Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The case for Monza in Internet Sim Racing
Lots to unpack there, Tim.

The ratings and incident points CAN be ignored because they don't have any real consequences (as you point out, no rating filter on races anymore, and incident averages are merely a run off category in the case of a championship tie). You set yourself little goals to compete with other people from the UK and the like. If that is what keeps you motivated to not drive like an ass and to get better, more power to you. I guess I'm lucky in that I can be motivated to not drive like an ass and get better all while paying no attention to a nebulously undefined Rating Number and a meaningless average of the number of times I get punted on turn 1.

Your analogy to F40s coming out of a hairpin isn't a great one in my opinion. No amount of consideration on the part of a careful and considerate driver is going to get them through Monza turn 1 in an open wheel car cleanly unless all of the stars align (or the server only has 6 people on it and/or you start in the very back). Which is why I created a thread about Monza specifically, and not "hard tracks". Monza isn't hard... just the first turn on the first lap.

I agree that minimum rating races won't stop silly incidents... but not because even professional drivers fuck up standing starts, but because if you are here long enough to not get banned, you'll be rated at 500 in a pretty short amount of time. That number is only a representation of participation, finish positions, and incident accumulation. It does not take consideration into consideration (outside of being banned, preventing the point total from further increasing).

In conclusion, Monza's turn 1 is too much for the average sim racer to handle... and with plenty of other tracks to choose from, maybe we should avoid it for the most part. There's probably other tracks that could be added to the list of "avoid for daily SRS races" but I think considering those on a case by case basis is the correct course. This thread is about Monza, though. Smile
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz

Messages In This Thread
RE: The case for Monza in Internet Sim Racing - by Russell Sobie - 07-02-2020, 01:56 PM