Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formula 1991
Another option for the race might be two stops with Q tires. Mine were still good after 12 laps just now.

But god damn, my shoulders hurt and I'm tired as hell. I've never practiced that much for a sim race! For the race I'll go with the Brabham. It sounds cool and isn't as sterile as the Ferrari or Williams Smile

(07-12-2020, 08:57 AM)Michal Ringes Wrote:  Well as to the cars being very different, some slow, some heavy, some really fast other agile or powerfull that used to be the case grand prix legends, and in every race we always had all the cars and it was fun, guess would be much less fun if everyone just took the lotus Smile

That comparison was better than you might have intended, because fun fact: when GPL was released in 1998, the 1967 season was 31 years ago. And right now the 1991 season is almost as long ago: 29 years. Nuts.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
12 laps ? wow Smile i am pretty sure mine started to go much earlier, i guess i'am sliding too much, every corner on the edge Smile
in Rfactor in 1991 mod Q tyres was just for 2 timed laps maximaly (as in real 91 F1), on Spa they hardly last 1 timed lap so i did Q session on softest race compound so if someone can do 12 laps on Q tyres then something is wrong
Simon Meisinger Wrote:Another option for the race might be two stops with Q tires. Mine were still good after 12 laps just now.

But I think the point is to loose the least time possible, and with pitting and these pit limit speeds, that's a lot. Nevermind the rules back then and not being able to use Q tyres in race, but these Q tyres don't have a lot more grip for long over the softest race tyre anyway. They start to go off after two timed laps and remember that this is a slow track too which helps tyre life somewhat. You can attempt several more laps if you think you didn't do good enough in that last qualifying run, time running out soon, sure, but with less and less grip. At about laps 8-10 they lose grip dramatically and the rears are in red. Then, you no longer have good traction which you need in all those slow corners. Remember that most of the weight and that powerful drive is at the rear on these cars, the front tires don't take that much beating.
Hm. Would be relieving if I accidentally had the C tires on because I couldn't get under 01:16 Big Grin

But I definitely put 35l of fuel into the car yesterday evening and the tires were only about 80% done when I ran out of fuel. And I was sure I had the Q tires on.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
This will be crazy Smile Just did almost full race simulation, cant feel my hands lol. 1 stop for fuel in middle plus tyre change (soft,soft), tyres were in green all the time but somehow last few laps before pitstop it felt like the rears were almost gone, they were sliding a lot, lot of oversteer in almost every corner. Overall i was pretty slow lol, most laptimes in 17 some a bit under 17. It is kinda pretty difficult to keep concentration all the time with all the sliding and wild behaviour, the car is really not easy to drive fast all the time. So i think this race will be about who is able not to spin or crash Smile
Michal Ringes Wrote:So i think this race will be about who is able not to spin or crash Smile

True that, Michal lol My #1 rule in race is don't loose the car Smile I hate when that happens. It's purely even just driving it more that makes me more comfortable, of course, and running a stable pace of 18s-17s. It's a tough track to start a season and learn the car. There is some funny geometry in those slow hairpins and this car is very sensitive. Made some efforts in stabilizing the car with setup tweaks while trying to go fast. Reducing a bit of front camber and increasing rear camber helps corner entry, drivetrain settings like more preload and balancing it with power/coast settings helps a lot too. Anti roll bar settings as advised in setting default hints, as well as bumpstops... hmmm and it's kind of tough to nail the setup with all the balance changing throughout the run. More fuel - understeer, less fuel - either fine or oversteer...  I just don't want to ever go onto the curbs in those slow corners. This car is a sucker for curbs, as it wants to stay there with the curb, so it turns the other way around.
If this race will be only half as good as we're hyped for it, it will be the most amazing thing ever Big Grin

I'm really wondering how the participation will turn out though. There won't be a second split, that's for sure.
well there is almost 1200 drivers with enough rating, so we will see Smile
OK so far I did a few laps and the car drives quite ok (Williams). However, whatever I change in the setup the car has this corner exit oversteer out of slow corners. You do not even need to be on the gas and snap your car spins out of the hairpins. Any idea what I can try? Or does somebody want to share basic setup?