Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albon vs. Hamilton
This seems to be rather controversial with most people saying it was Hamilon's fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHBgQw5OecA

I think it's a racing incident.

Hamilton gave him room but didn't back out of the situation, which is understandable. Overtaking on the outside always comes at a risk and this time it didn't pay off.
What's your opionion?

(I am definitely not a fand of Hamilton btw., it hurts a little bit to be on his side for once)
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Have to say that I disagre :-)

If you are going in to a corner side by side you have to stay on line and Hamilton drifts wide. Albon has both sets of wheels on the white line and can't realy go any wider when Hamilton hits him, in fact Hamilton keeps going wider untill at about 18s on that clip he's only a foot or two for the line himself.

I think the race directors were right to give him the penalty.
I'm with Tim, I think the incident was Hamilton's fault but I don't think he meant to make contact. He had moved into Albon's lane by the time he hit Albon. I don't think he expected Albon to be able to keep the speed and grip on the outside, so he hadn't slowed the car enough to keep a tighter line and it was too late by the time he would have realised Albon was still there. 

Did it deserve a 5s penalty, I'm not fully sure. The incident sent Albon from a possible 2nd to out of the top ten whereas Hamilton held his position at 2nd and I think that was the major influence on the 5s penalty. If in an alternative world where the field was more spaced out, if the same incident happened again in which both drivers didn't loose a place (So Hamilton stayed 2nd, and Albon returned to the track and could continue on driving in 3rd) then I think it might have been classified as a racing incident with no penalty given.
Okay, now that I looked at it again, he got on the gas when Albon was next to him. He should have known (or maybe knew) how that would end. And even after he slightly bounced back to the inside of the track there wasn't enough room for another car on the outside.

And yes, a 5 second penalty is probably alright given the outcome of the incident.

Phew. You guys saved me from being on Hamilton's side Big Grin
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Guys, you know racing incidents are not to be discussed on the forums! Big Grin
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Should have been 10 s penalty, it was pretty clear this is going to happen long before it happened, you might feel fast and better driver but that is not going to make your oponent disapear, and when you are on the inside all the damage goes to the other guy most of the time when you leave him no room and push him out of the track. It should have been more proportionate to what Albon got out of it, 13 sec and last position as bonus.