Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's an acceptable average incident number?
(11-11-2019, 04:49 PM)Bryan Happel Wrote:  id say 2 or less is good.
if you do the hour race thats like 3- 20 minute races. even worse in the 2.4hr race.
i'd like to see the incident average be per 20 minute. instead of by race.
    thanks again srs. i've had alot of fun here.

I agree under 2 ,
and over 3 is too high for drivers with a lot of races and i take extra care not to meeet someones with so high numbers on track because is big chance to colect some incidents
(11-11-2019, 03:36 AM)Jason Schofield Wrote:  Remember that incidents take away from your total score for the race.. so you may battle and crash into somebody to get one more position but it's all negated by INCS.  You lose 3pts for every INCS.. So you may dive bomb and plow into a few other cars trying to take P10 but then you lost 15pts off your total. Better to stay clean and get your points.. especially when you're new to SRS and trying to get your rating up so you can be in the top splits for popular races. Just my 2 cents.

Oh definitely agree with that. Being overconfident and aggressive when you aren't a very good racer is a recipe for disaster and a poor race for everyone involved.

(11-10-2019, 02:02 PM)Andrea Papasodaro Wrote:  To me, it's not important how many accidents but the reason behind it: if it's just a bump it's ok, but it happened that people made pit maneuvers or rejoin track without watching.
Unfortunately, independently by the accident, it always subtracts 3 points per incident from the leaderboard and this can be frustrating when the accident is a little bump.

Very good point. I was thinking about this for quite a bit. While I do agree that we shouldn't penalize unintentional accidents less, I do think that we should penalize griefers more. In the end the result would be the same both ways, but it just honestly is unfair that if I slightly bump into someone when racing door-to-door with all respect, I get penalized the same way a person who crashes intentionally or doesn't respect other drivers does. 

But it's probably close to impossible to differentiate for the system, if it accounted for the delta speed between the cars, it would result in: 
1) The victim getting penalized heftily for something they aren't responsible for
2) The griefers learning to do PIT maneuvers where the delta speed could be non-existent

There surely is a way to do it better (iRacing has it really good), but honestly at that point it's just complaining about minor details in software that's incredibly rich and powerful considering it's completely free and provides us with generally high-quality racing.

(11-10-2019, 09:26 PM)Jason Whetton Wrote:  Do the servers take into consideration the inc rating of a driver, i thought it was just based on number booked and rating?

If I understand right, it doesn't need to consider the avg. inc rating, because that's already accounted for in the rating. Sure, that could be abused by someone crashing their way to pole, resulting in high points even through being a griefer, but at that point the person would most likely get manually banned.
To finish first, first you have to finish
AC, i5-6400, RX580, G27, single 24" monitor (relying on CrewChief and Helicorsa), hopefully VR in the future.
Yeah, actual griefer/wreckers don't last more than a couple of races here due to the protest form process.

Given that you get these dings through no fault of your own at least some percentage of the time, the Incident Average is really no more than an arbitrary number. I've had 10 races in a row I had zero incidents without being any more or less careful than in an entire 6 week series where my average was closer to 5.0 just due to the type of car, track familiarity among the entire grid, and the fact that there were more drivers right around my skill level insofar as lap time (i.e. if you are the same speed as 10 other people on the grid, you are GOING to have more opportunities to touch them during a race).

So what is an acceptable average incident number? I'd say it's any number next to your name so long as your account isn't banned. Race with a clean mindset and that's about all you can really do.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(11-11-2019, 09:12 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  Yeah, actual griefer/wreckers don't last more than a couple of races here due to the protest form process.

Given that you get these dings through no fault of your own at least some percentage of the time, the Incident Average is really no more than an arbitrary number. I've had 10 races in a row I had zero incidents without being any more or less careful than in an entire 6 week series where my average was closer to 5.0 just due to the type of car, track familiarity among the entire grid, and the fact that there were more drivers right around my skill level insofar as lap time (i.e. if you are the same speed as 10 other people on the grid, you are GOING to have more opportunities to touch them during a race).

So what is an acceptable average incident number? I'd say it's any number next to your name so long as your account isn't banned. Race with a clean mindset and that's about all you can really do.

