer the braking distance.

The MGU-H can be set to either charge the energy store or deliver power to the motor.

If possible, the MGU-K recovery and deployment setting should be bound to buttons on the wheel. The KERS button can be used to manually deploy energy which is useful to attack and defend in the race.

For the race it is possible to stay with one setting or manage using more or less charge depending on the situation. For qualifying Charging mode (which uses no electrical power) is good for an outlap or cooldown lap and Hotlap mode is usually best for the flying lap. I turn up the recovery setting for a cooldown lap and turn it down for a hotlap.
Thanks Dominic!

Really looking forward to my first race on wednesday Smile
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Oh my god this car is a relief after those 1991 ASR cars. Such a pleasure to drive!

But is it just me or is does it lose more energy while in battery mode? But at the same time it's also not as quick.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
I've not tested properly with the MGU-H modes. You definitely lose speed but I'm not sure about the battery. 

I think I may have a new favourite track after my practice at Mugello; there are no slow corners and it flows really well. Arrabiata might be my favourite corner anywhere. There are even gravel traps instead of tarmac which I prefer for sim racing. I've never enjoyed Monza so it is great to have a track I really enjoy after it. I think overtaking will be hard though because the one good chance has a very short braking zone.
Holy shit, those cars. Racing them for a whole hour really is exhausting, but so damn rewarding.

I had quite some fun with Simon in the beginning because I started on softer tires, but after our pit stops I was a bit lonely. Would be nice if some more mid fielders would join next week's race :-)
I couldn't believe you were doing one stop on supers Big Grin ... yeah did a mistake at the start with cold tiers and its really hard to follow a car, almost like in real life.. had two small mistakes but I'm glad I didn't hit anything.
Marco's pace was insane and I couldn't also keep up with Dominic ... maybe should have done another strategy
Yeah, just one stop on Super Softs worked better in practice when I wasn't pushing that much Smile
I created a poster-thingy to promote this week's race. Feel free to share it at whatever community you're part of :-)

I posted it to the simracing and AC subs on reddit.

[Image: koLF6AZ.jpg]