Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Tirewear/Fuelusage Short Race Series?
This prolly aint for everyone, but i would love to see a series that encourages a bit of strategy.

lately i have been watching alot of gt sport (the granturismo game) videos on youtube, and i find it quite interesting to see how ppl start fuelsaving and trying to minimize the tirewear, ontop u can take a pitstop, the races arent very long.

i do like the current race series, the length is ok, but i just dont feel like theres much strategy, u just turn ur laps and then its over.

the 1h series aint to good either, usually huge tracks, u never see anyone and saving fuel/saving tires doesnt seem to pay off much either. ontop its really not comfortable to race 1.5h in VR constantly, but thats my problem i guess Big Grin
The GT3 series a couple seasons ago had 200% tire usage and 170% fuel usage (or maybe the other way around I can't remember). Made it a pain in the ass for qualifying at the Nordschleife but it did create some good racing. Few laps of wheel-to-wheel followed by saving for a potential under or over-cut. While on 100% tire and fuel usuage, the 'silly strat' in the 1 hour races (single set of tires and 1L of fuel in the stop) should be the fastest. However, I've seen a tire change and a splash of fuel win the race too. Takes guys like Dean or Blint to pull it off... against each other... but it can work.
i am pretty sure the current 1h races have like 200tirewear/170fuel.

but if we'd put that into the short 20min races, i dont think it would be enough tbh. i can do decent laps for quite a while even on those settings.

its just a dream, to have some more intense races than just lapping like we are currently doing. just wanted to see if i am the only one with those dreams Big Grin
I agree that the current daily sprint races are basically hotlap events. I do enjoy them hugely and it's great flat out flag to flag racing. The "problems" that come with it are inherent to the format:

1) either nail your quali, start at the front and (usually) have a great racing experience, or overdrive on your quali lap, start midfield and try to survive Smile

2) Flat out hotlapping and every corner is a potential divebomb spot

But that's just sprint racing, nothing wrong with that.

I have to say that I hade a lot of fun on some PC2 formats where there were

1) 15 mins quali
2) 1 mandatory pitstop

5 mins more quali mean that you can probably get a clean lap in. In the 10 mins format only the last 2 laps give you a legit shot at a fast lap and often there is so much traffic with drivers that are 4, 5, 6 secs off the pace and/or struggling with the track that it's almost impossible to get even 1 lap in towards the end of the session. 5 more mins would give you a better chance at getting a clean lap without having to pray for an empty track in the last minute. it would be less of a lottery and more of a skill game.

I mean,  often leave up to 15 seconds to the guy in front and still I get someone in the way ... that's frustrating.

1 mandatory pit I thin makes for better racing because you can use that stop to undercut or overcut if you're stuck behind a slower guy, or roll up the field if you got crashed out in T1, or leave the guy in front/behind guessing. Again, it adds excitement, it adds racecraft and it dampens the luck factor and rewards skilled racing. No need to change tires or refuel, just add ther mandatory stop.

For me +/- 10 laps with mandatory stop has been the best online racing experience, the most fun online.

Having said that, I do tremendously enjoy the 20mins daily series. Some great racing most of the time. Which is much to be said, a very rare thing to find!

Cheers

Chris
(08-28-2019, 10:43 AM)Chris Herrmann Wrote:  I agree that the current daily sprint races are basically hotlap events. I do enjoy them hugely and it's great flat out flag to flag racing. The "problems" that come with it are inherent to the format:

1) either nail your quali, start at the front and (usually) have a great racing experience, or overdrive on your quali lap, start midfield and try to survive Smile

2) Flat out hotlapping and every corner is a potential divebomb spot

But that's just sprint racing, nothing wrong with that.

I have to say that I hade a lot of fun on some PC2 formats where there were

1) 15 mins quali
2) 1 mandatory pitstop

5 mins more quali mean that you can probably get a clean lap in. In the 10 mins format only the last 2 laps give you a legit shot at a fast lap and often there is so much traffic with drivers that are 4, 5, 6 secs off the pace and/or struggling with the track that it's almost impossible to get even 1 lap in towards the end of the session. 5 more mins would give you a better chance at getting a clean lap without having to pray for an empty track in the last minute. it would be less of a lottery and more of a skill game.

I mean,  often leave up to 15 seconds to the guy in front and still I get someone in the way ... that's frustrating.

1 mandatory pit I thin makes for better racing because you can use that stop to undercut or overcut if you're stuck behind a slower guy, or roll up the field if you got crashed out in T1, or leave the guy in front/behind guessing. Again, it adds excitement, it adds racecraft and it dampens the luck factor and rewards skilled racing. No need to change tires or refuel, just add ther mandatory stop.

For me +/- 10 laps with mandatory stop has been the best online racing experience, the most fun online.

Having said that, I do tremendously enjoy the 20mins daily series. Some great racing most of the time. Which is much to be said, a very rare thing to find!

Cheers

Chris

Totally agree Chris,

i wasnt trying to shittalk the current sprints, was more wondering if other ppl would be interested in a bit more strategy races. i do enjoy the sprint races too, but sometimes i am just not feeling like hotlapping xD

on a side note, that bmw m4 race, it seems like the tires wear down rather fast, or to be exact, the tires start being trash at 99% value already, so driving a bit more smart actually paid of rather good in that series today. the car itself is trash tho xD