Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So long RS500
Again, many thanks to all those who contributed to the interesting discussion on the Cosworth. Several inputs allowed me to shave nearly 2 and a half seconds off my laptime at Mugello. Until...

I installed the latest mod. A difficult car has become, for me, utterly, completely undrivable. All my references are out of the window, by a large margin, and there is no way on earth I can get any sense of the tire temperatures/pressure (rears red hot all the time, regardless of initial pressure...). I do not intend to put in the time to unlearn what I painfully learned, and start afresh with a car that looks the same but is completely different.

Furthermore, and infuriatingly, being kicked out for having the previous version of the car cost me nearly 10 points of rating. Why? Only because I do not follow every new announcement about new mods? I didn't do anything intentionally wrong. The app did not inform me that I had an old model and that downloads are required. Such a harsh penalty for something that did not damage anybody else.

So, I'm off to hopefully greener pastures. Good luck to all the racers in this beautiful series.
Well, you should actually check which version of the car is running. Yes, it's costing you a little bit of time, but judging by your posts here you put a lot of effort into practising. The least you can do is take a minute to check which version of the car you're running (and have to run)
Dennis I think you are missing the point here. The mod for the RS500 has just been updated, partway through the season.

So Pete has been working very hard to improve times on the RS500 that was being used, but now after the update, is not up to redoing all the work he has put in.
Pete, just to clarify you don’t lose driver points for being kicked out of a race for having incorrect car version.

The only way you would lose those points is by not taking part in the race at all. So if you get kicked for checksum as long as you get back in before the race starts you are not penalised at all.

This happened to me yesterday but I just quickly downloaded the new version and then joined in time for half of qualifying, plenty of time for a couple of hot laps.

I agree this update is harder to drive and I don’t enjoy it as much overall, but in a way I think that it feels better through the wheel. It does seem to require a little more precision on the inputs now and softs are no longer the best tyre over 20 mins.

After a couple of races in the new version I got to about 0.5 off my previous PB, but the pace drops off quicker as the tyres wear more, so the car is a bit slower over race distance overall.
I would go so far and say that you don't even need to come back before the start to avoid large loss of rating. Unless you are highly rated driver, just avoiding DNF should be enough not to lose rating. So, even if you can't get back in time, still connect, do 3 laps without any incidents and you should be fine, even get some points for championship. I think I read somewhere here that 3 laps are minimum not to have DNF. There are always people who don't connect at all or rage quit in first lap or two so you shouldn't be dead last anyway. It still sucks, but it's better than just quitting immediately.
(01-27-2019, 10:41 AM)Alex Leif Wrote:  Pete, just to clarify you don’t lose driver points for being kicked out of a race for having incorrect car version.

The only way you would lose those points is by not taking part in the race at all. So if you get kicked for checksum as long as you get back in before the race starts you are not penalised at all.

This happened to me yesterday but I just quickly downloaded the new version and then joined in time for half of qualifying, plenty of time for a couple of hot laps.

I agree this update is harder to drive and I don’t enjoy it as much overall, but in a way I think that it feels better through the wheel. It does seem to require a little more precision on the inputs now and softs are no longer the best tyre over 20 mins.

After a couple of races in the new version I got to about 0.5 off my previous PB, but the pace drops off quicker as the tyres wear more, so the car is a bit slower over race distance overall.

Yep, just like I mentioned here http://www.simracingsystem.com/showthrea...4#pid24144
NEVER GIVE UP!
...never surrender!  Car feels good at Donnington (and I hate the ‘donkey’).
(01-27-2019, 10:41 AM)Alex Leif Wrote:  Pete, just to clarify you don’t lose driver points for being kicked out of a race for having incorrect car version.

You are correct as usual, Alex. Problem is that, instead of going right away to download the new mod (since I didn't know that was the problem), I tried a couple of more times to join. Then downloaded and installed, but arrived a few seconds too late to re-join... Speed seems to be my cross in this hobby! ;-)
Next time, go to the online lobby of Assetto Corsa. Search for the server called "Simracingsystem" and you're back in