Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashing headlights in races?
Hi, noob here, recently I've had people behind me either with their lights on or flashing them at me in races and sometimes in qualifying. I understand when people do it when they're on their flying lap to let you know where they are and to get out of the way but in the braking zone of a corner halfway through the race? Seems malicious to me. It's really distracting especially with the virtual mirror. So are there any rules against this or is it just something you have to deal with and not let it bother you?
Thanks
Pretty much the latter. There's no explicit rules as to how you should handle blue flags in SRS regulations, so I don't see rules about headlight use is something we'll see in the near future.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(07-06-2020, 09:55 PM)Robbie Williams Wrote:  Hi, noob here, recently I've had people behind me either with their lights on or flashing them at me in races and sometimes in qualifying. I understand when people do it when they're on their flying lap to let you know where they are and to get out of the way but in the braking zone of a corner halfway through the race? Seems malicious to me. It's really distracting especially with the virtual mirror. So are there any rules against this or is it just something you have to deal with and not let it bother you?
Thanks

Regarding should it be allowed in a race, I'm not too bothered. At the moment I'm mainly driving open wheelers so I don't have that problem as they don't have headlights. Watching any endurance event I have seen many drivers try flashing their lights to distract opponenets so it does happen in real life.

You might be able to adjust your graphic settings so that you don't see your opponenets blinking headlights in your mirror. I'm guessing you have the custom shaders patch installed which means you are also using the Content Manager launcher as well. I don't think the vanilla game had headlights but I can't remember, its been a while since I've played it like that. If so perhaps you could turn off the settings in the mirrors. Something like unticking the box in Settings > Custom Shaders Patch > Lighting FX > Enable Lights in Mirror,   might work for you. Perhaps unticking Settings > Custom Shaders Patch > Smart Mirror > Post-Processing for Virtual Mirrors could work instead. You can always disable the entire Lighting FX and Smart Mirror by unticking the Extension box at the top of their respective pages.  Try running a night race offline where the AI have their lights on as a test to see if it works. If you find what works you could then save a preset for that disables those lights while racing online and another preset that re-enables it for offline driving so that its very easy to switch between the two with one simple click.

An alternative option might be to change your PP filter back to default if its set to something like SOL,  See Settings > Assetto Corsa > Video > Post-Processing > Filter. You can also change the PP Filter in the middle of race with the PP Filter app. I was trying the lego car at the lego track last week for fun (don't judge I grew up on Lego racers) and I couldn't see out of the windshield due as I was blinded by the lights around the track> When I switched the PP filter from SOL to Default, I could suddenly see much more clearly as I think it stopped any of those extra lights.
(07-06-2020, 10:34 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  Pretty much the latter. There's no explicit rules as to how you should handle blue flags in SRS regulations, so I don't see rules about headlight use is something we'll see in the near future.
I understand, cheers for the reply.

(07-06-2020, 10:36 PM)Donnchadh MacGarry Wrote:  
(07-06-2020, 09:55 PM)Robbie Williams Wrote:  Hi, noob here, recently I've had people behind me either with their lights on or flashing them at me in races and sometimes in qualifying. I understand when people do it when they're on their flying lap to let you know where they are and to get out of the way but in the braking zone of a corner halfway through the race? Seems malicious to me. It's really distracting especially with the virtual mirror. So are there any rules against this or is it just something you have to deal with and not let it bother you?
Thanks

Regarding should it be allowed in a race, I'm not too bothered. At the moment I'm mainly driving open wheelers so I don't have that problem as they don't have headlights. Watching any endurance event I have seen many drivers try flashing their lights to distract opponenets so it does happen in real life.

You might be able to adjust your graphic settings so that you don't see your opponenets blinking headlights in your mirror. I'm guessing you have the custom shaders patch installed which means you are also using the Content Manager launcher as well. I don't think the vanilla game had headlights but I can't remember, its been a while since I've played it like that. If so perhaps you could turn off the settings in the mirrors. Something like unticking the box in Settings > Custom Shaders Patch > Lighting FX > Enable Lights in Mirror,   might work for you. Perhaps unticking Settings > Custom Shaders Patch > Smart Mirror > Post-Processing for Virtual Mirrors could work instead. You can always disable the entire Lighting FX and Smart Mirror by unticking the Extension box at the top of their respective pages.  Try running a night race offline where the AI have their lights on as a test to see if it works. If you find what works you could then save a preset for that disables those lights while racing online and another preset that re-enables it for offline driving so that its very easy to switch between the two with one simple click.

