Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add a rule against jump start loophole
I just got out of a race where the guy in pole position jumped the start so early that he was able to get far enough ahead that his drive through penalty on lap 2 was soon enough that he STILL came out in front of 2nd place, then went on to win the race. Was he the fastest on the server? Yes. Was he the best racer on the server? Impossible to tell, right? His mistake should have forced him to get by my defense, in my opinion (I ended up in 3rd). Had I been in the same situation I would have taken the drive through and come out behind everyone else as a stupid tax. At the very least behind the podium slots.
I don't want to file a protest against him because it isn't like he drove out of pit lane into people and caused accidents... he was just playing by the rules here and on the server. Mostly I just don't like that a jump start penalty isn't good enough to prevent an uncontested 1st place finish, is all. Smile
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(04-22-2020, 02:51 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  I just got out of a race where the guy in pole position jumped the start so early that he was able to get far enough ahead that his drive through penalty on lap 2 was soon enough that he STILL came out in front of 2nd place, then went on to win the race. Was he the fastest on the server? Yes. Was he the best racer on the server? Impossible to tell, right? His mistake should have forced him to get by my defense, in my opinion (I ended up in 3rd). Had I been in the same situation I would have taken the drive through and come out behind everyone else as a stupid tax. At the very least behind the podium slots.
I don't want to file a protest against him because it isn't like he drove out of pit lane into people and caused accidents... he was just playing by the rules here and on the server. Mostly I just don't like that a jump start penalty isn't good enough to prevent an uncontested 1st place finish, is all. Smile

Hi Russell, I chime in because I was watching the yt live stream of the race. I think that what happened in this race is a corner case, infact during the second lap, when the jump-start driver still had to serve the penalty, 2 cars in the first positions had a crash and this made the little group of followers lose quite some seconds. When the driver in p1 left the pits after clearing the penalty, he found himself 0.7 seconds ahead of the car in p2. I'm pretty sure that without the wreck between the other cars, he would have left the pits in a position between 3 and 5.
I don't think it's possible to get rid of such "exploits" by adding a rule as you cannot tell if a jumpstart is accidental or deliberate.

You pretty much left to the protesting system i'm afraid.
If a jump start and drive through can be exploited, the server can be set to teleport to pits as the penalty for jump starts. There's no exploiting that.

But I've never seen it being an issue.
(04-22-2020, 05:11 AM)Roberto Olivetti Wrote:  Hi Russell, I chime in because I was watching the yt live stream of the race. I think that what happened in this race is a corner case, infact during the second lap, when the jump-start driver still had to serve the penalty, 2 cars in the first positions had a crash and this made the little group of followers lose quite some seconds. When the driver in p1 left the pits after clearing the penalty, he found himself 0.7 seconds ahead of the car in p2. I'm pretty sure that without the wreck between the other cars, he would have left the pits in a position between 3 and 5.

Ah... I didn't even remember that wreck. You are correct... the likelyhood of this happening is super slim. It also explains how I got 3rd! Big Grin

(04-22-2020, 12:53 PM)Gergely Mazak Wrote:  I don't think it's possible to get rid of such "exploits" by adding a rule as you cannot tell if a jumpstart is accidental or deliberate.

You pretty much left to the protesting system i'm afraid.

There's a lot of rules I'd love to be explicitly added to the regulation page so that what is allowed and not allowed is very clear so that people can know when to protest and when to suck it up... but I think that is just a philosophical difference between me and administration. I think that anything that the server/game allows that is protest-able behavior (like exploiting track boundaries on a number of official tracks) should be listed in the rules so there's no confusion. This would be one of those things... but as Roberto points out above, I don't know how feasible it would be for someone in pole to intentionally jump start, serve the penalty, and be able to come out in front without shenanigans happening in the first place. Probably not worth bothering with. Smile
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz