Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug with the Montreal circuit (Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve)
Hi, not sure if this has been brought up before but after looking around on the forums I couldn’t see it mentioned before. I have noticed a problem with the Montreal circuit (Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve) when racing today (20/05/2020) in the 13:00 (GMT) Tatus race.

I had an incident early on which caused me to fall nearly to the back of the grid. As I was making my way back up the pack, after a few laps I noticed a driver began to start gaining large amounts of time on the last chicane between the two long straights by the Wall of Champions. Each time he was gaining 2-3 seconds at that section. I was not 100% sure as he was a couple of seconds ahead of me, but from what I could see I was convinced he was completely cutting the chicane. After watching the replay, I could see after the first few laps he seemed to accidentally discover this when he overshot the braking and drove straight through, getting no penalty. He then proceeded to cut the chicane multiple laps in a row, again with no penalty. I’m not sure if he coasted or was on full throttle though. In fact by doing this he ended up setting the fastest lap of the race, quicker than the alien drivers, even though he was losing plenty of time in the other corners.

I tried an offline session to test this out. I found that in qualification the game registers this automatically as a corner cut (even if I coasted while driving straight through the chicane) and the lap didn't count. However, once I started an offline race, I could easily drive straight through, easily overtaking multiple AI cars, where I got no slow down penalty.

If I what I am saying is correct, then the track is completely broken for racing as anyone can cut that chicane. If true, then unfortunately by bringing this up it will probably ruin the rest of the races for the Tatus this week, since whoever reads this knows about it now. However I feel it is important to let everyone know so the issue can be addressed, instead of someone clearly gaining a huge unfair advantage on a bug that no one else knows about. If the track isn’t fixed (unlikely as the mod is few years old I think), then I don’t think it should be used in any more series going forward. 

Personally, I feel this exploit kills the fun of the track, as that chicane creates real tension when trying to take it as fast as possible without hitting the Wall of Champions, or when trying to overtake/defend your position. 

I also don’t want this to be a persecution of the driver, which is why I havn’t mentioned their name. I saw him say in the chat after the race that the modded track was stupid, so even he wasn’t happy with this. It is not his fault he found this bug. The problem is with the track and not the driver.

[quote pid='38119' dateline='1589987334']
Unfortunately I can't show a replay of this race, as when I was testing it offline I accidently overwrote the temporary replay of the online race (beacuse I din't save it properly like a dummy). 
[/quote]
SRS uses a few tracks where it is possible to cut and gain time, Donnington for example.

"The problem is with the track and not the driver."

Wrong, the problem is the driver not following the rules. The best thing to do is file a protest against every single person who cuts. They will all get banned and then they will learn not to cut.
(05-20-2020, 03:33 PM)Jason Jones Wrote:  SRS uses a few tracks where it is possible to cut and gain time, Donnington for example. 

"The problem is with the track and not the driver."

Wrong, the problem is the driver not following the rules.  The best thing to do is file a protest against every single person who cuts.  They will all get banned and then they will learn not to cut.

Ah right, I didn't realise that was the case and was a known thing. I thought protesting was only for people causing crashes on purpose and not for huge corner cutting, since most tracks can properly detect that sort of thing and give slowdown penalties (whereas the game has no inbuilt detection and punishment for crashes).

At least this means this track can still be used fairly I suppose.
If I had my druthers, the stupid slow down penalty BS would be removed from the servers entirely, and we would all just protest people that take advantage. I've been in so many wrecks because people lifted (or hard broke) right in the racing line before the start/finish to serve these dumb penalties... and I have MYSELF caused a few incidents trying to do the same (off the racing line if I can).

I know that won't happen because then likely the protest count will likely go through the roof, but a man can dream!

So yeah, exploiting track bounds is protest-able. A number of threads about it have been posted and replied to by administration saying as such.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Yeah that penalty is pretty stupid, you can also get penalised when you avoiding wrecks and get off the track to not hit them, you loose time and as a bonus you get penalty Smile
Totally agree with Donnchadh MacGarry. I lost position in last lap because of this bug or unfair driver. Maybe I lost more, but noticed only at that moment. SRS dont have judges who look after race. So there is chance to cheat. Track is broken.
Have a nice day!
Protest anyone using this to gain advantage.

Also protest anyone serving penalties in stupid places.

I noticed this when I managed to out break myself, but I then slowed down so I didn'g gain anything.

If we don't protest then we have no right to complain.
Yes, AC's penalty system is absolute bullshit and shouldn't be used.

When somebody gets a well deserved penalty, it does more harm than good when they serve their penalty by basically standing still somewhere on track.

Even when you choose a good spot to serve that penalty, there might be two people behind you who are fighting and need every inch of the track. But especially when people choose a really idiotic spot, like the Kamel straight at Spa after the start.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
(05-20-2020, 09:41 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  If I had my druthers, the stupid slow down penalty BS would be removed from the servers entirely, and we would all just protest people that take advantage. I've been in so many wrecks because people lifted (or hard broke) right in the racing line before the start/finish to serve these dumb penalties... and I have MYSELF caused a few incidents trying to do the same (off the racing line if I can).

I know that won't happen because then likely the protest count will likely go through the roof, but a man can dream!

So yeah, exploiting track bounds is protest-able. A number of threads about it have been posted and replied to by administration saying as such.
Disagree with this. 
- i agree that 35kph is stupid and its a shame that limit can't be raised (maybe it can?) - but it does give you the option to lift and coast - doing that for 10 seconds on a straight is better than the alternative, doing a drive-through or something.If people are doing it in a stupid area then raise as a protest. 
- if the penalty rule was removed it would be absolutely impossible to police - i'm not going to spend my time searching through replays trying to find one instance of a rival cutting the track in order so i can raise a protest. It would be a silly amount of work to administer and to be fair. 
- its unfair to criticise the penalty system on a track which is a mod track........it works effectively 95% of the time - if there is an exploit on a mod track then sure, we have that system already as you explained to raise it. The OP could see it was an obvious exploit and can raise a protest - job done. 
- for most of the tracks where the rules work fine...once you know them its easy - don't cut  Smile