Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assetto Corsa optimization
Hi all,

I want to share my experience playing in Assetto Corsa so it can be useful for anyone here.
I joined SRS two weeks ago. I had never compited against other human drivers in the past.So, I was really excited when I joined SRS and could join my first race in AC.
But all this enthusiasm became on frustration when I saw I wasn't able to drive so fast as the best drivers. I knew before starting in sim racing that I wasn't going
to be an allien, nor an excellent driver, but I thought I could compete with the average drivers (still thinking the same way by now).

My surprise was when I realized that I was always 6-7 seconds/lap behind the best drivers and 3-4 seconds/lap behind the average drivers,even when I practiced
with the car and track. My practice times were the same as my race times.
But when I was racing, the other cars seemed to go faster than mine, and the other drivers were able to drive faster than me in any curb.While I was driving, the other cars seemed to advance lots of meters disappearing and appearing again ahead of me.In some races I lost up to 4 laps with the 90% of the drivers. It was
really annoying and frustrating.

After few races, I decided to watch the youtube replay of a race, and I was surprised because my car seemed not to follow the physics laws on those replays. It had an unusual understeering-straight movement. One day I noticed there was a chat line in the race lobby, and I read people writing I was lagging so much or that I was warping.

So I thought that maybe the issue was on my laptop. I'm using a low resources laptop (Windows 10, i5-5200 with 2.2GHz, 4 Gb RAM and Intel-5500 graphics card), but it has the minimum required to run AC.
So I started looking for a way to optimize AC, and found a Youtube video talking about a program to reduce lag, and boost & improve performance of AC,
adapting it to work the best way depending on your hardware.

This morning I have downloaded that program and did what the Youtube video told, and magicly I started to reduce my time laps enormously, in practice and in races. For instance, in GT86 at Silverstone, my best time was 1:25:9 when I practiced, but my average time was 1:26-1:27. After the performance, my best time
(in only one morning !!!!) has been 1:23:6 in practice, and my average time is 1:24-1:25 in race.
Now I'm 2-3 seconds behind the best drivers, but I can compete with the average drivers, as I thought when I started with SRS.

In all the races I started since today, I was always the last driver with the worst time/lap by far. Today I qualified in 11th place.
The cars doesn't disappear and reappear ahead of me, and my car seems to be as faster as the rest (not the same with my hands, of course).
I have seen the Youtube replay of the race, and my car has the same behaviour as the rest, finally.

I don't know what this program has done to my AC, but I'm really excited again to sim racing.
So, if there is someone that could not reach the best times or the average drivers times/lap, it can be due to the lag of performance and optimization of AC in your hardware.

Only one bad issue related : since this morning my average incident/race was 1,8 (I was driving mostly of the time alone because I couldn't
stand the times of the other cars). In this morning race I had 7 incidents (I was driving mostly with traffic and having battles with other drivers).
So I want to apologize for those 7 incidents and the drivers that could have been affected, and also apologize to all the drivers that could have
been affected by my lag and low hardware performance problems in the past.
I'll try to be more careful in the next races, because I always prefer to be clean than faster. The rest will come with practicing time.

See you in the races.
If your computer's performance is poor enough to cause you to jump around on the server, you should probably upgrade before registering for other multiplayer races. "Minimum requirements" for most games does not take into account the ability for the computer to also handle stable Internet connectivity while trying to maintain framerate in game, so likely you are a giant, unpredictable road hazard in these cases.

And even if this magical performance enhancing program you installed gets AC to stop the connection warping you were experiencing, the midpack is always where the most incidents occur. As you said: it'll take practice. Good luck!
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(01-04-2020, 05:55 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  If your computer's performance is poor enough to cause you to jump around on the server, you should probably upgrade before registering for other multiplayer races. "Minimum requirements" for most games does not take into account the ability for the computer to also handle stable Internet connectivity while trying to maintain framerate in game, so likely you are a giant, unpredictable road hazard in these cases.

And even if this magical performance enhancing program you installed gets AC to stop the connection warping you were experiencing, the midpack is always where the most incidents occur. As you said: it'll take practice. Good luck!

