Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
I'd like to say you thanks. Williams FW31
I really dont like the robotic style these new f1 require ... Smile too bad no old open wheelers this season.
I'm really excited for these races, I prefer the lighter cars to the latest hybrids. I think the longer distance will make it feel more like a proper F1 race and there should be some strategy options. The default setup seems a bit better than for the Ferrari so hopefully the field will be less spread out and longer qualifying should be slightly less crazy. I do wonder how we sound sometimes as quicker drivers complaining about others. If people are a few seconds off but consistent and obey blue flags that is fine, the problem is what happened in some of the Lotus 98T races. I will share a setup when I am happy with something and I'm happy to offer help if people ask.
I think it's safe to say that you can ignore when the tire app indicates graining/blistering (when the tire wear bar turns red). That happens pretty early with the medium and the hard tires alike, but it doesn't seem to have a big impact on grip and lap times. What do you guys think?

I'm not entirely sure if it's safe to go for two sets of mediums, but I will find out on wednesday.

Here's my setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8daj1l6pex8w06...e.ini?dl=0
I get a 01:33:xxx on medium and a 01:34:xxx on hard tires with it.

It might be worth to try reducing the wings some more.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
I've gone the other way on wing angles. Around a 1:32.xxx on mediums. My first test suggests a pit stop costs around 28 seconds.

Attached Files
.txt   fw31 silverstone base.txt (Size: 1.39 KB / Downloads: 11)
(05-30-2020, 08:21 PM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  The tank is big enough for the whole race distance 
I get very different results. 
just jumped in and did 40 laps in total.
default setup, no adjustment to pressures or anything. Put in 50L fuel, SS front left was almost permanently overheating but keeping at low 32's in first 10 laps then last 3 laps dropped into the 33's. 
My race essentails app said all tyres were on 0 life, car was still going but ran out of fuel - 3.8L per lap. 

Swapped for the Softs, less overheating, high 31's with a best of 31.6 right on the 13th lap (again just testin with 50L fuel)

Put on the mediums, consistent high to mid 31's, more consistent than the Softs due to no overheating. 

After setup tweaking there's probably another second to find, lets say race pace is a 1.32 average, thats 150L needed. Fuel tank holds 130L...
so its definitely a 1 stopper. 
I might experiment with a longer 1st stint on mediums and a short flat out second stint on Softs. 
I was testing with Optimum track, 26 degree weather temperature, weather clear, 12:00 time. 

As for Q pace, i kept default setup, put in 10L to see what car was like, did a 30.4 immediately before running out of fuel 3rd lap around Copse. 
So Q will be in the 29's.

The baseline setup is fine, you should be aiming for mid to low 32's, ideally 31's on Softs, before starting to fiddle with setup. I'm not entirely sure what to do with it myself, might put a few more clicks of wing so i can take Copse flat, might stiffen front springs and stiffen rear ARB. 
At the end I put on max wing front and rear to see what would happen, first lap was a 31.8 on mediums, (again all 50L fuel testing).

fyi - car has KERS so don't forget to use it. I use it on the 2 straights.
well that went well. VR headset decided to just disconnect about 6 laps in or something.
literally parked on track for about 30 seconds.
then find myself in the lead as Marco was 2 stopping, me on 1.
i go full speed for my pitstop and a backmarker decides to treat it like real life and braked well before the pitlane line. Had to take avoiding action, went flying off and damaged both wings.
miss my pitbox and had to reverse.
Afterwards, Car broken at rear from pitlane fiasco, snap oversteer at Copse and i went flying off hitting barrier on inside, this time terminal damage.

so 1 stopper was quicker by a large chunk of time, that'll be the strategy set for all the races. 1 stoppers on mediums.

dont know what the hell to do about my VR, sometimes i can play for hours with no issue and then randomly it'll lose sight.
I was wondering what your problem was Ted, hopefully you get that sorted for next time.

Here is the story of my race: I found it hard to follow closely and had a couple of spins because of it. The first one was a few laps in and put me back to about 11th, then someone spun in front of me and I got wing damage. The second time I hit the wall at Stowe following Simon Speth and got damage again. Just brought it back after that. It was one of the most fun races I have done despite my problems and I look forward to the next one.

Congratulations to Marco and Simon who both drove perfect clean races. I was also pleased to see the gap from front to back was less than last season and there seemed to be good racing throughout the field.
I just have to say thanks Ted for the nice setup. Was about 1.5 secodnds faster than standard. I dont know how you all did such quali laps but I guess you tuned your setups a bit more. For race Ted's setup was a bit too oversteering for me so I made it a bit more safe to drive.

For the race I have to say it was the most demanding and fun races I ever did. I also like the car way better than last seasons 2018 Ferrari which I just could not drive on throttle (guess the engine map with hybrid is a bit the problem there)
I just wanted to stay clean because 6 weeks ago in imola everythig went down at the start because of me ^^. Crazy at some time Ted was parking in front of me and then two guys spinning behind me. The second place feels really good Big Grin

Downside is that we may need clear rules for laped cars because some stay on racing line and some not and I nearly crashed twice while lapping.

But part from that see you next week and lets have one more nice race!
(06-03-2020, 08:53 PM)Simon Speth Wrote:  I just have to say thanks Ted for the nice setup. Was about 1.5 secodnds faster than standard. I dont know how you all did such quali laps but I guess you tuned your setups a bit more. For race Ted's setup was a bit too oversteering for me so I made it a bit more safe to drive.

For the race I have to say it was the most demanding and fun races I ever did. I also like the car way better than last seasons 2018 Ferrari which I just could not drive on throttle (guess the engine map with hybrid is a bit the problem there)
I just wanted to stay clean because 6 weeks ago in imola everythig went down at the start because of me ^^. Crazy at some time Ted was parking in front of me and then two guys spinning behind me. The second place feels really good Big Grin

Downside is that we may need clear rules for laped cars because some stay on racing line and some not and I nearly crashed twice while lapping.

But part from that see you next week and lets have one more nice race!
think you're confusing me with the other Simon lol...i didn't post any setup.  Wink
This was really great fun. Races over such a distance are so rewarding when you're done and everything went okay-ish.

People were behaving quite nicely at the start but they switched into full race mode at Brooklands already, which was way too early. But yeah, that's complaining on a high level. People in general seemed well prepared for this race. Nice.

I had the pace for 5th but didn't keep my nerves when I needed to. I really like how these long races add another layer of needed skills to finish successfully.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020