Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brands Hatch - Ford Sierra
Hey gang, Not sure if this is the right place for this post so please let me know and I'll move it. 
I'm realitivly new to sim racing as I just started last fall. I finally got a rig an H-shifter and a nice set of CSL pedals. I race in VR only. I've been racing many different series on SRS for the last few weeks, sometimes 2 or 3 races a night. I've gone from 8,500 to 2,932 in the rankings . I'm usually in last place every race and make quite a few errors late in the race (feels like the brakes get soft and the tires lose grip). I've subscribed to every Youtube racing channel and watch tons of videos every day. The Driver61 series is amazing. Viperconcept is very helpful. 
Been working really hard practicing the Brands GP- Sierra combo, getting all my breaking points down and my racing line correct and trying to just stay on the track, along with heel-toe downshifting ect.. After hours of practice I've gotten down to under 1:42.8. I was so sad when I realized I'm still about 5-10 seconds off everyone else. Seems like everyone else is just blowing by me and I'm hanging on for life. Any tips for making up 5-10 seconds? I just can't seem to wrap my head around where they are going to come from. 10 seconds is a lot. Thanks in advance for any help or tips, Jason
How about you film your lap around Brands and post it here? That's the easiest way for people to see what you do wrong and give you hints on how to get faster.
I'll try that. Is cockpit view or the view from outside best?
(02-16-2019, 10:47 AM)Jason Schofield Wrote:  I'll try that. Is cockpit view or the view from outside best?

Cockpit please, but i also recommend you to get into habit of reviewing your driving from outside camera angle, that way you can easily see where you don't use all of track, how much you miss apexes etc. 
Using replay and being a passenger with the fast guys helps as well.
@Jason you mentioned that you got your time down to a 1.42.8, how many laps in a row are you able to do with .5seconds of that time?

Consistency is key, especially for a 20 min race. If you can't lap at a steady pace then we need to look at your driving techniques to help give you specific advice.

Once you can do 3 or 4 laps in a row at that pace you should start looking into getting a proper setup. Correct tire type and psi values are critical in AC. Gearing can also make a big difference. I recommend you download the setup market app. You can download other peoples tunes for car/track combos which can be very helpful if you don't know anything about tuning. A good tune can be 2 or 3 seconds quicker than default on most car/track combos.
@Jason Jones Got down to a 1:41:380 last night. I can usually do many laps within a few seconds of each other. Not .5 though. Getting there. I've had the setup market app for quite sometime. A lot of times I can't find the car/track combo I need. But I have used it on a lot of the career mode races. I'll have to study the tire psi more. I don't usually mess with it yet. I have studied the gear ratios and have messed with it a bit. Some of the cars here on SRS are locked so you're kinda stuck with the default. Appreciate all your input. Thanks!
A quick thing to check before we get into analysis of driving style is to open the Pedals app so you can see the inputs of each pedal - make sure that your accelerator goes to 100% when you push it all the way down.
Then leave the pedals app visible when you record a lap, which lets us see the pedal inputs on the video. Cockpit view with steering wheel visible if possible.

Do post a video if you can, really is the only way to get good feedback.

Also watch your own replay from external views so you can see if you are using all the track. 

In the Sierra you want to aim for 29 Psi at race pace so adjust accordingly. Use medium tyres, softs don’t hold up over 20 mins in this car.

I don’t have an onboard to hand from Brands but here is my PB lap at Mugello, might give you an idea what this car looks like when approaching the limit.

(02-17-2019, 10:41 AM)Alex Leif Wrote:  A quick thing to check before we get into analysis of driving style is to open the Pedals app so you can see the inputs of each pedal - make sure that your accelerator goes to 100% when you push it all the way down.
Then leave the pedals app visible when you record a lap, which lets us see the pedal inputs on the video. Cockpit view with steering wheel visible if possible.

Do post a video if you can, really is the only way to get good feedback.

Also watch your own replay from external views so you can see if you are using all the track. 

In the Sierra you want to aim for 29 Psi at race pace so adjust accordingly. Use medium tyres, softs don’t hold up over 20 mins in this car.

I don’t have an onboard to hand from Brands but here is my PB lap at Mugello, might give you an idea what this car looks like when approaching the limit.

I got a 1:39:510 during qualies tonight. My race was horrible though. Dude clipped me on the last turn on the first lap and I never recovered. Kept sliding off the track even with med tires. Thanks for the vid. I'm new to recording and I race in VR so it's taking me longer to get it done. Thanks for all your help.
Here is a 1.33.876 lap from a race of mine earlier in the week. That is pretty close to my current PB of 1.33.789 but I don't have a replay of that. In fact I chose the wrong lap from the replay I do have, I meant to record the next lap which was a 1.33.853 but they are near as damn it the same so didn't bother to re-record.

Hope it helps!