Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
I'd like to say you thanks. Williams FW31
i changed my ride height during the delayed start which completely ruined my car's balance (just one click less and the front, one click higher in the rear) and had to adjust it back to normal in the pits and lost a lap …

great race apart from the first corner or two though
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Too many mistakes from me this time. I learned that a setup that feels stable in practice might not feel the same if I get excited in a race. A couple of spins under acceleration cost me today. Still could have been a close finish but I made a mistake when we came up to lap someone.

I have to say I am starting to think Marco is a robot! 3 hour long races without any major mistakes is very impressive to me and it was a very well deserved victory.

I am slightly unsure if I should post my setup. It might help people but I feel if people blindly use it they have not learned anything. My wings were the same as Watkins Glen but I adjusted the suspension for the low speed corners at Spielberg.
(06-11-2020, 10:56 AM)Dominic ORourke Wrote:  Another fun race and different strategies at the front made it interesting. I had a couple of spins which cost me the chance to fight but I think I probably would have ended up third anyway. Still getting used to hour long races! My tires were dropping off at the end and I had a gap so I decided to pit and get an easy fastest lap.

Very good drive from Aldo and I thought Marco's recovery after the first lap was phenomenal. Also a shout out to everyone further down because everyone I came up to saw the blue flags and was very courteous.

Here's my lap from qualifying: https://youtu.be/wf3aV9iGw4c
Thank you for the phenomenal! :-)

(06-17-2020, 09:15 PM)Dominic ORourke Wrote:  Too many mistakes from me this time. I learned that a setup that feels stable in practice might not feel the same if I get excited in a race. A couple of spins under acceleration cost me today. Still could have been a close finish but I made a mistake when we came up to lap someone.

I have to say I am starting to think Marco is a robot! 3 hour long races without any major mistakes is very impressive to me and it was a very well deserved victory.

I am slightly unsure if I should post my setup. It might help people but I feel if people blindly use it they have not learned anything. My wings were the same as Watkins Glen but I adjusted the suspension for the low speed corners at Spielberg.

Hi Dominic. This time actually, having seen that you were about 5 tenths of a lap faster than me, I just tried to keep the position. Then, seeing that I could get something more, I pushed in the laps following your stop and I found myself close. Having a low drag setup, I suffered over the lap time, but once in the wake I knew I would have a chance. Without mistakes you would have won, you had an exceptional speed. I knew that the first race had been only a small defaillance, and that you would recover. I ran with 10-5 wings
See you this evening. (in fact I am also surprised that I haven't made any mistakes so far, crazy) Congratulations also to Simon, so far he hasn't even had an accident. It's not just luck ...

Kyalami has a real nice flow that really rewards a systemic approach and not just "broombroom, I brake later than the others", it's kind of like a track full of Maggots and Backets with a Brands Hatch T1 thrown into it every other corner Big Grin

I guess the race pace will be around 01:17, I'm doing 01:20s on mediums myself after an hour of practice but still find a tenth or two every other lap.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Kyalami is definitely fun, lost of fast corners where the F1 car can come alive. The elevation changes make it awkward to have a good balance so I need to work more on my setup. I'd be interested to know other people's lap times. I've done a 1:17.5 after about 25 laps of practice but it feels like there's a lot more in it.

Also worth mentioning the very memorable corner names like "Mineshaft" which make learning a track easier for me.
Great race today. Unfortunately, qualify and start were a bit rougher than expected. Got trapped two times by either a standing car who didn't start or by cars spinning 100m after the start/finish line. After that, I've still seen several spins and silly accidents throughout the first 15 minutes of the race.

Then, finally, some calm race in most of the cases. I was able to get a P6 after some good battle with Filippo - I guess I had the battle by myself, he seemed quite comfortable managing P5.

Looking forward to Spa. Should be awesome.
The first 15 minutes were absolute horror. So many people who clearly shouldn't have joined that race. The rest could have been okay, but I was so pissed because of the first 15 minutes that I made a lot of stupid mistakes.

Glad to hear in the chat after the race that the top 6 had a good race though. Congrats!
Race started well, my setup was very high downforce for the occasion and my strategy was to go on the attack immediately and take off the second. I succeed in this, also because Dominic was destroyed by the usual drivers of the departures ... (were it for me, they would be reported immediately)
I made the first stop and start a fairly quiet race. But the lapped drivers come to move it ...
First, a small group makes me lose 5 seconds in one lap. But in the next lap, Joaquin Elias decides that I have to die (:lol) and then, after cutting the curve, he returns to the track like Ocon vs Verstappen in Brazil, and creates a great damage to my rear wing. The car becomes undriveable, but I decide to grit my teeth. I move the braking all the way forward and try to drive gently. I pick up Simon again, but I can't get him on the track because of my high load setup. So I decide to anticipate the 4-lap stop. It's the right move, I can pass it and finish the race.
I am truly sorry for the incident that occurred to Dominic on start. For me what happened is not tolerable, people have to understand once and for all that we don't run like this. The correctness shown by the two Simon, Dominic and I hope also by myself, is exemplary.
In this regard, I launch the proposal to donate a share of the Gamivo prizes, at the end of the championship, to the most correct driver on our server. Also a symbolic prize of 3 € (one euro less to the first 3 classified). What would you think about it. It would be a way to really incentivize correct driving and reward people like Meisinger, Paratore and very few others.
See you at Spa!
Obviously a difficult race for me but I was able to have some fun still. The last two races I have had a lot more trouble lapping people and I am not sure why. There are some very clean drivers (like Simon Meisinger) but other times I feel like I have to be very careful to avoid a crash. Definitely a reward for clean driving would be great (beyond championship points). Radio Le Mans do a "Spirit of the Race" award for endurance racing which is not about winning, but racing in the correct spirit. It could be awarded for overcoming a problem or for good sportsmanship and I would like to see something like this in sim racing.

For anyone who wants a laugh, here are the first few laps from my side with my first commentary. I turned off driver names to save embarrassment! Kyalami Opening Laps
oh, you guys make me blush Big Grin

Very good video Dominic! Really demonstrates how actual racing works. Quite on par with the "Surviving Rookies" series.

I'm afraid that people who don't bother to practice for a race or to be patient for the first few laps can be motivated by something "lame" as a sportsmanship trophy though …

I'll throw my idea of a "trusted racers" category in the room again (https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=7307) and again my idea for a mandatory practice (~10 valid laps on a practice server) for certain series.

And some good news: one of my protests from yesterday resulted in a permanent ban Smile