Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The case for Monza in Internet Sim Racing
(07-02-2020, 08:54 AM)Jorge Carrion Wrote:  Mate I was just reading the thread and didnt want to reply but you honestly sound like the most pretentious guy in the world refering to people as "idiots" for crashing in one of the most difficult starts in motorsports.
So in your opinion this guys are idiots:

We had managed to avoid personal insults so far, let's try and keep it civil please.

Calling people idiots is just a shorthand way of saying 'the person at fault' but I thought it was useful to point out that our thinking can sometimes be revealed by our choice of words, and our words influence our thinking. It. It can become a vicious cycle that leads to unnecessary antagonism and recrimination.

As you point out, even the best of the best make mistakes, but you're making the same mistake as Simon by jumping to the worst conclusion about him based on the slightest error.

From what I've heard the iRacing forums are nasty places full of vitriol and we should be thankful we don't have that here. Let's avoid all this useless name calling and appreciate the good and fun aspects of the system.

This us the perfect opportunity to say, I love the positivity and sportsmaship exhibited in the Williams FW31 thread. Probably the most positive thread I have ever read in any forum. Big thumbs up to the guys involved in that series!
(07-02-2020, 03:41 PM)Martin Smith Wrote:  
(07-02-2020, 08:54 AM)Jorge Carrion Wrote:  Mate I was just reading the thread and didnt want to reply but you honestly sound like the most pretentious guy in the world refering to people as "idiots" for crashing in one of the most difficult starts in motorsports.
So in your opinion this guys are idiots:

We had managed to avoid personal insults so far, let's try and keep it civil please.

Calling people idiots is just a shorthand way of saying 'the person at fault' but I thought it was useful to point out that our thinking can sometimes be revealed by our choice of words, and our words influence our thinking. It. It can become a vicious cycle that leads to unnecessary antagonism and recrimination.

As you point out, even the best of the best make mistakes, but you're making the same mistake as Simon by jumping to the worst conclusion about him based on the slightest error.

From what I've heard the iRacing forums are nasty places full of vitriol and we should be thankful we don't have that here. Let's avoid all this useless name calling and appreciate the good and fun aspects of the system.

This us the perfect opportunity to say, I love the positivity and sportsmaship exhibited in the Williams FW31 thread. Probably the most positive thread I have ever read in any forum. Big thumbs up to the guys involved in that series!

I couldn't agree more, nor I intended to criticize Simon - whose specific arguments I understand very well. I just wanted to take into consideration how we choose and use words. Also to myself, since sometimes I got nasty when/after racing.
I survived lap 1. Now I can deal with anything in life.
F1 drivers crashing in L1 aren't necessarily "idiots" (I hate that word by now, wrote it way too often in the last two days), because in racing things can go wrong. I can see why somebody might think I'm an a**hole from reading this thread, I'm not too happy about how I phrased some of the things here.

I actually am never mad at people when they put me out of a race, because accidents happen. If it was a stupid move I protest them and move on.

BUT – I repeat myself – making mistakes before T1 at Monza is (in my opinion) inexcusable in an organized race. Everybody should have learned about Monza on public servers, and yeah call me pretentious when you think it's too much to expect from people who go through the hassle of signing up for SRS that they know the basics of sim racing.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
I thought I'd join having just done some research on YouTube. I've watched clips of the start for the last 10 Italian GPs to see how often there was contact. From what I could tell only 2014 and 2016 saw all the cars through the first corner cleanly and in those a few went across the run off. In 2011 4 cars ended up parked at the first chicane and in 2018 Brendon Hartley was out barely past the end of the pit wall. 

Beyond this Blancpain GT had a massive pile up before the braking zone and with a rolling start in 2017 as did the Ferrari challenge in 2015. There have also been plenty of F1 races at various circuits with a crash before the first corner (Germany 1994 being particularly bad).

I think this shows that Monza is a problem regardless of the type of car, level of drivers, and whether it is virtual or real. I got through last week without incident but I was on pole and got good starts every time. Even with that I was lucky. Personally I'm okay with whatever going forward (although I don't like it as a track to drive), but I don't see how having restarts would help.