An alternative option might be to change your PP filter back to default if its set to something like SOL,  See Settings > Assetto Corsa > Video > Post-Processing > Filter. You can also change the PP Filter in the middle of race with the PP Filter app. I was trying the lego car at the lego track last week for fun (don't judge I grew up on Lego racers) and I couldn't see out of the windshield due as I was blinded by the lights around the track> When I switched the PP filter from SOL to Default, I could suddenly see much more clearly as I think it stopped any of those extra lights.
Thanks, I'll have a look into it. Maybe not disabling bc I'd atleast like to know IF I'm being flashed in case it is for some actual reason and not just distraction, but I'll definitely look into the post processing settings for the virtual mirror and the like, thanks!
There are some very valid reasons someone might flash at the person in front of them:
  • "Hey, I'm a lap ahead of you, please make room at your earliest convenience."
  • "Hey, I have a run on you and you might not have seen me."
  • "Hey, it's quali and you're just coming out of the pits and I'm on a hot lap, so I'd appreciate it if you don't pull out in front of me and ruin that."
and then you'll see this:
  • "HEY YOU JERK WHY DID YOU CUT ME OFF?"
  • "HEY LOOK AT MY LIGHTS DON'T GET DISTRACTED TROLOLOLOL"
With experience you learn to accommodate the first list as best you can and ignore the second list whenever it happens.  Wink
(Two years later and I'm still learning, too!  Rolleyes )
⌈ zerøbandwidth autosports ⌋
https://twitch.tv/zer0bandwidth
https://youtube.com/c/zerobandwidth
(07-07-2020, 01:23 PM)Pasha Paterson Wrote:  There are some very valid reasons someone might flash at the person in front of them:
  • "Hey, I'm a lap ahead of you, please make room at your earliest convenience."
  • "Hey, I have a run on you and you might not have seen me."
  • "Hey, it's quali and you're just coming out of the pits and I'm on a hot lap, so I'd appreciate it if you don't pull out in front of me and ruin that."
and then you'll see this:
  • "HEY YOU JERK WHY DID YOU CUT ME OFF?"
  • "HEY LOOK AT MY LIGHTS DON'T GET DISTRACTED TROLOLOLOL"
With experience you learn to accommodate the first list as best you can and ignore the second list whenever it happens.  Wink
(Two years later and I'm still learning, too!  Rolleyes )
Yeah, I agree that the second list you just have to learn to deal with and the first list is completely acceptable. Just annoys me that some drivers do it purpously to distract you in the braking zone to try to force a mistake. Seems childish to me lol. But yeah, I suppose it's just part of racing!
To add to pashas list, if you happen to be 3 or more cars running very close. if the car behinds you flashes you its most likely cause he feels he is being held up and wants you to make a move on the car in front sooner rather than later, otherwise he will make a move on you.

that said, all of the flashing for whatever reason is part of the game.
its a tool to use and if it makes the guy you are battling annoyed or makes a mistake because of it, most likely had the desired effect.

sometimes its not about how fast you can drive but if you can drive when you feel pressure.
(07-14-2020, 12:35 PM)Fredrik Söderstedt Wrote:  sometimes its not about how fast you can drive but if you can drive when you feel pressure.

Oh man, ain't that the truth...!! Exclamation
On a race when I am about to lapping a car I ALWAYS flash my ligths 2 or 3 times. pretty normal (and good) thing to do. ( Le Mans Vibes ?)
Sometimes in the past I would lap a car and he would discuss a braking zone and defend the position with me. And since that I flash the lights, coincidence or not this is very rare to happen now.

If the car that are fight the position with you is flashing ligths during a race is just to make pressure or distract you.