Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
90's F1 Cars?
Hey all you cool cats and kittens.
Could we have some of the 1991 F1 cars next season? Like the Mclaren MP4/6, Benetton B191, Williams FW14 etc. etc.
They have that fun balance between having to be precise and also having to be manhandled around the track. 
Preferably structured like the current Lotus 98T which runs on the weekends. 
(also while I'm at it, RSS 3 V6 dailies?)
We had that just one or two seasons ago, so we might be out of luck, but yes, that would be amazing again Smile

And maybe 30-40 minute races.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Being one of my favorite F1 eras, I loved the earlier versions of the mod which had finished FW14 and F643 cars, before SRS ran it last year. That was also a good choice for cars since I think people prefer or only have paddle-shift wheels but not that much manual gearshift. However, I started disliking the mod with later and frequent updates during our season. They made the cars too grippy and too fast. Overall they felt more like modern F1 to me. Just unrealistic with top speeds of 20-30 kmh over what was possible back then but we had to run it. Maybe 340 kmh at Monza is unimpressive in 2019 but was way cooler in 1991 Big Grin Also running higher gears like 3rd or even 4th with lower RPM when you should go in 2nd gear through the corner, prevented wheel spin (and throttle control) and had barely any loss in torque and acceleration. Hopefully they fixed that at least, I haven't checked in couple of months. Maybe 20-30 kmh top speed difference doesn't sound too much. But with not much grip loss, the laptimes were few to several seconds faster than real lap records. And the penalty for driving with really low wing angles and funny ride height was barely existent. These are the main issues for me. Adding more cars later unfortunately made it all even more difficult to balance them all out. It's ambitious and hats off to the devs, but it's very tricky business making all those different cars drive good and then for fair online. It can still be fun just driving them kind of. I'd rather drive an online mod like this with equal performance for all the different cars with their 3D models and sounds. And more aero grip dependency.
Well we were doing 2 sec slower laptimes than they were doing in 1991 in Q with those cars on Monza, the track changed a bit but still not really much difference. Also they were not pushing so hard in real cars especially very late braking and sending it trough the corner(the main difference i think is very late braking), and we dont need to worry about the mechanical part too much, fast shifts and such. I really like the williams but really dont like the last updates with the ferrari, that car feels just horrible, slugish, understeer combined with abrupt oversteer. Also getting many updates during 1 seasson is not a good thing.
Yeah, true that we also don't have to worry about equipment and our safety! But, I don't agree about Monza. It was quite fast for a long time, with the layout staying the same during 80s and 90s until the big changes made over several years. We know the modern track's first chicane is quite slow right-left, while it used to be a combination of two faster S chicanes towards opposite side. And Lesmo 2 corner became quite sharper and slower while it used to be flat out exit to the back straight. Add to that those flat curbs and run offs instead of high curbs the tracks used to have. That was something for comparison for me, kind of. That big top speed while keeping pretty good cornering speeds. So something felt wrong. But here, I was more referring to and was mostly disappointed with last online run I had at Suzuka. That track layout changed very, very little on couple of places over decades, but the qualifying times were up to 8 seconds faster than qualifying times in 1991. Top speeds online were at about 330-340 kmh while in 1991 they were at most ~310ish. And you're right on all that, we were basically running sprint runs with lower fuel level and soft tires. That used to be about 4 seconds difference between full fuel run, start of the race and end of the race. Their Williams car mod after the first update felt very good for me too at the start, especially on steering and throttle inputs, very precise. Sounded way better, too. But the issues remained with the top speed/low grip setups and made it unnatural by the end. But you had to run it if you wanted quicker lap times. The 1991 mod cars are not that aero dependent as they have been back then, and maybe tires are a bit too grippy also, in my opinion. The older F1 mods that felt better to me were VRCs 1991 Jordan and 1988 McLaren MP4/4.
Before the updates the cars were really well balanced. The Ferrari was stable and kind of easy to drive while the Williams was a bit faster when you could get your head around the rather nervous handling.

I really love how you can throw those cars around the corners with a locked differential setting, same thing with the Jordan.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020