Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on penalties
On a Mini race at Donington, in a head to head ending in the last lap, the leader got a penalty in the chicane and had to slow down on the second last hairpin (as people who gets this penalty usually does). 
I didn't notice the cut, was told after the race from the guy, who although lifting off kept the best racing line and cornered on the inside, as close as possible to the curb. I had to slow down accordingly and couldn't pass through. In such cases, he who gets a penalry has to get wider (or closer, if the case) and leave the fastest racing line or it is allowed to keep it? I'm not sure how the exatct rule is.
The question is not intended for a protesting action, the guy immediatly apologised after the race and I'm okay with that, just to know for future possible such cases.
I survived lap 1. Now I can deal with anything in life.
You won't get an official answer about things like this here. My educated guess as somebody who likes to protest a lot is that this would definitely result in a successful protest. But the result should vary from case to case.

If somebody does that in L1 it would probably get them a lengthy suspension. In your particular case it might just be a warning.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Have to say I would protest it.

My feeling is that as much as you want to serve the penalty in a way that minimizes the impact on your race and you can't mess other peoples race up because of your mistake.

Choosing the best place to serve a penalty can save you quite a lot of time but I would say if you have someone close behind, move off the line and serve the penalty.
Thank you both for your replies.

I wasn't looking for an "official" answer but for experienced drivers opinions, since to me simracing is still a day-by-day learning process. Now I know that this may be a protestable behaviour and that's enough for me.

In this case I had prompt excuses - not crocodile tears - and watching the replay I could easily ascribe the manoeuvre to a misevaluation rather than a malicious try to keep an undeserved position, so the guy and me had a quick "gentlemen's agreement" via private messages. In other cases, with less mannered people and/or observing a noticeable effort to harm other drivers, this may have resulted in a protest.
I survived lap 1. Now I can deal with anything in life.
I think I met almost the same problem, the driver in front of me suddenly slowed down on the racing line.
Same place, shicane at Donnington.
Had i not been suspicious because his line looked like a cut through the shicane i would have rearended him full throttle.
So I was able to evade him without a big timeloss.

My question:

I´ve seen in GTsport streams penalties are anounced in the drivers name tag.
Since I was in a bit of a hurry but I couldn´t see an obvious warning that the driver would slow down.

How is this handled in Asseto Corsa/ Sim Racing System?

MFG Carsten
I´d rather drive a slow car fast   Big Grin
I have not seen any official ruling on this. But my feeling is they already have to give up the potential time gained and some, so the advantage is yours already dont believe they should give up racing line also. So long as they defend reasonably not block you.
Thank you Simon.

My question about leaving the racing line was more about avoiding rear ending crashs.
If someone you are battling suddenly slows down on the racing line how should you know?

There are no signs and the car didn´t look ghosted (If this is even a thing in AC??)

MFG Carsten
I´d rather drive a slow car fast   Big Grin
I guess if they suddenly brake in front of you out side of typical braking zone thats a different matter. Best way to serve a slow down is just lift early in a big braking zone.
The penalty system is stupid anyway. And results in this penalty serving mess. I would report Kunos.
As Simon wrote, use braking zones to brake earlier and slower , usualy OK for 5s slowdown penalty, but use mirrors and watch drivers behind not make bad on them , worst penalty solution is stop completely i corner (specialy at Spa last shicane) , you block driver behind and for your penalty he can lose some places , other drivers should not be punished for your error