Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Variable Incident Penalties (i.e. "rubbing is racing")
(02-16-2020, 04:27 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  
(02-15-2020, 09:21 PM)Sergio Mendez Wrote:  Damage 100% could be a way. If you know a small hit can damage your car, you must be more careful. I’ve took part in some raceroom’s events  and drivers were very careful and smooth.

I think this has been proven to be the opposite of helpful to people who are actually trying to be careful who want to continue racing. Drivers who are careless will continue to be careless regardless of the damage percentage. People who dive bomb or similar aren't dive bombing because they think they'll be fine due to damage being set at 60%, it's because they are bad drivers.

60% at least means that incidents don't ruin the entire 40-90 minutes for anyone involved.

Yes, but also because they know they are driving tanks. If they don't care about the points, they know they will still be running after the explosion they will cause.

The other paid system we all know has 100% damage and even in rookies when i was there, the races were clean, but the increase damage brought the pit stop to repair variable.

The races were a bit more live and unpredictable and not so much a race of tanks.

In SRS i've seen people hitting walls and carrying on like nothing happened.
Bad drivers typically don't keep going after they wreck themselves out. They either quit the server immediately, or, thinking they were the wronged party in some collision, make the rest of the race a pain for other drivers.

I'd much rather the damage setting balance out the fact that collision results in AC are bonkers most of the time, than it be some sort of deterrent of poor behavior (which, as I'll continue to argue, is not a deterrent).
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(02-17-2020, 01:39 PM)Tolo Ribas Wrote:  Hi everyone
I tell you my opinion with an example:
I am currently running in the Ginetta series and this past week the following has happened to me ........ every time I try to train to have a fast enough lap and a good race pace and try to qualify, I get a grill position on the thirteenth place + - ...well then start the race and if it is not the first corner is the second  anyone in a hurry and impatiend sends me out of the track without trying to ody advance cleanly or respecting anything ...... that makes me every time I receive a penalty that I do not deserve and on top I lose positions and the result is to be delayed in the race and add few points in it.
Well, I have changed tactics:Now I don't participate in the qualification session ,I start the race in last position and I do not enter the initial battle and I am advancing adversaries who are making mistakes .......I finish the race in a higher position than before or equal but with more points,  and less angry ....... but ......... and how funny is that ????
Something would have to change  in the system of penalties  to be more fair ......... I already know that this is a free server and that all too well is that we can run races every day and at all hours but if I have decided to run in this way and I think I am not the only one, something is wrong ...
I did that a year ago when the fixed setup Tatuus daily series went to Monza. A regular crashfest as you can imagine.

I used those races to expose myself to some of the worst racing on SRS so I could learn how to identify the worst risks, figure out my options for mitigating those risks, and getting a better feel of the value of fighting (or not) for a position.

In most cases I'd start from the back and finish in the top 10 without ever racing anyone. You can use your Ginetta experience as a learning opportunity too. But it's not much fun and sometimes you still get crashed into. Risk is risk.

In normal races, if someone is driving recklessly near you, they're going to do the same with others. So let them go so they can crash someone else out, and just be in a position to take advantage of it. And if you do get a close and respectful battle, make sure to appreciate it, give enough room, and be ready to concede the position if the risk is too high.

But for high risk races like these, just avoid pretty much everyone as much as possible.
(02-17-2020, 01:39 PM)Tolo Ribas Wrote:  Hi everyone
I tell you my opinion with an example:
I am currently running in the Ginetta series and this past week the following has happened to me ........ every time I try to train to have a fast enough lap and a good race pace and try to qualify, I get a grill position on the thirteenth place + - ...well then start the race and if it is not the first corner is the second anyone in a hurry and impatiend sends me out of the track without trying to ody advance cleanly or respecting anything ...... that makes me every time I receive a penalty that I do not deserve and on top I lose positions and the result is to be delayed in the race and add few points in it.
Well, I have changed tactics:Now I don't participate in the qualification session ,I start the race in last position and I do not enter the initial battle and I am advancing adversaries who are making mistakes .......I finish the race in a higher position than before or equal but with more points, and less angry ....... but ......... and how funny is that ????
Something would have to change in the system of penalties to be more fair ......... I already know that this is a free server and that all too well is that we can run races every day and at all hours but if I have decided to run in this way and I think I am not the only one, something is wrong ...

I do exactly the same in all my races.

As a mid field qualifier it was just madness in the first couple of corners / first lap.

I now often finish in the to 10 and then gain a couple more places in the points when incidents are accounted for.

The thing to remember is that if you're likely to be finishing in the mid field then an incident can be worth 3 positions.
I still think this has proven to be a big deterrent to many drivers who are prone to clean racing and not many mistakes. We get many new underskilled drivers easily, but loose several good drivers also easily. On the other hand, it could work over a longer period of time. When was this introduced exactly? I've only been here just less than a year. I've had unfortunate or deliberate contacts against me as many of us did, which penalized me in the championship without any of my fault. Spins into the wall but with a good finish, and still taking toll on the championship. I've also had races where I've been involved in good real "rubbing racing", without any damage to anyone luckily and therefore without incident points. So it's still possible. I guess that's why damage is toned town to 60%. I also wish there was a way to further rank drivers on to the server 1, like with number of incidents on average limit. I don't care if I run on servers 2 or 3 for the rest of my life. But, talking about negative effects on the championship, the system is brutal and nothing like real life racing as we all know. The system is there to make you always have control of your car, and also to balance out dedicated simracers against casual runners and to clean out SRS from wreckers. Without human element and judges, there has to be something like this at least. It's all free, running some of the best sims around. Unfortunately, on the downside, it also discourages dedicated people even early on or mid season. There's a small number of regular drivers in every series, on average maybe 15 last couple of seasons I looked. But I guess that changes over time, people come and go.