Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconcider some restrictions on Protest footage requiremements
You know me, I'm an advocate for filing protests early and often. There have been a number of posts complaining about the overall bad driving in some races this season, and the response from many of us has been "Shut up and use the protest form." Agree! However, the recent restrictions (well... fairly recent?) of requiring both cockpit footage and TV Camera, as well as not relying on Apps to display driver names, are a bit too restrictive. In some cases it makes it impossible to record useful footage that stewards can fairly consider. If we want more protests filed, it should be made easy to create the video without spending up to (or more than) an hour to find footage that tells the whole story of a protest-able incident.
  1. Typical TV Camera views on most tracks don't capture the whole story (or in some cases, capture none of the story).
  2. TV Camera views sometimes aren't close enough for driver names to be visible over the car.
  3. While tracking a particular driver, that driver's name is NEVER visible over the car (because Kunos?), requiring you to track a nearby driver and hope the offending driver is caught doing whatever it is they are getting protested for. They are usually out of frame in my experience.
  4. When viewing through the cockpit of the offender, there is no way to see the name of the driver (probably for the same reason as point #3). Only cockpit views of drivers behind the offending driver would be useful here, and that isn't always where the incident comes from.
  5. Apps that display driver names are out there and are reliable, making capturing poor behavior trivial. One of them shows it EXTREMELY well: Bcast >> DOWNLOAD <<
  6. Stewards watching videos would likely get a better view of the incident(s) if it was just a chase cam view with an app showing the driver name of the tracked driver. Less time watching videos!
In conclusion, allowing apps (perhaps only one or two officially sanctioned apps?) to show driver names and then only requiring cockpit and/or chase cam views of incidents would greatly speed up the recording process for protest videos, as well as passing judgement on them. Please reconsider the restrictions on protest video requirements. Thanks!
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
It won't be reconsidered.
They were changed for good reasons.

Selecting the incident on the replay, checking the best TV cam to show it, start recording, show the incident, go backwards change the camera and include cockpit view. if for some reason, the name wasn't visble, go backwards put whatever camera shows the names, stop recording.

It doesn't take an hour.
I don't think that you're allowed to use ONLY TV and cockpit. I barely use TV cam, only when it can clearly show what's happening. Usually I show either my or other's cockpit, and outside orbit cam, or whatever it's called the thing with F5, following both cars, so you can see names. Then I usually replay it few different times from different angles, but still with F5. There's really no need for anything else, IMO. All my protests were valid from technical PoV, nobody complained about cameras. And I even record them at fairly low bitrate to save on file size and upload time.

Now I can get them out in less than 15 minutes Of course, driving in Lotus series helps a lot with getting the practice needed for that Big Grin
Requiring both cockpit footage and TV Camera is not that restrictive, because you can add more views/clips if you think it's necessary. I always add more views, whatever is needed to make my point. I add captions to explain. I feel I should act as a prosecutor: it is my job to present the evidence in a compelling and exhaustive way.

Examples (all 4 were successful, from warning to 2 weeks - if you wanted to see them, PM me and I send you links)
Most recent (Incidentally, 2 protests in the same race, related incidents: guy spun in inc 1 (so victim) re-joined unsafely and became offender in inc 2):

inc1 1:
1. offenders chase view
2. chase view from the guy behind offender (to show the name)
3.  offender's cockpit
4.  TV

inc2 2
1. my cockpit view (I  was the victim) showing the offender's name
2. my (victim's) chase view also showing his name
3.  TV view
4. another TV view
5. offender's cockpit view

Before that, I had
1. my chase view (showing offender's name)
2. TV view
3. offender's cockpit view
4.  my cockpit view
5. similar behavior of the offender earlier in the race, not leading to a crash and not against me, but to show that it was a recurring behavior

Before that, I made a protest for a  SRS PC2 race.  Even though PC2 is somewhat better with showing names (e.g., in cockpit view it shows who's car are we watching)  I still made a protest video consisting of 7 clips to make my point.

1. trackside (similar to AC's TV) view on the offender
2. my cockpit view
3. my chase view
4.  my bonnet view
5. offender's chase view, to show the incident was NOT precipitated by another car hitting him
6. same with game overlays hidden for better view
7.  bumper view from that other car to show again that they did not hit the offender
Everything you said Pawel is likely the reason they added all the restrictions. They don't want to read subtitles and 15 angles of an incident. My assumption is that they want it to be quick and easy to parse.

I'll try admin's advice to just find the best TV camera that shows stuff, and then include a couple of cockpit views and hope for the best. It'll still take longer than it should.

By the way, the hour that it takes me includes finding the incident, taking clips from what I HOPE is valid angles, putting them together in Disolve, rendering it out, and uploading it to youtube. It's about an hour. Could be way less than that if it was just one cockpit view with their name plastered on the screen. If the "good reason" to remove app names was that someone actually bothered photoshopping that to get someone in trouble, well I guess that's just hilarious to me. Big Grin

Somehow I did not understand from your (simracingadmin) suggestion above that you would prefer a single recording of people fumbling around with Assetto Corsa's replay interface, rather than cutting together individual clips. Makes for a slightly longer video, but the lack of need of taking the clips into an editor is going to shave a ton of time off the actual creation process.

Luckily, these videos are unlisted... I would never put up something so ugly on my channel otherwise! Big Grin
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
True, it takes some time. I just think what would I need to see if I didn't participate and haven't seen the incident myself. Short clips of a good TV cam (if available at the spot), cockpit view, chase cam and even F7 free cam is almost perfect from above... it all works anyway. I would also advise analyzing and showing driver arms on the steering wheel and also pedal input app while in other driver's cockpit, since it can show at least partially all his actions/reactions (which caused mistakes, unintentional or intentional incident).
(04-04-2020, 10:08 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  Everything you said Pawel is likely the reason they added all the restriction
I think that these protests were made after the restrictions were added (for sure the most recent ones) and no one rejected them because they were "too long" or whatever. Maybe I was careful to make all of these multiple angles to the point.
For what it's worth I recently submitted my first protest and I didn't read the requirements properly, so the video I submitted was just my chase cam showing the incident with the offenders name visible. I read the requirements properly afterwards and figured it would just get rejected but it ended up coming back successful. I'm not suggesting people ignore the requirements but it seems there is a bit of common sense applied.
While not surprising, I'm a firm believer in the rules being clear, concise, and transparent to those following said rules. They should probably reject videos that don't follow such explicit instructions... otherwise I'd have not posted this thread in the first place. Smile
While I am all for clear and concise rules in general, I think it is hard to select only 2 or 3 views that will demonstrate what exactly happened in any possible incident. Also keep in mind that the rules should be transferable between games, and there are significant differences. Like "While tracking a particular driver, that driver's name is NEVER visible over the car (because Kunos?)," is not true for PC2, you can have the name of the tracked driver at the top of the screen. You can have bumper cam which I think is not there in AC. On the other hand, AC has usually 3 "TV" cams so it's easy to chose one that would show the incident more clearly. PC2 has only one Trackside view which sometimes missed the key moment.
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians