Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DTM Pit Stops
I have not done my first race with SRS yet, but am really looking forward to an AC DTM race (BMW or Merc). I understand that restrictors, ballast and fuel are not the same between series cars, so I would like some basic idea of what to plan for in a pit stop. Will anyone share approximately how much fuel a BMW and Merc will need? Are tire changes required/advised? I have not even had to pit in AC yet, and would like to try a few dry runs before getting in everyone's way. Again, not looking for anyone's strategy secrets, just answers in general terms is all I need. Any help is appreciated. 
Thanks.
Hi Roger,

I drive the BMW in the euro series. I go through aproxamatly 140L in the race. And tyre change is strongly advised.
(05-21-2020, 09:50 PM)Tim Cullingworth Wrote:  Hi Roger,

I drive the BMW in the euro series.  I go through aproxamatly 140L in the race.  And tyre change is strongly advised.
Thanks, Tim. Again, you don't have to give anything away, but do you generally run soft, medium or hard tires?
Hi Roger

I've been at a few races, even won one at the Asia series due to pit stop strategy.

Important things to consider:

Pit stops with tyre change take 40+ seconds.
For refueling it takes around .2 seconds a liter
Fuel rate is 150% on all tracks but Nordschleife
Tyre rate is 170% always
Also the Merc has 15% restrictor and 5kg ballast. I think the other cars don't have any.

Mercedes 190e Evo II @ Virginia International Raceway
Total 135L

Strategy:
First stint of 20 laps. fuel 85L, medium tyres (stop around 40' into the race)
Second stint 10 laps, fuel 50L, soft tyres

Although I was running heavier than everyone else, most people on the front had Hard tyres, so I could keep up with them. I was afraid they were running on full fuel tanks and would do splash and go pit stops without tyre change, but thankfully that was not the case!

At 30' most people went into the pits. Now I had to watch their times and see if I could keep running those old tyres for 10 more minutes without losing too much time, keeping that gap for a safe pit stop without being overtaken. That is 5 laps. But the guys started catching up and the car was starting to get really undriveable. So I decided to pit one lap earlier than planned.

Then of course I had to fuck up and I overshoot the stop at the pits, had to reverse into the right spot. One guy overtook me during my stop, but in the end I was way faster with the fresh softs while most people had used mediums or hards and I could win.

Here's the video of this race https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLaZHV8kdOY

Hope to see you on the tracks soon!
Different people prefer different tire compounds. I've seen some guys use two sets of softs for the whole race but I can't get them to last more than 8 minutes.

In a case like this give yourself some options. For example start M then if tire deg is high switch to H early. If you make it half way maybe stay on M. If you can go long then maybe switch to S.

In AC you can set up your pit strategy in advance, with 3 presets you can customize. Then during the race just select the one you want before you stop in your pit stall. Use your directional pad or arrow keys to pull up the menu and navigate through your pitstop options at any time.
Thanks for all your help. I ended up racing around the Nordschleife last week and had a blast. However, when I pitted, it seemed like I had plenty of fuel (started at 95l), and Crew Chief confirmed. I ended up on fumes during the last half of the last lap, took it easy on the throttle, coasted down the long straight near the end, allowing my closest competitor to catch me, then I ran out of fuel within meters of the finish line allowing him to get by and beat me by 2 tenths. I ended up in 6th place. I'm not too upset, but a top 5 would have been nice for my first race.

Thanks again!