Thanks for your comment, Russell.
Fortunately, I have started 3 races after doing the performance improvement, and I hadn't any problem of lagging or jumping around, and my car is having a good behaviour. I've also improved my best lap in 0.6 seconds more in one day, and qualified in middle places.
I know that performance improvement is not magical literally, because the graphics quality has been reduced and I suppose other "secondary" parameters has decreased (by saying secondary I mean parameters not absolutely necessaries to drive and race, but that can improve the experience if the hardware can handle all them).
What made me excite was the fact of improving my hardware performance with only one click, and not have to try and discover the better settings of AC related to my hardware (because I'm not an expert and that could take me a lot of time).
Of course, the best decision would be improving my hardware, but it's not economically easy to do by now for me.

As you said, and I'm realizing now, is that in the midpack is always where the most incidents occur. I had 6 and 9 incidents in the last races :-(
I need to work and practice for reducing those numbers. But I'm sure that those incidents are not due to a bad performance of my hardware, but a lack of experience in racing by my side. Before now, I always drived against IA that have, normally, a predictible behaviour. Sooooo different to drive against other people that sometimes are unpredictible (just like me !!!!).

See you in races
(01-03-2020, 07:17 PM)Joan P Garrido Wrote:  Hi all,

I want to share my experience playing in Assetto Corsa so it can be useful for anyone here.
I joined SRS two weeks ago. I had never compited against other human drivers in the past.So, I was really excited when I joined SRS and could join my first race in AC.
But all this enthusiasm became on frustration when I saw I wasn't able to drive so fast as the best drivers. I knew before starting in sim racing that I wasn't going
to be an allien, nor an excellent driver, but I thought I could compete with the average drivers (still thinking the same way by now).

My surprise was when I realized that I was always 6-7 seconds/lap behind the best drivers and 3-4 seconds/lap behind the average drivers,even when I practiced
with the car and track. My practice times were the same as my race times.
But when I was racing, the other cars seemed to go faster than mine, and the other drivers were able to drive faster than me in any curb.While I was driving, the other cars seemed to advance lots of meters disappearing and appearing again ahead of me.In some races I lost up to 4 laps with the 90% of the drivers. It was
really annoying and frustrating.

After few races, I decided to watch the youtube replay of a race, and I was surprised because my car seemed not to follow the physics laws on those replays. It had an unusual understeering-straight movement. One day I noticed there was a chat line in the race lobby, and I read people writing I was lagging so much or that I was warping.

So I thought that maybe the issue was on my laptop. I'm using a low resources laptop (Windows 10, i5-5200 with 2.2GHz, 4 Gb RAM and Intel-5500 graphics card), but it has the minimum required to run AC.
So I started looking for a way to optimize AC, and found a Youtube video talking about a program to reduce lag, and boost & improve performance of AC,
adapting it to work the best way depending on your hardware.

This morning I have downloaded that program and did what the Youtube video told, and magicly I started to reduce my time laps enormously, in practice and in races. For instance, in GT86 at Silverstone, my best time was 1:25:9 when I practiced, but my average time was 1:26-1:27. After the performance, my best time
(in only one morning !!!!) has been 1:23:6 in practice, and my average time is 1:24-1:25 in race.
Now I'm 2-3 seconds behind the best drivers, but I can compete with the average drivers, as I thought when I started with SRS.

In all the races I started since today, I was always the last driver with the worst time/lap by far. Today I qualified in 11th place.
The cars doesn't disappear and reappear ahead of me, and my car seems to be as faster as the rest (not the same with my hands, of course).
I have seen the Youtube replay of the race, and my car has the same behaviour as the rest, finally.

I don't know what this program has done to my AC, but I'm really excited again to sim racing.
So, if there is someone that could not reach the best times or the average drivers times/lap, it can be due to the lag of performance and optimization of AC in your hardware.

Only one bad issue related : since this morning my average incident/race was 1,8 (I was driving mostly of the time alone because I couldn't
stand the times of the other cars). In this morning race I had 7 incidents (I was driving mostly with traffic and having battles with other drivers).
So I want to apologize for those 7 incidents and the drivers that could have been affected, and also apologize to all the drivers that could have
been affected by my lag and low hardware performance problems in the past.
I'll try to be more careful in the next races, because I always prefer to be clean than faster. The rest will come with practicing time.

See you in the races.
The same thing happens to me, what is the name of the program ??
Hi Cleyton,
the name is Low Specs Experience - Ragnotechpowered