Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing
If there s anything simple, illustrated, to go by and put in the guidelines, i would say those 3 would be a good start. I bet most of the incs happen like that, like 75%, and i also bet most of the drivers don't know about them.

A. Attacker more than half-way alongside
[Image: f1_apex_a.png]

In this case, the attacker is definitely more than halfway past the defender at the apex. The attacker has the right to the racing line. A collision at the apex is entirely the fault of the defender.

B. Attacker less than half-way alongside

[Image: f1_apex_b.png]

In this case, the attacker has only their front wing alongside the defender’s rear wheel. The defender has the right to the racing line. A collision at the apex is entirely the fault of the attacker.

C. Attacker approximately half-way alongside

[Image: f1_apex_c.png]

In this case, the attacker’s front axle is ahead of the defender’s rear axle and the two cars are approximately halfway alongside. Both drivers have a reasonable claim to the apex. If contact occurs, blame will have to be shared. It is in this zone that racing incidents can occur.
It is generally accepted that the attacker must be at least halfway alongside the defender when they reach the apex to have a reasonable claim to this piece of track. Moreover, the attacker should not have achieved this position by carrying too much speed to make the corner  — this method is called dive-bombing.

Now this isn't to say incidents should never happen like this, sometimes it's just honest mistakes (altough stewards and race directors wouldn't care about that) but at least people should be aware what is the right thing to do or avoid doing.

Messages In This Thread
5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing - by Luiz Lotito - 07-18-2019, 08:02 PM
RE: 5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing - by James Blint - 07-22-2019, 04:34 AM
RE: 5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing - by Kees Post - 08-01-2019, 07:15 PM