Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Integrate an auto ballast app
An automated ballast assign thingy would be a great addition to SRS IMO.

Stereo threw together an app that assigns a predefined amount of ballast to each position (e.g 70kg for 1st 65kg for 2nd) but you have to click a button in an app to apply it. Something that does the same but is automatic would work really well with SRS.

There's the obvious single make races with either qualifying result ballast, or, 2 race format and race 1 result ballast but also things like MX5 cup vs Abarth 500 cup car, we tried this on our server and it worked really well. That example would work great if twisty-ish tracks were selected and the Mazdas got roughly 50kg ballast in the entry list which would be overwritten by the auto thingy after qualifying.
I assume this would be to tighten the field? I think the majority of drivers here (me included) have enough trouble practicing enough with a car without added weight to spice things up. I don't think such a thing here would go over all that well.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(05-23-2019, 09:42 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  I assume this would be to tighten the field? I think the majority of drivers here (me included) have enough trouble practicing enough with a car without added weight to spice things up. I don't think such a thing here would go over all that well.

Ballast can often make the car feel a touch more stable. The change is pretty subtle, not much different than e.g temp switching 10c or so. If someone is made unsafe by < 100kg ballast should they be driving the car with other people online? And yes it is generally used to close up the field, it can replicate some real life style races such as BTCC which assigns ballast for race 1 based on championship position and then races 2 & 3 based on previous race finishing position.

I got thinking about it more for the other possibility of allowing SRS to run more multi car grids also. I'm guessing the reason they dont run similar pace multicar grids that might need a small amount of BoP, such as those 2 cup cars or GTA, Fulvia, TZ & 718RS, is the BoP could need adjusting track to track and maybe they dont want to do that but success ballast could be used to level close paced cars a bit over multiple circuits rather than predefined amounts of ballast set each race before a season that would require a tester to run each track to get the BoP correct. They could just run it and let the auto-ballast sort small differences in pace out.
Sign me up! I would love to join a series with ballast for the fastest guys. Way back in the days of GT6 I participated in a series like you want Andy and it was the most enjoyable and closest racing I had ever been a part of, mostly because I could battle with people instead of getting left behind. I learned a lot about racecraft and car positioning on track when side by side with another car - that's a skill that many racers on SRS need to improve, and practice is the best way to improve.

I would suggest the ballast used be enough to create similar laptimes throughout the field. So if first place laps at 1min, but 15th place laps at 1min05sec. Then adjust the ballast so that 1st gets a lot heavier and 15th gets a lot lighter in order to equalize laptimes to say 1min03sec. 4L of gas weighs 3kg, so adjusting everyone's fuel tank could be a way to another way to add ballast.
It's really enjoyable in AC to Smile especially with 2 race format and top X players reversed for race 2 with success ballast on top. I don't think you can level the whole field with it. The pace gap is just too large a lot of the time, the pole guy would need 200-300kg or more and would be a sitting duck. Still it levels the field or cars a bit and creates another interesting dynamic to the races and maybe would have SRS featuring more multicar grids also.