Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Any easy-to-drive setups for the Mercedes 190E EVO II (or other cars in the DTM)?
I've been practicing the DTM cars, mostly Mercedes. I lose control pretty much every time I touch the steering wheel, and from then on it's just praying until the corner ends. I somehow managed to go through a Brands Hatch race by learning the braking and turning points, but in Nordschleife that's not possible. And Nordschleife is full of small corners, which means I lose the control a lot. Driving a clean lap in under 10:30 confidently seems pretty much impossible (although when trying to go fast I once managed to do a 9:27 by getting lucky in many corners).

Is there anything I could do in the setup to make the car more stable or easier to drive? I'd be more than willing to sacrifice 30 seconds of laptime.
You got to be specific mate. 
When do you lose control? 
- Corner Exit? Corner Entry? Mid corner? 

- While accelerating? While braking? While coasting?

Here is a superb video series regarding setups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNtXwBigDt8&list=PLWSWQyqnLDu7tLWE9P35Qog6Z8_xb7l_g 

He also provided a simple sheet for quick help: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-wnbyqBTJDySzDYU2VmHLfrU5MMihSUs/view

The most important part about setups is to see where the problem is. Is it because of you or is it because of the car. 

Feel free to ask me more questions regarding that topic. 

For me the Alfa is much more stable than the other two cars, I think you should try it out. 

I recommend moving the brake balance way more to the rear (to around 60%-62%) and moving the rear toe slider a bit to the left (position 4) to get a less nervous rear while braking (for the Alfa). (Normally you would just move the brake balance to the front for this but for me it seems like with the standard 78% front brake balance the rear tyres dont brake at all and "try overtake me" while breaking ... and the fronts still lock first that way)
I don't understand why you'd experience that with the BMW or Merc (I never drove the Alfa). They're pretty conventional to drive.

But my first thought is to check you steering config. It sounds like you may not have 1:1 steering but something closer to go-kart steering ratio. It doesn't sound like a setup problem.

Or maybe it's a FFB setting as that can be customized for each car.
(04-29-2020, 11:02 PM)Nico Schmitz Wrote:  You got to be specific mate. 
When do you lose control? 
- Corner Exit? Corner Entry? Mid corner? 

- While accelerating? While braking? While coasting?

Whenever I turn the steering wheel for a slow or a fast or a mid-speed corner, it feels like the car starts living a life of its own, and throughout the corner and when I try to straighten it after the corner, I often have to spend a few seconds making corrections.

(04-30-2020, 01:52 AM)Martin Smith Wrote:  I don't understand why  you'd experience that with the BMW or Merc (I never drove the Alfa). They're pretty conventional to drive.

But my first thought is to check you steering config. It sounds like you may not have 1:1 steering but something closer to go-kart steering ratio. It doesn't sound like a setup problem.

Or maybe it's a FFB setting as that can be customized for each car.

That's certainly very strange to hear. For me they are completely different than any other car I've driven in AC. The in-game steering wheel rotates exactly as my real-life steering wheel does, if that's what you mean. I don't remember adjusting any FFB settings for the cars and it would be odd if I accidentally managed to destroy the settings for just these cars specifically but no others.
Unless someone else can chime in who understands what's happening, the problem you are describing is indeed very strange. In which case you should be open to looking in strange places for a solution.
Yeah, it could be a FFB thing then.

To demonstrate what kind of a thing I'm talking about, as a stupid example: When I'm driving on a straight and abruptly turn the steering wheel a bit and then get my hands off the wheel, the car and wheel will start wiggling , and the wiggle will gradually increase until the car spins. In a straight that is of course easy to fix just by keeping my hands on the wheel. But when I'm exiting a corner, I get a similar feeling of wiggle which isn't that easy to fix. And when I'm entering a corner, I similarly feel that the car isn't quite in control, although there is less visible wiggling.
If you maintained with 10% 20% throttle on straight and then turn too a corner always maintaining that throttle, it looses easily control too?