Amen. I think that saying stuff like "I'll be hesitant to race with someone who has more than 3 avg inc per race" is a bit irrational for the reasons you and I mentioned.
To finish first, first you have to finish
AC, i5-6400, RX580, G27, single 24" monitor (relying on CrewChief and Helicorsa), hopefully VR in the future.
Since you really just started, trust me, acceptable is only 0 incident points, forever Smile Later on as the number of races you run pile up, it will be very difficult to bring down that incident number by your name. If you care for your rating. 

No one decides on what shouldn't be counted as an incident once it happens. There are no admins in or after the race to judge on every possible incident since it's not possible with this big number of races being ran 24/7. The system is automatic and therefore ruthless. Unless you properly file a protest for someone's shitty behavior on track. Then, it will be looked at by the admins and possibly penalize the offender. But nothing takes away those incident points you got. Also, hitting walls, cones and other objects gives you incident points, even smashing cars when the race is finished. Park it safely after the race and exit to pits. And if you run for a championship, you don't want your points deducted. I hope you are using Helicorsa or Car Radar to help with perception on the cars close around.

As by the rules, any race where you get 20 incident points or more, you're suspended for a week. If in a moment you feel like you're not up to the task of finishing safely below that anymore, take it easy, let people by or simply park it and finish the race.

You can do your best, but there's still others that might be a bit over the edge. It'll take some time, but you'll have some quality races in here, both by you with practice, and from your opponents.
today totaly bad races in one of them i get 9 incidents most of them by one racer with IncAvg bigger than 3 and surely all the actions was planed or on purpose

so i am for rule on server 1 only drivers under 2,0 inc avg can join
Very good point. I was thinking about this for quite a bit. While I do agree that we shouldn't penalize unintentional accidents less, I do think that we should penalize griefers more. In the end the result would be the same both ways, but it just honestly is unfair that if I slightly bump into someone when racing door-to-door with all respect, I get penalized the same way a person who crashes intentionally or doesn't respect other drivers does. 

But it's probably close to impossible to differentiate for the system, if it accounted for the delta speed between the cars, it would result in: 
1) The victim getting penalized heftily for something they aren't responsible for
2) The griefers learning to do PIT maneuvers where the delta speed could be non-existent

There surely is a way to do it better (iRacing has it really good), but honestly at that point it's just complaining about minor details in software that's incredibly rich and powerful considering it's completely free and provides us with generally high-quality racing.

To me the detection system works ok and it's great for a system which is completely free, maybe it's just a bit too much sensitive (today during DRM i have been bumped very lightly, it hasn't affected mine or the other driver's race in any way but we both got 1 accident) but i like it.

To me there is a way to improve the system without making big changes: depending on the series, incidents should be penalized in different ways: in a series like TCR, door-to-door bumps should be allowed or cost 1 point per incident (assuming that all people race cleanly, and good part of this community does it).
In Formula 1 or open wheels, they should cost more since a single touch can damage the aerodynamic of the car (another option could be lowering the damage sensitivity to ~30%).

About incident average, i don't judge other drivers basing on it because for many people, accidents are mostly due to other people driving without any respect.
Many...many daily races have incident rates of 3-4 average per driver. That is too many in my opinion. When you look at the points standings, those in the upper reaches (high 700's and 800's) are typically below 2. That is what should be the goal. 80- 100 incidents per full server race is not good racing, in my opinion. Haven't done a daily race in a long time due to that. It has changed a lot in the last year. So, maybe bump and grind is the new thing. If so, then you are guaranteed an incident average in the 3-4 range....and the math that follows means that many will have trouble getting into anything above the 750's. If you don't care about that, then...have at it.
I built a modest "career" here at SRS by focussing primarily on safety. In almost 500 races, starting from nothing - total beginner - I never went past 1.7. This has served me well, delivering an overall rating position well above my driving skills (in absolute speed terms). Now that I have evolved somehow and can compete at decent levels, however, my attitude has become a hindrance. I am so hysterical about incidents that I give away positions too easily, and if something happens I get so furious that it affects my mood for the whole day. This isn't right, is it? Many of you will remember that I had launched a survey to see if people agreed with having at least some races only open to drivers below a certain inc avg, calculated on the last 50 races or so. E-VE-RY-BO-DY agreed. I shared the results with Henrique, who "took note" of my suggestion. Never heard a word since. Amen.
Incident racing is for yourself to make. It matters only really when driver rating is in question. So far we have two racing series that are rating dependant and that`s it. Besides that midpack is violent most of the times, inc. average irrelevant.
See you on track ~S!~ Big Grin