Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Increasing racing quality
My 2 pence on the topic:

I do understand, that it can be very frustrating for experienced and fast guys to be in the same race with "newbies" who haven´t yet practiced car and/or track enough yet and therefore can be a "safetyrisk". And to be fair, not long ago I was one of them guys, too. I am fairly new to SR and SRS and the last competition was my first complete season. And I made all the mistakes, a rookie does. I attacked to harsh in gaps where was not enough space at all, I braked too hard and lost control of my vehicle regularly and - because SR is so much fun to me and excites me - I took part in races, without having driven the car before. Like I said, all the mistakes a rookie does, I did them.

BUT: only because of those (sometimes stupid) mistakes, I could improve. The reaction of the guys I had incidents with, made me realize how you should behave on the track and that fair racing and respect for your race-mates are key-values of SRS. By observing quali-laps of the fast guys, I could see their lines and adapt my approach for certain corners, which helped me to improve my pace quite a lot. By racing series randomly without having pracited the car yet, I realized that I have to focus on certain competitions and can´t do them all. And only in racesituations I leanred how a car reacts, when something unforeseeable happens at the track. And I am sure, that I am not the only rookie, who feels this way.
Like I said at the beginning, I am quite aware, that this can be very frustrating for the guys battling for the top places. But on the other hand, letting slow guys drive with you, can be quite motivating for them, in terms of "Ok, if I want to be able to race with them fast boyz, I have to put practice into this stuff!". At least it worked for myself. I managed to mingle up the grid and I am now constantly driving in the lower midfield and I am not a "danger" to the other drivers anymore.

So what I am basicly saying is this: I guess we all want for SRS to be a strong, competitive and - most of all - fun racing plateau. And in my opinion, you only achieve that, by devolping rookies to experienced drivers. And at least for the dailys, it wouldn´t benefit SRS at all, to have any kind of restrictions for people to compete.
However, for the weekly series, I am in favor of the idea of setting up practice servers, where you have to drive a certain amount of laps, to be able to participate in the race. Because this way, you have to put some kind of effort into it and you reduce the risk of races beeing destroyed carelessly.
What would also help, is something like a "rookie-guide". A collection of material for them to watch/read/whatsoever and advise them to take part in series xyz to begin with and explain to them why (e.g. in this series you can learn perfectly how weighttransfer works, ect.).
Julian you beat me to it with a "Beginners Guide" and I think it would address 3 of Dario's points.

It could cover: how seasons work, the idea of sticking to one car to start with, basics of driving, basics of racing/overtaking, race starts, etc.

I am happy to write some of it and if a few experienced drivers wrote a small section each it might not be too much work. Alternatively it could be links to information elsewhere. Perhaps it could be emailed to new drivers when their account is activated?

For car setups I would recommend searching for Chris Haye on YouTube who has a good guide on the principles. My advice would be to break down each corner into entry/mid-corner/exit and feel how the car is in each section.

The guides for F1 last season are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcC9P5K...aPcKezD5g/
Obviously if the moderators agree, we could create a team and maybe highlight this kind of content. I make myself available in creating images and graphics, contributing to the identification of the most suitable structure and whatever else was needed. It would be an excellent idea and would no longer excuse newbies who create problems on the track. Is a Win-Win solution.
www.4funsimracing.com
I´d be willing to contribute to a guide, too! :-)